• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I hop on squirtle shell properly?

Perfect patricia

Smash Apprentice
Sometimes I go against players who spam side b and it can be really hard to punish. But I know one way is to hop on him and it’s a free punish like in the Mario games. But it’s really hard for me to do, any tips?

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I would probably focus on shielding and parrying more than hopping on Squirtles she’ll. That’s just such an inconsistent option

Arrei

Smash Lord
Squirtle != Koopa.
Squirtle actually does become wide open if you stomp on Withdraw.

If Squirtle is mixing it up when he uses Withdraw, then the option is too inconsistent to rely on. You pretty much have to predict it coming. But, if you can identify a habit that they have, such as constantly using it in midair while moving away from you so that he suddenly makes a sudden approach at you, then that's pretty much the best time to go for it. If you want to actually practice it, then have a friend constantly spam it at you just so you can get a feel for how fast you need to drop to land on it.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Squirtle moves so fast that its hard to do on reaction. A smart Squirtle player will be extremely hard to land on. However, even if you don't manage to land on him he still does have a tiny amount of endlag if he misses the attack, so if you make sure not to be too predictable with when you jump in neutral you might be able to punish Withdraw if its used too recklessly. Certain moves and projectiles can stop Squirtle's momentum and leave him open for a quick punish so if your character has any of these try to make smart use of it to keep Squirtle from abusing that move.

Another weakness of that move is its long start up time. Squirtle can't use it safely in close quarters combat. He especially struggles with sword fighters who manage to stay in his face because he can't contest with their attack range.

Edgar Chez

Smash Rookie
I really dont know that actually he can be stomped, only afaik he has no hurtbox while he is in, I´m gonna lab it. ty

Last edited:
Top Bottom