• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I improve my Wired Connection from my Wii U LAN Adapter?

Neos

Smash Cadet
So yeah I'm very confused and I need some help. After playing many laggy matches using Wireless connection, I decided to have a Wired Connection for a change instead. I did the whole Wired Connection setup that involves the Wii U LAN Adapter (apparently the adapter is not from Nintendo) connecting to an Ethernet cable, and having the Ethernet cable connecting to a working router (the Wii U and router are in rooms next to each other). After setting all of this up, I tested the Wired Connection and my Wii U system said that the connection was successful.

However, I did at least ten matches online afterwards, most of them For Glory, and all of them were lagging just like the Wireless Connection did. For some reason there was no change in lag at all. I also want to mention that I made sure that my Wired Connection was already selected as my default connection, so the choice of my default connection is definitely not the issue. So anyone have any ideas on what I can do to improve my Wired Connection?

iMoLaTe

Smash Cadet
its as simple as online gameplay being garbage, if its not you its them, if its not you or them, you're to far apart.

I live in australia, we can't play online at all.

xPROFx

Smash Cadet
NNID
omoprof
Problems with router? Try without router / open ports on router

xPROFx

Smash Cadet
NNID
omoprof
First try playing without router. If works fine then problem with router. If not, problem with your ISP/WiiU/bad match-ups

Neos

Smash Cadet
So apparently after a lot of testing, my connection is better going wireless than wired. This makes no sense and it makes me sad because I still go through a lot of lag using wireless connection anyway. So there's no other way for me to have a very good connection? Otherwise it might be best for me to avoid online play so I won't have to deal with the laggy gameplay.

(I know, I took FOREVER to reply :ohwell:)

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
Do you have other devices that are on the network? Like a PC that is always on, or a cell phone attached to an email service? If true, then your router may have some Quality of Service settings that will strangle your Wii U's signal when the other devices are on. I've found that a lot of routers default to let voice services, email retrieval, streaming services and others more priority than games. Going to your QoS settings on your router and giving the Wii U priority over those services can help alleviate issues. I mention this because you can have choking regardless of a wired or wireless when this is the case. (Example is my phone is attached to my work email so will ping and refresh stuff constantly, or my media pc will download updates for Steam while I play on my Wii U.)

Neos

Smash Cadet
Do you have other devices that are on the network? Like a PC that is always on, or a cell phone attached to an email service? If true, then your router may have some Quality of Service settings that will strangle your Wii U's signal when the other devices are on. I've found that a lot of routers default to let voice services, email retrieval, streaming services and others more priority than games. Going to your QoS settings on your router and giving the Wii U priority over those services can help alleviate issues. I mention this because you can have choking regardless of a wired or wireless when this is the case. (Example is my phone is attached to my work email so will ping and refresh stuff constantly, or my media pc will download updates for Steam while I play on my Wii U.)
I think I see what you mean. Come to think of it, there's most likely a lot of wireless signals coming from all over my house, such as laptops, CPUs, phones, and probably some others I don't know about. I would like to know how to access this QoS so I can make my router focus more on my Wii U because I have no idea how. But quick question though, if I make my router focus more on my Wii U will it affect the connection for the other devices in my house in any way?

If I'm way off please say so.

Last edited:

GhostUrsa

Smash Ace
NNID
GhostUrsa
3DS FC
1220-6542-6727
In a way it will effect other stuff, but only if they are on at the same time. The router is using the QoS to determine how much of your bandwidth it should be giving to each device as it needs it. Example would be if you decided to stream Netflix from your PC. If someone else turned your Wii U on and started playing smash online, your router would give the Wii U more bandwidth than your Netflix streaming so you might get a less quality stream. You'll have to go over the trade offs to see which devices you want with certain priorities with different activities. I, for example, have it so that my Wii U and 3DS have priority when they are on, since I don't have them on all the time, and then the rest of my priorities are software focused (which is how QoS is defaulted to work since it had PC's in mind and not consoles.).

Since I don't have my Wii U on all the time I know that I don't have to worry about my Pc experience being effected so much, but when I need to play Wii U with my daughter online my wife can't accidentally screw everything up when she wants to stream a show from Netflix while knitting using her tablet. Her tablet's resolution wouldn't benefit from the improved bandwidth, and she hasn't really noticed any problems since I changed things up but I've seen a great improvement of performance.

In my case, I found that most of my QoS services where also giving priorities to applications I didn't use often or at all, like Vuze services and Warcraft 3 multiplayer. Removing them doesn't really effect performance too much, but at least it's not constantly listening for ports/services that will never be used.

As for how to get to your QoS settings, it will depend on the router. You'll want to look at your model and see where it is. (The manual can help, or a google search to the manufacturer's site). Traditionally, it is either found in the advanced settings section or the WAN section from what I've found. Keep in mind, the older the router the less likely you'll have this setting.

Top Bottom