• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I deal with obnoxious amounts of spacing?

PaguPeesh

Smash Rookie
NNID
fanofoddness
3DS FC
1032-2521-5538
Hello!

I have a question for anybody who knows what they're doing.

My play style is extremely aggressive and I'm pretty relentless with pressure. But when the control of the game goes to my opponent, with his/her immaculate spacing, I get owned.

So basically if those people don't get hit by my dash attack/grab punishing, I'm useless.

My whole strategy falls apart when people space really well. Like the Ness who two stocked me on "For Glory" by just spacing and dash attacking, with the occasional PK Fire.

Please help me. I'm generally very good at this game, as I can overwhelm people with my amounts of pressure, but spacing is all but crippling to me.

Even when I'm Fox, I can't seem to catch them.

All help would be appreciated. :yeahboi:

PS: (This is all from play with Dr. Mario, Fox, and Captain Falcon)

Niala

Smash Ace
To me, it sounds like your aggression is just baseless if you're getting outwitted so heavily by good defense and spacing. I'd recommend trying to appropriately space your own aggression, and probably use your shield more if you're getting caught out by other hitboxes. That being said, if you could take a video of you losing a game it would be more helpful than just trying to describe it as "very aggressive."

On that note: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-smash-3ds-help-and-advice-thread.371984/ Here's a thread intended for questions. You can also visit the character specific boards and read up on your character or ask questions there as they probably have a better understanding of the characters you play than I do.

:4fox:http://smashboards.com/forums/fox.397/
:4falcon:http://smashboards.com/forums/captain-falcon.491/
:4drmario:http://smashboards.com/forums/dr-mario.502/

best of luck~

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
Counter back with your own spacing. You can't just expect to use the same strategy for every single player you face. If you like to play aggressively, then just do aggressive spacing. Get in their face and wait for them to make a mistake then punish, you don't always have to throw out an attack whenever you approach them.

yoyowoodchuckguy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0018-1538-9247
Simply put, you have to space them back. A rushdown style is not generally very effective, though you can be agressive. Rather, look for their patterns and mental weaknesses, and when they make a mistake, THEN attack them. HARD. I've found that Sm4sh has a mostly passive neutral game; one must not overly commit to being defensive or offensive.

tru.

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
Basically, you need to fight fire with fire.:4bowser::4charizard:
Opponent's defenses are too good? Go defensive. They're constantly attacking you? Space yourself and strike. Nothing's worse than constantly being pummeled by the same mistake over and over again until you get two-stocked. You need to mimic your opponents, and "fake-out". If you play defensive and suddenly throw in some aggressive attacks and punishments, you're opponent will likely be surprised. Mix up what you do in battle. One tactic, and very important one, is to not make sense when you fight. You don't want your foe to predict you, so throw in a few curve balls and catch them by surprise.

One other important thing, as you know, is mastering spacing. Spacing is everything. Keep yourself a safe distance from your opponent and dodge their first few attacks to see what their strategy is. Set up your attacks wisely and carefully, and always have a backup plan if you're in trouble.

Lastly, don't focus on just aggression, just being defensive, or just spacing yourself. Use a range of methods, so it can help you in almost any situation. Watch for your opponent's weaknesses, and take advantage of them to secure a win.

TheHunterLive

Smash Rookie
NNID
chittycat
3DS FC
1418-6708-2690
Tbh if you play a fox, try baiting them with the laser gun make them come out of their comfort zone

Top Bottom