• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I punish effectively with Fox?

squashhime

Smash Rookie
I can get a shine or grab off pretty easily, but I usually don't get more than a couple % because I always get it with an attack or hit a shield when I'm trying to follow up. What's the general strategy for getting more % off of one grab or shine?

hi im dennis

Smash Apprentice
I use this combo a lot.

SH nair > shine > wavedash > grab > up throw > uair strings or whatever aerials you can get.
If they are at low percents you can upsmash after the up throw instead.
If you are against a fox or falco and maybe falcon you can up throw chain grab.

Dash attack into up smash works a lot, if they don't DI or tech your down throw you can up smash.
Waveshine into up smash is pretty guarenteed.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
We can't really teach you how to play the game. You can be a couple steps away from a platform, and the situation will be entirely different than if you were right under the platform. There are a lot of options to consider and cover, and the best way for you to learn and notice them is to play the game or watch gameplay.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Well, understanding the physics of the game helps a lot. Especially how to combo fastfallers vs. floaties. You have to know what works against each character, like against Sheik, she can jump out of drill -> shine -> upsmash after she gets launched at certain percents, so you'd have to wait to follow up after that. So baiting out the jump can get you a better combo. But against a Marth, if you upthrow him, you can get a bunch of upairs because he has nothing that covers underneath him.
But like everyone else is saying, more specific questions would allow a better answer lol. I'd say just know what combos work in certain matchups, and know you have to combo each character differently.

L33thal

Smash Apprentice
I think the two most common combo starters for Fox are shine and grab (up-tilt is nice but it's more situational, even more so for down-tilt). In general, you want to keep your opponent in the air to juggle them so you'll want to usually go for things like up-throw to up-air or SH nair chains.

For shine:

If your opponent's character doesn't get knocked down by shine, you can wavedash in their direction and either:
1. Dash->grab
2. Dash->SH nair
3. Dash->up-smash
4. Dash->SH dair
5. Waveshine

4 is very SDI dependent, while 1 and 2 are more consistent for following up against SDI. 3 is usually used as a finisher, but can also be used to send the opponent into the air to juggle them but depends on their DI. 5 only works against characters like Falcon, Peach, Link, Ganon and is also very SDI dependent.

If your opponent's character does get knocked down, you can wavedash in their direction and either:
1. Jab reset if they don't tech
2. SH up-air to cover tech in place or no tech
3. Dash to tech chase and have an opportunity to grab

For grab:

The basic followups for up-throw are:
1. Regrab (if they're spacies)
2. Up-smash (if they're a fastfaller)
3. Up-air
4. Weak hit full-hop bair
5. Chase with bair/nair as a finisher
6. Weak hit reverse full-hop/DJ nair

Last edited:

fratstar

Smash Rookie
I think the two most common combo starters for Fox are shine and grab (up-tilt is nice but it's more situational, even more so for down-tilt). In general, you want to keep your opponent in the air to juggle them so you'll want to usually go for things like up-throw to up-air or SH nair chains.

For shine:

If your opponent's character doesn't get knocked down by shine, you can wavedash in their direction and either:
1. Dash->grab
2. Dash->SH nair
3. Dash->up-smash
4. Dash->SH dair
5. Waveshine

4 is very SDI dependent, while 1 and 2 are more consistent for following up against SDI. 3 is usually used as a finisher, but can also be used to send the opponent into the air to juggle them but depends on their DI. 5 only works against characters like Falcon, Peach, Link, Ganon and is also very SDI dependent.

If your opponent's character does get knocked down, you can wavedash in their direction and either:
1. Jab reset if they don't tech
2. SH up-air to cover tech in place or no tech
3. Dash to tech chase and have an opportunity to grab

For grab:

The basic followups for up-throw are:
1. Regrab (if they're spacies)
2. Up-smash (if they're a fastfaller)
3. Up-air
4. Weak hit full-hop bair
5. Chase with bair/nair as a finisher
6. Weak hit reverse full-hop/DJ nair
Awesome job, thank you so much more making this