• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do that Westballz style shield pressure?

comics

Smash Cadet
Can someone give me the imputs/tips?

The kind that you shine jump shine then wavedash down.

I can do regular multishining and shine out of shield.

Help me? Thanks!

Last edited:

MorphGuy1000

Smash Cadet
What I see Westballz do is double shine, then after you shine the second time wavedash down if you're behind their shield or do a short wavedash behind them if you're in front of it (this eliminates the potential for you to get shieldgrabbed). If they're still in shield, shine again and either keep double shining + wavedashing down, or just mix in a reverse shine grab and throw them for positional advantage/a kill depending on the opponent's weight class, DI, and percentage.

Nonetheless, this type of shield pressure shouldn't be attempted until you have all the basic Falco fundamentals down. I know it looks cool, but you can usually just shinegrab and get something out of it (I'm pretty sure you can buffer roll out during the WD down/behind).

comics

Smash Cadet
What I see Westballz do is double shine, then after you shine the second time wavedash down if you're behind their shield or do a short wavedash behind them if you're in front of it (this eliminates the potential for you to get shieldgrabbed). If they're still in shield, shine again and either keep double shining + wavedashing down, or just mix in a reverse shine grab and throw them for positional advantage/a kill depending on the opponent's weight class, DI, and percentage.

Nonetheless, this type of shield pressure shouldn't be attempted until you have all the basic Falco fundamentals down. I know it looks cool, but you can usually just shinegrab and get something out of it (I'm pretty sure you can buffer roll out during the WD down/behind).
But it looks like he doesn't do a regular doubleshine on shield. He goes in the air for the second shine... But I can't seem to figure the timing out?

Like this: http://gfycat.com/WideAridEyra

I've got all of Falco's necessary techskill down and trying to learn extra for fun.

I know it gets beat by waiting for the wavedash and punishing and by rolling, but wanted to learn how I can master it nonetheless.

Your reply was much appreciated though! It was a good one.

MrYaah

Smash Rookie
hes doing the second shine a little late so he leaves the ground and then doing a jump instant airdodge down. probably saves himself 4 or 5 frames by skipping the second jumpsquat animation but its completely different timing from a regular wavedash down. I've seen mango do the same thing when he does double shine pressure.

comics

Smash Cadet
hes doing the second shine a little late so he leaves the ground and then doing a jump instant airdodge down. probably saves himself 4 or 5 frames by skipping the second jumpsquat animation but its completely different timing from a regular wavedash down. I've seen mango do the same thing when he does double shine pressure.
Hmm, very interesting!

Mind simplifying what you just said a bit and breaking it down?
Trying to figure out how it is different than a regular wavedash down. And yeah, I've seen Mango do it before too.

So it is another jump in the air then airdodge down?
Is it just a longer period of time before you press the sholder buttons to airdodge downward after the jump?

This is the most enlightening info on how to do this yet. I'll see if I will be able to do it today.

THANK YOU!!!

MorphGuy1000

Smash Cadet
Hmm, very interesting!

Mind simplifying what you just said a bit and breaking it down?
Trying to figure out how it is different than a regular wavedash down. And yeah, I've seen Mango do it before too.

So it is another jump in the air then airdodge down?
Is it just a longer period of time before you press the sholder buttons to airdodge downward after the jump?

This is the most enlightening info on how to do this yet. I'll see if I will be able to do it today.

THANK YOU!!!
basically he shines, jumps, shines again in the air (NOT on the ground: this is where it differs from a regular doubleshine), and then JCs it immediately using his DOUBLE JUMP and air dodges down to get the waveland.

the trick is to not ground the second shine. this method, however, means you can't WD behind your opponent to prevent the potential shield grab if u mess up somewhere in your shield pressure timing. however, it saves you from the 5 frames of jumpsquat that Falco has when he does a regular doubleshine, allowing you to potentially get hitboxes out faster than the initial method i told you about

Last edited:
Top Bottom