• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I deal with spammers on For Glory?

GeN17

Smash Rookie
NNID
MageWolf
Okay, so here is my situation. I am not pro at the game in any sense of the word, but I still consider myself a pretty formidable opponent. I can read my opponents fairly well. I play For Glory quite a lot, but my record is not the best. Your record is practically a randomly generated number. But my issue is dealing with spammers on For Glory. Spammers like Link throwing out tons of arrows and Gale Boomerangs, Ness dishing out PK Fires like pamphlets for Jehova's Witness, and King Dedede tossing tons of Gordo's. My issue is when I go in to punish said spammers, mostly Link, he just rolls back, forward smashes or grabs depending on the situation, and just dishes out more and more arrows and boomerangs. My issue with Ness is that he can use his PK Fire to deal some significant damage and to combo me. So how should I deal with people like this, and how can I punish these people?

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I'm assuming by your avatar and your mains below your avatar that you're a Roy main and a Marth secondary? That's actually pretty good, since I'm a Marth secondary myself. Yay for personalized advice!

When I encounter really projectile-heavy opponents online, I go all out offensive on them. Most spammers cannot deal with offensive pressure of any kind. I'd say your best bet is to use low-lag and high-range aerials like short hop forward or neutral to dodge their projectiles and pressure the opponent, and when they're panicking, try reading their actions. If they're going to roll back when you're near them, hit them with a dash attack or a slide smash. If they're going to roll behind you, use a down smash. If they're going to forward smash, wait it out in a shield and then grab them. If they're going to grab, spot dodge and either hit them or grab them back. Spammers tend to rely on their powerful moves close-range, and their fast projectiles when afar. Take advantage of this by using moves like forward tilt, jab, or down tilt to flinch them out of their smashes.

When you're up against these people, don't be afraid to take risks to learn their habits. Just like their main style of play, they're quite samey. Try cornering them into an unfavorable situation, and then see how they react. A good rule of thumb against these kinds of players is that if they react one way, they will likely do that action again when in the same predicament. (Of course, this is just for spammers. Against other players, be prepared for mixups.) When they see that you countered their strategy, they will either attempt it over and over again in hopes that it will work eventually, lose any kind of rhyme or reason to their playing, or try a new strategy.

If you'd like, you can add my NNID and practice with me, send me replays, etc. and I'll be happy to give you further assistance!

GeN17

Smash Rookie
NNID
MageWolf
Alright, thanks for the advice my man! I will add your NNID tomorrow as soon as I can. When against people that play Ness who spam their PK Fire move, should I try and stay back and nair a few times to distance them, then maybe mix it up with a forward smash or down smash at the end?

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
@ Dokokashira Dokokashira summarized it fairly well. There's only a few things that I'd like to add.

First, try to remain calm when you fight these kind of players. Many people immediately freak out because their character doesn't have the tools to fight from a distance, so they try to rush in and end up taking much more damage than needed to get close to their opponent. Remaining patient and approaching slowly is almost always much better in the long run. The same is true for your opponent, if they get flustered while trying to zone you out, they'll begin making many mistakes and become much easier to fight.

Second, don't always be afraid to get hit by projectiles. This kind of goes hand in hand with the first point, but I feel it needs to be said anyways. Sometimes it is okay to let yourself get hit by a projectile if it means that you can put yourself in a more advantageous situation than your opponent. Trading damage for better positioning is often extremely useful when facing these kinds of players. Obviously there are some projectiles that you always want to avoid, such as ones that are extremely powerful(such as full power Charge Shots and Aura Spheres) or projectiles that lead into more devastating combos (such as Toon Link's bombs and Green Fireballs), but outside of that there are times when it is okay to let yourself take a little bit of damage.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
Aganist people like this, remember movement can be it's own attack by itself. Invade a zoner's space and they will now have to consider what to do about you entering their close range zone. If you run in and shield a link bow and boomerang combo, will he try to fsmash right away on your approach? Will he roll right away? If you jump over a Ness using Pk Fire over and over on the ground, will he run forward and try to grab? Will he be smart and try to attack your jump attempt?

All in all these matches are all about invading their space and then picking apart their reactions to YOU. If they are trying to make you play their game, that's when to make it so that they play yours. As the above poster said, be patient and don't be afraid to take some hits. A 4% boomerang is more then fine as long as it helps you get in to do something that does 14% to them. In addition to that, don't be afraid to give up space once you've gotten it. It's just as much a fight of zoning for them as it is for you. If you can keep getting in, don't be afraid to give it up if means you can evade something then come in and punish.

Hope this helps but keep at it. You'll get it.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Play a different opponent.

I'm honestly not being snarky, sometimes it's best to just drop out and try elsewhere if your opponent is just relentlessly spamming you. You don't have to deal with that, especially if it's frustrating rather than beneficial.

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
Play a different opponent.

I'm honestly not being snarky, sometimes it's best to just drop out and try elsewhere if your opponent is just relentlessly spamming you. You don't have to deal with that, especially if it's frustrating rather than beneficial.
That's exactly what I do when I'm playing someone who rolls across the stage.

@GeN17 Kitten is right, It's neat and all to learn how to deal with a spammer. but if they frustrate you to the point you don't have fun, just leave, you are playing a game to have fun, not to stress you out.

Last edited:

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
While I don't wanna be that guy who says "pick up a different character," I can't help but notice that you use Roy and Marth, who are both really easy to zone out, so that might be part of the problem. Of course, you can always work on powershielding, but on Glory, good luck. There's so much lag in every match, it's nigh impossible to do consistently.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
I don't know what compels these people to do nothing but roll. Do they even have fun playing this game?

GeN17

Smash Rookie
NNID
MageWolf
I don't know what compels these people to do nothing but roll. Do they even have fun playing this game?
Exactly, like how can you have fun with a game when you either stay at the edge and press a button a lot of times, or constantly roll across the stage like you are playing Super Monkey Ball or something. It just doesn't make sense. But, thanks for all the advice, it really helps.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I know that feeling. I fought a Toon Link who just toss out a boomerang, roll and repeat. I barely even touched him and he ended up two stocking my ass. Fighting against projectile spammers is a huge waste of my time.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
While I don't wanna be that guy who says "pick up a different character," I can't help but notice that you use Roy and Marth, who are both really easy to zone out, so that might be part of the problem. Of course, you can always work on powershielding, but on Glory, good luck. There's so much lag in every match, it's nigh impossible to do consistently.
Marth and Roy can be easy to zone out but they have just the right tools to help them to not be so that they aren't eating projectiles most of their stock. They both have really good dash and running speed, their sword hitboxes can clash and eat some projectiles (not an absurd amount, but when it can it helps) and when they make it in they have more space to play with their longer ranged pokes which some zoners don't have.

That said, they might not be the easiest to LEARN how to deal with zoners at first but if you can do it with them you should be more then able to do with anyone in the cast.

As for rollers on For Glory...it's just because the majority of people of there don't know how to properly deal with it so it lets them get easy wins...as being a jerk is everything to some people, Combine that with the constant need for taunting and you got the often described "salt mine" known as For Glory.

Top Bottom