• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do i deal with the boomerang catch animation?

mustardpi314

Smash Rookie
it always screws up my inputs when it happens.
i know this much:
-if it doesn't come back to me, i don't have to catch it, but i don't get it back for a while after
-if i start some other action before the boomerang comes back to me, the catch doesn't happen

is there any consistent way to deal with the animation? should i intentionally avoid catching it, always do something else before it catches, or just deal with it?

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
You've either got to deal with it or avoid the boomerang.

B.W.

Smash Champion
Some quick grounded options that can keep you safer are:
Wavedash into your rang - Can be kind of hard to do though since if you mess up slightly you'll do the catch animation.
Shield - Easier, you can jump/wavedash out of it.
Bomb pull - Not entirely safe, but you get a bomb out of it without catching the rang.

Quick aerial options:
SHFFL N-air: This is what I normally do since n-air is a damn good move and can stop approaches, and I believe returning boomerang has infinite priority which means you have two attacks out at once that can stop opponents in their tracks.
Air-dodge: Do it downward so you hit the ground faster.
Waveland: Cause it's also part of the airdodge.
Short-Hop Hookshot: Useful for keeping a distance and the recovery time is pretty nice making this useful to avoid the catch animation when playing the lame game.

Top Bottom