• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I deal with DD camping falcons?

Endllol

Smash Rookie
I've come into an issue of being out camped. I can't approach because CF is too fast, I don't feel that I can camp because my hitboxes come out so much slower than every single one of his moves. It's really frustrating, the only time I have success is when I bait a fullhop aerial into another DJ aerial but most the time that doesn't even work since my friend can will just adjust and just camp some more. I will mix in WL ftilts but its easy to just camp those too. Any tips or should I just improve on my ability to read his approaches responding with retreating fairs/bairs?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
You can bait almost any falcon with well spaced aerials, wavelands and brief dash dancing. Flirt with the line of safety but leave yourself an opportunity to use one of your best tools to stuff his approach (pivot retreating bair, spaced uair, high ftilt, jab) before his nair catches you off guard.

You can space a fair on his shield and follow with high ftilt (mixup), perfect waveland into grab or whatever move would be spaced best, empty jump waveland away, or even dash attack when his % isn't super low. Depends on how campy he is. Prefect wavelands can stop some of his camping but you have to be smart with them

Basic bait/punish tactics:
AC bair turnaround ftilt/jab
usmash jab (gimmick)
sh uair/bair to platform waveland
Fulljump dair to dj aerial
Fulljump bair to falling uair/bair
Retreating uair to dj aerial
Etc.

ihasabuket

Smash Journeyman
been trying to make use of nair recently. Found out the second hit comes out frames 20-21 and can be auto canceled (only 5 frames of landlag) into jab, grab, tilt ect. You can also bait really well with sh bair DJ aerial or even waveland to the platform above you with the DJ.

Bwmat

Smash Ace
Fulljump bair to falling uair/bair

that is so good. fj bair so that you would have hit them had they fullhopped (whether or not you think they are going to) to fade away bair so that it just BARELY hits them. I've tricked people so many times with this.

Even if they read the second bair, if you space it right they can't punish (at least, not usually) as long as they either shielded, spot dodged, or rolled away.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Sh ff perfect waveland is so underused. It requires practice but your options increase so much in neutral. No one is really expecting it even in today's meta.

The Young Izzy Iz

Smash Apprentice
Retreating fair absolutely destroys people with sloppy aggression, especially if you bate well. Foreward dash to bait into retreating fair means that you'll probably beat the Falcon in regards to hitbox distance and unless his aerial is a sweet-spotted knee you're definitely going to get the better of any trade. More stylish things you can do are: threaten him into shield short-hop -> waveland -> jab and followup with a dash to JC grab if he's still in shield. Some of the actual Ganon mains can probably give you better advice but generally I'd say use Fair's superior range to your advantage.

EDIT:
Ganon: 6 frames jumpstart + 14 frame fair start = 20 frames 'til hitboxes active
vs
Captain Falcon: 5 frame jumpstart + 14 frame fair start = 19 frames 'til hitboxes active

You should be able to get out your retreating fair well in time to defeat an advancing knee if you make the read on his approach.

Last edited:
Top Bottom