• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I deal with super aggro foxes?

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
I play against this SUPER aggro fox in my friend group. I simply have not won a single match against his fox, but I can take out people higher ranked than him for some reason. I think this is because of his insane drillshine pressure, and how whenever a single, small opportunity comes about, I get totally *****. He approaches every single time, and very consistently at that. I can read him, but for some reason he's just too damn fast. I'm not used to this kind of playstyle at all, and I'm having a really hard time adapting. Please give me some tips. Also, I have no idea what to do OOS when he's shield pressuring me with drillshine and waveshines.

Here are some vids of his fox to give you an idea of what I'm talking about (it's PM but it's basically the same way he plays) (Also, sorry for my crappy pre-pubescent commentary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBvFZJJhCyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3utl6aE_7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uyioTvYbBQ

Last edited:

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
What the Ganon's doing in the first match of the first clip is one of the first things that came to mind. Try to hit him as he comes in with a longer ranged but quick move like ftilt. Try to use other moves like autocancel bair (preferably retreating). If you're not confident you can shield grab any of his attacks, wavedash out of shield in the direction that gets you furthest from his hitboxes and try to reset neutral or just hit him. If he's continually jumping at you, rather than run at him, try to bait the approach and dashdance, block, or hit him with something quick that you don't normally do out of a run. While this bit is a bit more useful against other characters, when he jumps at you with an attack, you can try to roll through it (better when it means gaining center stage). Also, if he's doing lots of short hops, areas where you can bair his approach you can likely dair it as well. If he's not especially fond of crouch-cancel, nair is your friend as well.

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
This kind of aggression isn't even good/smart aggression, don't be intimidated by it, he plays very predictable from what I have seen because it looks like he is approaching from the same angle and timing. Don't be intimidated by that and follow @1000g's advice of learning to bait and start predicting them( fox dair on shield is like -5 frame advantage lol, that is a free shield grab and learn to angle your shield so you can mess his L-cancels up and learn to shield di to get grabs you would not without it) , and if your punish game is super good then you can make him hesitant about approaching hard like that. Then you can control the pacing of the match (pretty much play how you want) and slow it down and make it very uncomfortable for him.

BTW , How long have you played this game for?

Last edited:

BauxFalcon

Smash Apprentice
This kind of aggression isn't even good/smart aggression, don't be intimidated by it, he plays very predictable from what I have seen because it looks like he is approaching from the same angle and timing. Don't be intimidated by that and follow @1000g's advice of learning to bait and start predicting them( fox dair on shield is like -5 frame advantage lol, that is a free shield grab and learn to angle your shield so you can mess his L-cancels up and learn to shield di to get grabs you would not without it) , and if your punish game is super good then you can make him hesitant about approaching hard like that. Then you can control the pacing of the match (pretty much play how you want) and slow it down and make it very uncomfortable for him.

BTW , How long have you played this game for?
I picked up fairly competitively and got top 5 in my county since 6 months ago. But I was trying to play Brawl competitively, but it wasn't fast, so I turned to Melee 6 months ago.
My tech skill is pretty great, so my combos are insane, but I barely know how to do much else in neutral, my platform movement is so smooth, but I can't use it anywhere besides between stocks for style. I don't know how to use the platforms in neutral, though I am cooking up a theory. I'm alright at reading, I've been working on it.

Last edited:

Dandy_here

Smash Journeyman
I play against this SUPER aggro fox in my friend group. I simply have not won a single match against his fox, but I can take out people higher ranked than him for some reason. I think this is because of his insane drillshine pressure, and how whenever a single, small opportunity comes about, I get totally *****. He approaches every single time, and very consistently at that. I can read him, but for some reason he's just too damn fast. I'm not used to this kind of playstyle at all, and I'm having a really hard time adapting. Please give me some tips. Also, I have no idea what to do OOS when he's shield pressuring me with drillshine and waveshines.

Here are some vids of his fox to give you an idea of what I'm talking about (it's PM but it's basically the same way he plays) (Also, sorry for my crappy pre-pubescent commentary):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBvFZJJhCyM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3utl6aE_7U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uyioTvYbBQ
Just bait em and get REALLY HARD reads. He approaches a lot by waveshining or nair so expect that. Although it is wise to not shield. DO NOT SHIELD. Unless you are sure he doesn't have good shield pressure, but he's playing fox so, don't use shield a lot. Also remember that baiting is your best friend. SUPER AGGRO IS A BAD THING WHEN PLAYING AGAINST FALCON. Just dash back and grab after he nairs. Then proceed to slaughter him. Just combo him to death if you get a grab. In neutral make sure you space well and keep momentum. He will most likely throw out a move blindly.

kyaputenfarukon07

Smash Journeyman
I picked up fairly competitively and got top 5 in my county since 6 months ago. But I was trying to play Brawl competitively, but it wasn't fast, so I turned to Melee 6 months ago.
My tech skill is pretty great, so my combos are insane, but I barely know how to do much else in neutral, my platform movement is so smooth, but I can't use it anywhere besides between stocks for style. I don't know how to use the platforms in neutral, though I am cooking up a theory. I'm alright at reading, I've been working on it.
Once you start getting good at tech while observing your opponent you can learn the neutral and then use your combos to punish anything. You have to make the neutral very difficult for anyone to deal with thats when usually people get scared of approaching like the guy you were facing. You have to look at how someone responds to what you do, then learn what options you have to shutdowns theirs.

http://myneverendingbrainstorm.blogspot.ca/2014/07/goals-in-ssbm-intro-to-player-vs-player.html

credit to KirbyKaze

this will explain the full context of the of the last 2 sentences

Last edited:
Top Bottom