• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I deal with player-targeting?

ExigeOlimin

Smash Cadet
Ok, so I was playing with friends earlier and they ganged up on me to take me out first. My friends use Robin and Shulk, and I was having a hard time reading what they were doing. I'll be fighting them again soon, and I wanted some advice as to what I should do to deal with both of them. (I refuse to use my secondaries)

Last edited:

EarthBoundEnigma

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EarthBoundEnigma
Above all, nairs are your best "keep off" move. If you're being ganged up on, though, it often means your partner isn't doing their part to focus on one of them, leaving you to deal with just a 1-on-1. If your partner is facing 2 players simultaneously, you need to run in and grab them if they shield or use moves that disrupt and mix up the flow of battle. Practice coordinating so you're never too far to help each other. The pair with the best teamwork usually wins.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Is this a team battle or free-for-all? If it's a team battle, your team mate should be helping you out. In fact, if this is a team battle, your Robin and Shulk friends leave themselves open for free damage from your partner because they're too busy attacking you, which all you would really have to do is run away and only attacking when you actually need to. If it's a free-for-all match, then you're obviously a threat to them. The thing about this is that they're too busy paying attention to what you're doing and not what each other are doing, so you can try to have them unintentionally hurt one another. I don't really know of any ways around people ganging up on you, but you will eventually figure it out, and when you do, then you'll have become an even bigger threat.

ExigeOlimin

Smash Cadet
If it's a free-for-all match, then you're obviously a threat to them. The thing about this is that they're too busy paying attention to what you're doing and not what each other are doing, so you can try to have them unintentionally hurt one another.
So, I should try to roll out and hopefully they hit each other? They DO try baiting me with Thoron a lot, so if i land close enough to Robin and shield fast enough so Robin gets hit by Back-Slash?
Above all, nairs are your best "keep off" move. If you're being ganged up on, though, it often means your partner isn't doing their part to focus on one of them, leaving you to deal with just a 1-on-1. If your partner is facing 2 players simultaneously, you need to run in and grab them if they shield or use moves that disrupt and mix up the flow of battle. Practice coordinating so you're never too far to help each other. The pair with the best teamwork usually wins.
I'd have to work on that with my cousin a bit more. He seems to like to roll to the other side and try to throw others off the edge and spike them. He baits them by continuously taunting, which doesn't help when I'm getting destroyed on the other side of the map
Thanks for the tips guys, I'll work on these things and take them down.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I would advise you don't roll. You're most likely to get hit by Thoron since it's such a long projectile. Shulk's down smash is also pretty big. You don't have someone who can team up with you, because that's pretty messed up that they would do that.

Top Bottom