• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How do I get better?

Synchronize

Smash Cadet
There are a lot of ways to get better at Sm4sh but you need to identify your problems first. What are you having trouble in during your games? Landing hits? Positioning? When is it safe to use certain attacks? Matchups?

Archimedes

The Rad Simisear
Switch FC
7772-6031-3529
Sorry for the vague answer but you did ask a vague question. Just literally keep playing people better then you with the mindset of "what could I be doing differently?"

KirbCider

Smash Ace
There are various ways to get better. I know this may be a bit TL;DR but please read through all of it regardless.

1. Practicing can do wonders
Sometimes this can be easier said than done; however this is the most important thing in becoming better. You can read guides, look at Youtube Videos, etc all day long but unless you put physical effort into getting better you won't get much out of them. You have to practice the skills and combos that you read/see after all. If you don't do that, then how do you expect to perfect and use them?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Go against actual Opponents instead of CPUs
This is also a biggie. While sometimes practicing with CPUs or in Training mode can be beneficial in some ways you want to go against actual people as well. CPUs may have better reaction times (at least the higher level ones) they can often be dumb and can fall for the same patterns. With an actual opponent they know combos, match-ups, techs, DI, and most importantly know to adapt to you.

In other words, human players can push you much harder than any CPU can. Go against actual players as much as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Read up on Guides, or look at Youtube Videos
As I mentioned before you have to be willing to put in the effort as well, but reading or looking as videos can also help a bit. Learn what your characters can do. Kill options, combos, set-ups, and so forth. Learn their strengths and weaknesses. Heck, even try to find guides or videos on characters that you struggle with as well. Try to learn their strengths and weaknesses, and use that to your advantage.

Also, try to find any videos on certain skills or techs that you can use. Learn how to DI properly because it can not only save your life but also help you get out of some combos way easier. There's a lot of videos explaining certain techs and DI's, so look out for those.

4. Never be afraid to ask for advice
You can do all the above but you also need to be aware of what you're doing wrong, and what you can do better.

There's a Replay function in Smash U that allows you to upload videos to Youtube. Don't be afraid to use it. Upload a couple videos of your gameplay and ask people here on the Forums what you're doing wrong and what you could do to change that. A lot of members here are super friendly and will be more than happy to give you advice. There's tons of character Threads for that as well.

5. Seriously... PRACTICE
Seriously, just practice everyday or whenever you can. You'll get better through time even if you don't see you are. Be aware that everybody starts somewhere. Everyone starts off as a "Noob" as some people will say, even the best players did. Have faith in yourself.

Don't get down on yourself if you can't win a few matches, or think you aren't improving. Trust me. You will get better.

Hopefully this will help.

Last edited:

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
What KirbCider said + watch top players play, especially if they play your character(s).

flamer180

Banned via Administration
Okay, I've found out where I suck. I tend to get hit a lot, and can never get in. Also, I mess up recovering, a lot. Thanks for the answers so far. :D
Sounds like you have slow reaction time.

Try to increase your reaction time to hits, and avoid them.

Vexxan

Smash Rookie
NNID
VexxanVahydro
3DS FC
0130-2994-6492
Okay, I've found out where I suck. I tend to get hit a lot, and can never get in. Also, I mess up recovering, a lot. Thanks for the answers so far. :D
Learning how to read your opponent can help you act before they do, though it is easier said then done. If you say your getting hit a lot try fox-trotting. with each dash, bring your shield up. If you practise this in training and keep doing it evenually it will become habitual... I was aquite literally a no-defence nelly. I would concentrate too much on attacking. Point is, get your shield up everytime you can but mix it up with some spot dodges too. I hope this helps.

Betatech

Smash Apprentice
You seem to have the same problems as me. All i can say is go play against people. Its the only way to improve reaction times as well as all other skills.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
Also, which character do you main?

There's a good chance there's a guide on them.

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
rewatch your gameplay videos. Every time you get hit ask yourself, what could I have done differently? Ask yourself during every neutral interaction if what you did was optimal. Also show your vids to better players and get their opinions. Also learn every piece of tech for your character and practice it until you've got it down.

Scrubgod_0-2

Smash Rookie
NNID
xXSnopDoggyXx
To improve reaction times, there are places to test it, if that is what you are having trouble dealing with. I actually test and improve reaction time by playing shooters. Might not be best for everyone, but it helped me at least.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
If you wanna get better *in general*, try to have a training routine. Do this every single day of the month for a few months and you are bound to get at least a little bit better.
A good way to train perfect shielding is to go to training mode, set your opponent to a Level 9 Samus, set her behaviour to "Attack", then keep your distance as much as you can. All she'll ever do is spam projectiles your way, and you can use that to train perfect shielding for projectiles. Since she has three different projectiles of different properties and speeds to fire at you, it will server as good training. Maybe you could start by doing 50 perfect shields in a row twice every day? Then after a week, 100 perfect shields in a row twice every day?
After that, you could maybe train movement techniques, since obviously how you move around the stage affects how much you get hit. You could train Extended Dash Dancing and Perfect Pivot to avoid moves and even bait your opponent around. If you're interested, I can show you videos that teach how to do basically everything I said here.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
If you wanna practice defensive play, you can go to training mode to Luigi at level 9 and set to attack. Practice spot dodging, perfect shielding, and your counter play.

Edgeguarding can also be practiced with :4fox::4wiremac::4falcon:, who all have gimpable recoveries. The key is to hang by the ledge and intercept recovery options. After about an hour, start working your way to different characters with harder to gimp recoveries until you can sucessfully edgeguard all characters.

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
If you wanna practice defensive play, you can go to training mode to Luigi at level 9 and set to attack. Practice spot dodging, perfect shielding, and your counter play by punishing hispoor traction.

Edgeguarding can also be practiced with :4fox::4wiremac::4falcon:, who all have gimpable recoveries. The key is to hang by the ledge and intercept recovery options. After about an hour, start working your way to different characters with harder to gimp recoveries until you can sucessfully edgeguard all characters.

Top Bottom