• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I not get zoned out with Peach?

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929
While I have her tech skill, combos, and mechanics pretty much down. I'm struggling to understand certain MU's. Mainly ones that can zone me out with either projectiles or moves with range in general.

:4megaman:: Pretty much my kryptonite when I play Peach. I have no clue what to do.

:4marth:: This one really just relies on me being patient

:4link:: I heard this one is sort of a problem for Peach. I've not fought many good Links so I wouldn't know. The ones I have fought I beat pretty easily. I don't know maybe its because I understand Link or something.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
Short hop airdodge is your friend against zoners. It also opens up plenty of mixups. You can float out of it, nair, double jump into jcff.
Its super helpful and will give you a better edge against zoners.

TheBlackLuffy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheBlackLuffy
Switch FC
8040 1413 9929

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
Okay Thanks! Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong in terms of dealing with this type of Zoning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiQtivF5_zQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhStgP-ihGA
that's not really zoning lol. I think you were doing well for the most part. you just gave up a lot of stage control and didnt respect his spacing. I think you got spacing and zoning confused. <3 For the most part though your approaches were off too. I like to throw turnips at Marth to keep him out. I don't know for sure how Marth v Peach is in sm4sh but i still treat the mu the same I do in melee. Respect his spacing and throw turnips at him to get in, hold on to your stage control as well.

Parisienne

Umbran Witch
I personally find Toon Link more capable of zoning Peach out than Link due to his sheer mobility. He's probably worth a mention. I do not like the matchup very much because I like plucking non stop and the projectile game often makes me take a hit for it.

Shallus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shallus
Okay Thanks! Could you tell me what I'm doing wrong in terms of dealing with this type of Zoning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiQtivF5_zQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhStgP-ihGA
One thing that I noticed in these matches is that you might not be taking full advantage of your grabs when you do manage to get in vs. the zoning. You often got past his zoning and landed a grab, but only ended up forward/up throwing. You can probably go for down throw + followups (ftilt at 0%, bair at low-mid %, up air at mid-high %) depending on the DI, or even an up smash as an airdodge read out of down throw for an early KO. Additionally, you can try to apply more float dair shield pressure when you do manage to get past his zoning as Marth doesn't really have any amazing out of shield options to deal with that, and dair can lead to high damage followups like fair.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
Walk to them instead of running when your in the range of their projectiles so you can shield instantly. Jump/float only when you know your safe. Only start attacking when they're at a range where stuff like your aerials, turnips or dash attack can hit. Look at the pattern in which they throw projectiles and how they move. When you get clsoe to them, they will usually try jumping over you or attempt an approach. Remember to be safe: if you cannot hit them, at least make sure they don't hit you either.

Ximlee

Smash Cadet
As a couple bits of general advice, you definitely want to use down throw more often, especially at lower percents. Otherwise, I think you'd definitely benefit from rolling a teeny bit less and maybe mixing things up with floats a bit more? Good luck! c:

Last edited:
Top Bottom