• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I play against gimpy marths

Simonblaze

Smash Rookie
So I have this friend who's been playing for significantly longer than me. He mains marth and whenever I play against him it usually goes the same way. He will instantly start the match by rushing me with sh double fairs, if I shield them I get grabbed, if he hits me I will end up getting grabbed.. Then its usually a series of throws until I'm near the ledge.

Once he gets me off stage with a downtilt or Fsmash he will cover my side b on stage with a jab, cover my side b to ledge with a downtilt, and cover my up b with a Fsmash if I'm going high, or a counter if I'm coming up from below the stage, leading to a dropdown fair or reverse up-b.

Any tips you guys have to help me mixup my recovery against him to avoid getting gimped would be great

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
if you get grabbed it's game over unless the marth messes up. just don't get hit. if he sh doubkes fairs, then punish him for doing that and observe his habits and how they relate to that and other things.

if he doesn't tipper jab (maybe tip too, idk, might have too much kb) you can SDI toward the stage and air dodge. if you side b and make it on stage, SDI down so he can't down tilt you off stage. to work on your recovery, practice techs and your options out of them. nobody does air dodge after a wall jump tech and that should be pretty good sometimes. sode b after it works too, or you could just firefox again and reset the situation. other than that, practice mangles.

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
SH double fair isn't really too safe, grab him out of it.
Once you're off the edge, you could try mixing up your double jump, or recovering close to a wall.
You don't really want to get grabbed or put in an edgeguard situation at all really, the Marth can kinda just Flowchart their edgeguards on you unless you're tricky.

T^2

Smash Cadet
Getting grabbed as fox vs Marth is one of the worst positions in the game to be in. If you're on a stage with platforms try di'ng to those to force a tech chase out of him. Other than that if you can get him to hit your shield with a fair you can up smash or grab him out of shield. Last piece of advice: try to sweet spot with up b from below the stage. If you can figure out how to wall ride to sweet spot or just figure out spots below the stage that you can easily angle to the ledge, that'll improve your recovery dramatically. Best of luck!

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Speaking of Gimpy Marths...
Just played "Iceman," #3 ranked in Washington, on Thursday. I lost, which is to be expected, but I was streamed so I'm waiting for the VOD to make it to youtube.
He's really good at the Fox MU due to his Toph & SW training so it could be good to look over my set.

T^2

Smash Cadet
I personally would recommend not going for the platforms as the Marth can up air and cover all options on a platform.
better than getting chaingrabbed to death, at least you have a decent chance of getting out with a tech chase.does up air cover the techs out on battlefield and ps?

Last edited:
To quote from Kadano's perfect Marth Class
The timing for jump and upair are the same for all 4 of Fox’s options. The only difference is that you need to fastfall if he techs in place or doesn’t tech to hit him with the tipper hurtbox. This works on all characters, but on Pikachu and Pichu you need to be frame perfect as their tech has longer invincibility. It also works on most stages, but on Battlefield you need to hold left/right as soon as you see them tech-rolling in that direction because its platforms are the widest.
So you can cover battlefield with Up Air but it is a bit harder than other stages like Yoshi's. EDIT: Fixed formatting issue with original post

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
To quote from Kadano's perfect Marth Class So you can cover battlefield with Up Air but it is a bit harder than other stages like Yoshi's. EDIT: Fixed formatting issue with original post
i love you

You can try to double stick DI up air and up tilt on platforms to slide off or not be launched. I do it a lot accidentally and usually get combo'd anyway since it still leaves Fox in a poor position.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
oh and something a little obvious that I should do myself.

Laser. It forces the marth to approach & not just sit there & dash dance. Instead of risking going in and potentially getting grabbed, just kinda sit back and make them come to you sometimes.

also, my set (i got kinda fked): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Weahb9uUOgE
flubbed a crap ton game 2, also could've just sat back and lasered more... Going again next week, this time I'm not going falco in losers and getting knocked out like round 3. Also will laser more.

vizayad89

Smash Rookie
If your biggest problem is that you are getting punished, then you should just try and not get punished. Work on your neutral game/dash dancing and spacing. If you know he will come at you with a SH double fair, bait it out with dash dancing or wavedash back, and then punish. Marth punishes spacies hard, so you have to not put yourself in a position to get punished.

T^2

Smash Cadet
If your biggest problem is that you are getting punished, then you should just try and not get punished. Work on your neutral game/dash dancing and spacing. If you know he will come at you with a SH double fair, bait it out with dash dancing or wavedash back, and then punish. Marth punishes spacies hard, so you have to not put yourself in a position to get punished.
So in short: don't get hit?

(Sorry I had to)

Last edited:
Top Bottom