• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do the "Advanced Techniques", otherwise known as glitches?

Gavyn

Smash Rookie
Like wavedashing! And the others... I played Melee as a kid and didn't really play to COMPETE compete. I was competitive with friends, but still only played to have fun, so I didn't really know about that stuff.

Gavyn

Smash Rookie
Ok, I'll give you that XD but I mean, HOW do I do them. I actually DONT KNOW HOW TO DO THEM lol if I knew, I'd be practicing for weeks on end cx

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Depends on the tech, like there are so many different ones. In general, L-cancelling is clicking the trigger right before hitting the ground. Practice with Link's down aerial, since it's most noticeable. Wavedashing is air dodging diagonally towards the ground in the direction you want to go in after a jump. Here's a good overview:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vckV2MJgBzo

And I wasn't trying to be snarky, most people ask how do I use this in a match consistently.

Last edited:

necroTaxonomist

Smash Apprentice
Gltiches, some, yeah, I guess, but glitches that make the game more fun.

I'd recommend checking out the Wiki. Good articles there.

Last edited:

Gavyn

Smash Rookie
Depends on the tech, like there are so many different ones. In general, L-cancelling is clicking the trigger right before hitting the ground. Practice with Link's down aerial, since it's most noticeable. Wavedashing is air dodging diagonally towards the ground in the direction you want to go in after a jump. Here's a good overview:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vckV2MJgBzo

And I wasn't trying to be snarky, most people ask how do I use this in a match consistently.
I didn't think you were trying to be snarky, I was trying to clarify while I was slightly frustrated at an answer that would otherwise be extremely obvious lol

Edit: thanks :D

Last edited:

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Check the beginner guides in here: www.tinyurl.com/meleelibrary

SmashWiki can be good for finding out about techniques, but just be wary that inaccurate, misleading, or incomplete information is pretty common. Unless the article cites a reliable source (such as Magus or Kadano), or has the applicable frame data explicitly laid out, then there are no guarantees. Don't ever use the Wikia, since that's basically just a worse version of SmashWiki.

Do you have a local scene, or anyone you can train with who can help you get an idea of how and what to practice?

Gltiches, some, yeah, I guess, but glitches that make the game more fun.

I'd recommend checking out the Wiki. Good articles there.
I really annoys me how that .gif has been the go-to image for demonstrating wavedashing for as long as it has (and is still often used), and yet the wavedashes aren't even executed properly. This one is better:

http://www.ssbwiki.com/images/c/c6/Wavedashbig.gif

Last edited:

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Truth be told, you can't see the air dodge into the ground so it just looks like the characters slide. It obviously is a terrible, shame of a wavedash, but at least you can see the mechanics behind it.

Stride

Smash Ace
North-west England (near Manchester/Liverpool)
Truth be told, you can't see the air dodge into the ground so it just looks like the characters slide. It obviously is a terrible, shame of a wavedash, but at least you can see the mechanics behind it.
You have a good point. If you want to see a quick visual demonstration of the constituent parts of the wavedash, then something like this clip from The Smash Bros. is good (and better than the first .gif). The first part of M2K's wavedash tutorial also does that pretty well, with some extra explanation.

I would prefer a written explanation if I wanted to learn how wavedashing worked, with a clip of a perfect wavedash so I could see if I was doing it correctly; something like this:
Mechanics
• you can airdodge in any direction by hard pressing the L or R button while in the air (you choose the direction of the airdodge by holding a direction on the control stick).
• if you airdodge into the ground, then you will immediately land and transfer the velocity from that airdodge into a slide along the ground.
• by airdodging immediately as you leave the ground from a jump, you can enter the slide without ever actually leaving the ground.
• you can control the length/speed of your wavedash by changing the angle at which you airdodge (shallow angles are longer/faster, steeper angles are shorter/slower).

Relevant informaton
• different characters have different wavedash lengths depending on their traction and maximum walk speed.
• the timing for executing a wavedash differs between character depending on the length of their jumpsquat (which is the startup of their jump before they leave the ground).
• There are 10 frames of lag before you can act when landing from an airdodge.
• The angles on the control stick within approximately 17.1 degrees of the cardinal directions are all interpreted as the nearest cardinal direction by the game (see this diagram); therefore, the very longest and very shortest wavedash angles are not available.
• wavelanding is the same mechanic as wavedashing, except you airdodge into the ground while already in the air instead of immediately as you leave the ground from a jump.

Last edited:
Top Bottom