• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I go about teaching someone Smash 4?

TingleZC

Smash Cadet
Hello.

A friend of mine recently came to me for training for getting better at Smash 4. I consider myself a pretty okay player. but I'm not really sure how to really help them out.

I've tried telling them the basic mechanics of the game. Stuff like how the ledge works, stuff like pivot grabbing and b-reversing etc.

But telling them this stuff without them really knowing how to apply it isn't helping. I don't feel like I can just tell them it and they'll magically get better. Playing alone won't make them better either if I just beat them every time...

So what actually would be an effective way to help someone improve?

puffypalutena

Smash Cadet
NNID
PuffyPalutena
3DS FC
1736-0501-7736
Hehe, I have this problem too, I tried teaching a friend about the game, and now he "mains" sonic and spams specials......
You gotta give them time. For myself, I watched tons of videos and forced myself to kick bad and punishable methods. Now, I consider myself an average player. You can give your friend some reference videos with pros in it, they probably can explain the mechanics better than any of us XD. Have your friend practice with you and point out things as you go along, point out what he does wrong and what he should do instead. Other than that, I think the rest is up to your friend's commitment. :p

TingleZC

Smash Cadet
We've got plenty of threads about such a topic that you can mine for good stuff. Here is one that still fairly new that has some good info. http://smashboards.com/threads/need...how-to-git-gud-at-smash.403722/#post-19321954
Yeah, that had some good info in it.

The main problem I have is teaching someone fundamentals. Telling someone what to do won't mean anything if when the time comes for a match they don't know how to apply it.

I don't really know what examples I could give to them so they know how to apply things better. At first I was just telling them how to do things and expecting it to take off, but I see now that was a mistake.

Playing them and just repeatedly beating them doesn't seem like the best option either.

puffypalutena

Smash Cadet
NNID
PuffyPalutena
3DS FC
1736-0501-7736
At first I was just telling them how to do things and expecting it to take off, but I see now that was a mistake.

Playing them and just repeatedly beating them doesn't seem like the best option either.
I see you. I tried to teach my friend to grab and throw, all he focuses is grab and throw. I teach him to use smash, all he uses is smash. I feel like I can never save my friend.... Even in practice, he persists his special spamming.

TheKingWalnut

Smash Apprentice
I just beat up my friends in Smash and then tell them what they should've done and they just pick up the mechanics on their own.
It's really just trial and error.

Omonito

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3738-0047-0553
I just beat up my friends in Smash and then tell them what they should've done and they just pick up the mechanics on their own.
It's really just trial and error.
This. Mainly, just mirror battle whoever they want to learn, and just keep destroying them and pointing out tactics you used/ things that they can do to avoid them.
Like with most things, they'll also need to do some studying and read up on guides, watch professionals play, and just keep trying what they've seen in training until they can consistently do it.
On top of that, you won't get any better unless you REALLY want to. Anyone can be the best at literally anything if they have the motivation to just grind and grind and grind.

Top Bottom