• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I guard the edge with Sonic?

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
More specifically, when they've grabbed it and are getting back up? If you want to give me tips for off-ledge game, that's appreciated too.

In addition, which of Sonic's aerials have the least landing lag? That's probably his nair, right?

Lastly, when I approach via >B and Homing Attack, I've been getting shielded lately. What are my options after I get shielded, or how should I alternatively approach a projectile spammer (like Dark Pit)?

The Pizza Guy

Smash Apprentice
If you want a low landing lag aerial I recommend using uair or nair (I do believe uair has less ending lag though)
Try hitting them with dtilt before they reach the ledge.
That's all I got.

kataridragon

Smash Ace
You know I have had great success with bating the attack and punishing with a f smash. But that's pretty universal.

I guess it's good to know f smash doesn't trade.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Moved to the Sonic boards.

Please don't make close ended character specific threads in the competitive discussion.
Right, like this board needs more threads with only one question in the OP with simple answers. :X

Tomo009

Smash Apprentice
I'm mostly liking diving off the edge with fAir and bAir.

If they recover low, go for a bAir stage spike, it kills some characters at really low %.

If they recover high, try to jump > aerial, double jump > aerial or spring > aerial if its really high.

Spring in particular is good to catch them off guard with a bAir at higher %, I find it hard to close stocks on some characters like Bowser and this has been an effective stock taker for me.

If they make it to the ledge, its completely character specific what you can go for but if you expect a jump or ledge attack, fSmash timed right is usually a nice way to take a stock. If you expect a roll, I find dSmash more consistent as I can't predict every character's ending position yet.

Another thing you can do is jump out > dAir then double jump spring to recover.
Even if you don't land the spike you knock them back out with decent knockback and on whiff Sonic is fairly safe recovering from this low with spring.

Other than that I don't really know what you should go for. You don't have to stick to the ledge though, it is often a good idea to go really deep for a fAir or something, close out a stock early as I find I usually have to build my opponent's % pretty high if I can't land an early kill like this.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Do the sonic boards need cleaning up love?

Gimme a list, I'll get it done.
Yes, we definitely do. Thanks!

Yo guys, let's not sleep on this offer.

First, I motion that if @ Sonic Orochi Sonic Orochi would like to take it on, that he cleans up his thread Changes From Brawl etc. and that could become the hub for all discussion relating to things about Sonic that have stayed the same or have changed about Sonic between versions. Perhaps it could even evolve to be a thorough moveset analysis/breakdown thread, as the currently stickied moveset thread is more general and I have no idea where @Skyfox2000 has disappeared to. I don't think it has been updated since the game's release.

I'm also going to plug my own FAQ thread as I've been on top of it and doing my best to keep it informative. If we have a stickied FAQ, that would hopefully reduce the amount of single question threads clogging up our board. I cover important Sonic as well as general Smash terminology including more in-depth mechanical breakdowns of "how-to-Sonic".

@Phoenix_Dark also suggested that he may do a more organized Match-Up thread. If he does, I suggest we get this stickied as well.

Could we possibly get an approved Social thread, as opposed to the stickied "Sonic" thread which is also currently very general?

:093:

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sure thing. What should I do to "clean up" the thread? Make it more readable/newb friendly?
Yeah, saying clean up sounds more vicious than I intended haha I just meant it in a way that we could make it more welcoming and accessible to newcomers. It's definitely the kind of thread I know we can trust you with.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
lol, it's alright. I was already planning on working on that but you know.. laziness. :143:

I'll get to it, eventually. :4sonic:

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Do the sonic boards need cleaning up love?

Gimme a list, I'll get it done.
You, sir, are a saint.

Yo guys, let's not sleep on this offer.

First, I motion that if @ Sonic Orochi Sonic Orochi would like to take it on, that he cleans up his thread Changes From Brawl etc. and that could become the hub for all discussion relating to things about Sonic that have stayed the same or have changed about Sonic between versions. Perhaps it could even evolve to be a thorough moveset analysis/breakdown thread, as the currently stickied moveset thread is more general and I have no idea where @Skyfox2000 has disappeared to. I don't think it has been updated since the game's release.

I'm also going to plug my own FAQ thread as I've been on top of it and doing my best to keep it informative. If we have a stickied FAQ, that would hopefully reduce the amount of single question threads clogging up our board. I cover important Sonic as well as general Smash terminology including more in-depth mechanical breakdowns of "how-to-Sonic".

@Phoenix_Dark also suggested that he may do a more organized Match-Up thread. If he does, I suggest we get this stickied as well.

Could we possibly get an approved Social thread, as opposed to the stickied "Sonic" thread which is also currently very general?

I suppose this is getting off-topic; but, since the inquiry has already been answered, we can use this thread to talk about what to do with the board.

I don't know about you, Camal; but, I'd like to try for more community-oriented projects/discussions. It helps because all of us are busy/have different schedules; however, since there will be some consensus we can just pool the those thoughts and use that as a guideline. As long as it's done on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something when people have free-time/days off.

For example, Sonic's moves have stayed relatively the same but retain their versatility and have changed somewhat in the transition between games. Leaving out custom movesets here, everybody has their own ideas and uses for what move should be used, where it should be used, and how often. If Orochi wants to make his thread into a regularly-timed discussion (ex: weekly), that'd be one thing to get started. I say it'd be best to do it after we've all figured out WTH has changed with Side-B and Down-B. I myself am still trying to figure out the new second jump recall data and what causes Sonic to sometimes jump half the height on his SDJ every so often.

We'd need a matchup thread. A real one, of course. We should probably wait for a few months for the game to evolve a bit, though. No point in trying to do it now when everything is still new and subject to change. The thread we have now is good for GENERAL discussion and quick advice. Not something to be stickied; but, it isn't doing any harm for the time being.

I agree with having your thread stickied. Please, dear lord, that needs to happen before this weekend.

I wouldn't mind having a general Sonic guide like the one I (along with many other people) tried to maintain during Brawl. I myself was thinking of working on something like it after the end of the year; but, if anybody else wanted to get it by then, more power to them.

To end this post, I'm just gonna say I'm not sure what's wrong with the current stickied general discussion thread. It serves its intended function for the time being which is to relegate any non-smash or -Sonic related discussion there so the whole board or threads with relevant discussion don't get thrown off-course. I think that's fine as is.

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
I myself am still trying to figure out the new second jump recall data and what causes Sonic to sometimes jump half the height on his SDJ every so often.
I think I got all of this covered in that thread. Second jump will not work whenever you try to jump out of a SDJ that comes from a SDR which, in turn, is derived from an ASD/ASC.

Also, fastfalling any kind of SDJ will make any grounded SD/SC transition into a SDR with those same traits: you'll lose your second jump as well (yeah..).

Half-height SDJ only occurs if you SDJ as soon as you touch the ground, be it from an ASD/ASC or from the hop of the SD (or that lolchargejump from SD).

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I don't know about you, Camal; but, I'd like to try for more community-oriented projects/discussions. It helps because all of us are busy/have different schedules; however, since there will be some consensus we can just pool the those thoughts and use that as a guideline.
I agree, as I think we had a similar discussion in the current match-up thread. We suggested needing a thread that contains all the fruit of our labor, but we should be having discussions dedicated to specific characters at a time and getting contribution from other character boards. When I say that we should have specific threads, I still believe they're all a team effort, but we just need someone to be responsible and intelligent enough to properly gather all of our discussions and properly catalogue them in a main post. We can't have random newbies who want a stickied thread and then bail when the going gets tough and all of our information isn't organized or noted.
For example, Sonic's moves have stayed relatively the same but retain their versatility and have changed somewhat in the transition between games. Leaving out custom movesets here, everybody has their own ideas and uses for what move should be used, where it should be used, and how often. If Orochi wants to make his thread into a regularly-timed discussion (ex: weekly), that'd be one thing to get started.
I think at one point, custom moves should be tackled within the same thread as a moveset thread, as it is technically a part of his moveset. Again, this is on whoever wants to make that initiative.
I say it'd be best to do it after we've all figured out WTH has changed with Side-B and Down-B. I myself am still trying to figure out the new second jump recall data and what causes Sonic to sometimes jump half the height on his SDJ every so often.
I've been making a big effort with this in my FAQ, but I think it should also be explored in an in-depth moveset thread.
I agree with having your thread stickied. Please, dear lord, that needs to happen before this weekend.
Thank you. <3
I wouldn't mind having a general Sonic guide like the one I (along with many other people) tried to maintain during Brawl. I myself was thinking of working on something like it after the end of the year; but, if anybody else wanted to get it by then, more power to them.
Perhaps this could also be a team effort in accordance with a moveset thread? Might be too much information for one place, but just a thought. A guide sounds more long term, as we're still exploring the potential of this character and the meta of the overall game.
To end this post, I'm just gonna say I'm not sure what's wrong with the current stickied general discussion thread. It serves its intended function for the time being which is to relegate any non-smash or -Sonic related discussion there so the whole board or threads with relevant discussion don't get thrown off-course. I think that's fine as is.
It's not so much that I think there's anything particularly wrong with that thread, but I've just noticed that many other boards have moved past it. If that's the general thread, I suppose it's not a problem, but I thought maybe it could be made more clear. Just a minor thing for me.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Closed/locked the old sonic thread.
Someone good make a new one and tag me to sticky it.

Unstuck the skyfox thread. Stuck the two threads you mentioned Camalange.

Basically, feel free to tag me for moderator handiwork.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Closed/locked the old sonic thread.
Someone good make a new one and tag me to sticky it.
Any takers? If not I guess I could do that too. Just a general social thread or...? Espy I think made the last one, being a BBR member.
Unstuck the skyfox thread. Stuck the two threads you mentioned Camalange.

Basically, feel free to tag me for moderator handiwork.
Awesome. Thanks!

Skyfox messaged me and has asked if someone can take control of his thread. If anyone is interested, let's figure that out, or someone can just start from scratch... But I'm leaning towards perhaps Orochi incorporating that information to his thread now that it's stickied?

Last edited:

Sonic Orochi

Smash Ace
Skyfox messaged me and has asked if someone can take control of his thread. If anyone is interested, let's figure that out, or someone can just start from scratch... But I'm leaning towards perhaps Orochi incorporating that information to his thread now that it's stickied?

Yep, I'll probably expand that thread into a more in-depth guide about all of Sonic's moveset.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yep, I'll probably expand that thread into a more in-depth guide about all of Sonic's moveset.
Cool! I'm trying to double up the FAQ as a Sonic-Specific mechanic thread as well. I need to elaborate on ISDJ now that it was brought more to my attention. Also I think I'm just going to recycle all the old terminology as I think old habits will be hard to break…

proxibomb

Smash Clown
There is no edge guarding in Smash 4, silly! :troll:

All jokes aside, use aerials, specifically your bair when their invincibility getting up from the edge has ended. Sonic's bair has a high knock back, especially above 50%. Once your opponent is off stage, continue using your bair until the character is far from the stage. Reminder, this method doesn't work too well with Villager, since his recovery is OP.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Anyone ever making that social? lol I can't even understand how the rabid sonics of the past have functioned this long without one :p
It is quite surprising... I guess I'll just make one now then, haha

Top Bottom