• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I deal with projectiles?

Murrayy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Murray97
I've played against a few players recently that play very campy projectile based games. Such as running away with Samus and just spamming projectiles and others doing the same with Mario and Link for example.

I was wondering what is the best way of dealing with this as ZSS? I end up getting really frustrated and start playing badly which usually ends up in my messing up a lot and losing.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
ZSS is very mobile, fortunately. Just take them to any stage that has lots of room and platforms to run around on. You can out-maneuver projectile spam on a stage like Dreamland, for instance.

But, like Darkshooter said, you can crawl under Falco's lasers and even Link's boomerangs. Another useful method you could use is using the down-b kick. Down-B to jump over a projectile at mid-range then punish with the kick.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
powershield. This is one of the best things you can do against a projectile spammer. When you powershield, you have the chance to reflect a projectile, you present to your opponent that projectiles won't phase you (even if they are a pain. This is more of a mental battle thing), Your shield isn't whittled down as much, you can approach slowly with this, etc.. But with powershielding, you have to be good with spacing since some characters can quickly act out of a projectile.

Phuriate

Smash Rookie
ZSS's general mobility is amazing and IMO it makes power shielding much easier, run straight at a projectile and shield, you'll be sending it back and you have a chance to follow up. I'd also recommend crawling, it goes under a whole bunch and her down tilt out of it is pretty good too! The Mario MU though is pretty ridiculous, with his fireballs being so safe and the fact that your approach options are limited (cape) you really have to outplay in the neutral game to get anything started.

jeck95

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3840-5508-5042
For the mario mu, always have a platform to work with (fd is annoying to fight mario). Platforms give you an easier time to get over short hop fireballs, run around, etc. If they full hop fireball, at the right distance (about 1.5 whip distance) you can run right under them (she is that fast).
As for other match ups involving projectiles:
Link, either jump over or crawl under boomerangs
Samus, powershield or jump over missiles (only theory because lack of matchup experience)
Zelda, stay outside lightning kick range but close enough to punish her neutral-b (whip is nice in this matchup)
Falco, powershield or crawl against lasers
Diddy, wavedash the bananas and stun gun beats peanuts clean
If the opponent is playing defensive, either out defend them or use zss' speed to close the distance. Wait for your opening and punish them hard.

Last edited:

?.?

Smash Journeyman
Wait can she crawl under falco lasers that were meant to be at ground level?

Ouroboro

Smash Cadet
I also have an insanely hard time with Projectiles. They tend to outright ruin my game plan and spacing. Link is perhaps my worst match-up. If I crawl under his boomerang the lag is so little I end up Naired or something else. If I powershield it back, well like, I dunno, nothing. Boomerang is stupid. I'm not sure, but powershielding a Rang only seems to return it to Link faster and then he just throws another one. I've been trying to up my Powershield/WD out of shield game just to deal with this matchup, which is decently helpful but trying to get through a wall on a character designed to have an amazing wall, is no easy process.

Top Bottom