• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I JC Grab?

manlypass@gmail.com

Smash Rookie
I read the definition of the term, jump cancel Grab...it said to hit x/y or up on the analog stick then grab. Falco just does his Nair if I do that.

Can anyone please tell me how to do this? Maybe show me a video...

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Um, you're just pressing the grab button after your jump too slow. I run, hit x, then immediately after,(like think the timing for a wavedash), hit z. You can tell it worked because he won't drop to his knee when grabbing. Instead he'll stand tall and grab. It's likely one of the easiest advanced techniques to pick-up. I got it after a few tries.

manlypass@gmail.com

Smash Rookie
k, didn't know there was an actual timing to it, errr well, I did know there was a timing, I just didn't know whether I had to do it fast or jump in the air and hit z right before I hit the ground, kind of like wavelanding.

solidsnak3

Smash Rookie
just a hint, pushing up on the analog stick makes it so much easier to jc grab. Try using yoshi and jc grabbing cuz you can really tell the difference when u are actually doing it and when your not. Go search up that ssbm video on these boards with all the technical terms. Hope it helps

invertigo

Smash Journeyman
obviously if youre jumping then press it faster. that shouldve been obvious.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
there have been debates on what works better. The consensus is that it is entirely player dependent. There is no "right way" to jc grab, it's just what you feel comfortable with.

A clearer definition of the term is canceling the jump animation with a grab. So you start the jump animation, which involves your character bending down preparing to jump, and then extending his legs to jump and eventually getting in the air. This happnes all fairly fast, so it's hard to see it in these parts, but just be aware that that's how it works. Now the object of jc grabbing is to hit grab while you're in the windup of the jump animation, while the character is still on the ground, but preparing to jump. The main utility of jcing a grab is to run and then jc grab so that you don't have to deal with the ****ty lag time of your character's missed running grab animation. There are also little advantages like different grab boxes and speeds, but mainly it's minimizing lag.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom