• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I perfect Wave land

Osmosis124

Smash Cadet
I read some of the patch notes saying that his wave land is much better and from lurking these forums I keep hearing the term Perfect Waveland.

How do I perform this and what are it's uses with bowser?

Pluttergub

Smash Cadet
Perfect Wavelanding is performed by air dodging completely horizontally JUST above the ground. It's easier with certain characters than others (Ganondorf's is pretty easy), and some characters can't do it at all. Bowser's perfect waveland seems to be a 1 or 2 frame window, so it's possible to get pretty consistent with practice. You can also perfect waveland onto platforms either from above or below. A quick note: you cannot perform a perfect waveland immediately after you jump like you can perform a wavedash.

Perfect wavelanding is deemed such because it yields the maximum distance possible from a waveland. This means you can more effectively approach opponents than with wavedashing. Since 3.5 is still pretty new, most people don't expect Bowser to have such good burst movement, and wavelanding can thus catch your opponent off guard if used intelligently. Offensive options out of perfect wavelands include Forward Tilt, Jab, Down Tilt, Grab, or jumping and using an aerial. Defensive options should also be considered; shielding immediately after a waveland towards your opponent can be used to bait out a reaction that leaves them in a disadvantageous position. You can also waveland backwards to mix it up.

Overall, it's definitely worth practicing if you want to play Bowser at a medium to high level of skill. This character has been sorely lacking movement options since his Melee debut. With the addition of a practical and safe movement option, Bowser has gained significantly more potential to be viable, even good, in competitive play.

xGat0x

Immaculate Maverick
Can you perfect Waveland with falco? I mean completely horizontally? Because I've been putting in my hours and I only seem to get it ALMOST horizontally but never completely in melee.

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Can you perfect Waveland with falco? I mean completely horizontally? Because I've been putting in my hours and I only seem to get it ALMOST horizontally but never completely in melee.
I don't think you can PWL in Melee. That said, the best way to check if you can do it with Falco in PM is to go into debug mode and just check frame-by-frame.

Gayl0rd

Smash Rookie
It's something you'll have to practice a lot to get a handle on it. I've been playing bowser for almost a year now and still don't get PWL's 100% of the time.

Top Bottom