• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I convince my parents to bring me to tournaments?

Darkblade1

Smash Rookie
I'm 13, and my parents think smash is a waste of time and won't let me go to my local. What should I do to get them to let me go?

mythbust4000

Smash Journeyman
NNID
I dont know but whatever you do dont seem aggressive with it. They will find it disrespectful and will lower your chances. Also what are there reasoning for being a waste of your time?

Darkblade1

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure what the reasoning is, they just say that it's a waste of time whenever I bring it up.

DoomCake196

Smash Apprentice
I'm not sure what the reasoning is, they just say that it's a waste of time whenever I bring it up.
Probably they think video games are a waste of time and liken video games to toys: they're just fun to play once in a while but they should not be used more than that. What i did is, I got them to take me to one tourney by talking to the more rational parent. After that make a deal like, 3 100% in a row on tests and you get to go. It worked for me.

Darkblade1

Smash Rookie
Probably they think video games are a waste of time and liken video games to toys: they're just fun to play once in a while but they should not be used more than that. What i did is, I got them to take me to one tourney by talking to the more rational parent. After that make a deal like, 3 100% in a row on tests and you get to go. It worked for me.
Ok, I'll try to do something like that. Thanks for the advice!

Lunanix

Smash Cadet
NNID
lunanix
I dont know but whatever you do dont seem aggressive with it. They will find it disrespectful and will lower your chances. Also what are there reasoning for being a waste of your time?
This is one of the most important things definitely, I see so many younger players have there parents say no, they kick up a fuss and get themselves permabanned from events. Be nice, explain what it is and why you do it. And kiss ass, make them a cup of tea or coffee or something every now and then. Like DoomCake196 said try hard at school and hopefully they might let you go.

Don't worry if you can't go now since your 13 that is definitely quite a young age for parents to be letting there children out, in the next few years most parents tend to be a bit more nicer when it comes to letting there kids go out to tournaments and stuff. The smash scene isn't going anywhere any time soon so its just about having patience.

Also probably the last and best tip would be to have a friend who goes as well, preferably a close friend that your friends know well or know there parents. It's common for parents to be hesitant to let there children go but if they go with close friends or you have arrange for one parent to take the two of you it can always help you get a shot at it.

Good Luck getting to tournaments, you won't regret it once your there!

:)

Darkblade1

Smash Rookie
This is one of the most important things definitely, I see so many younger players have there parents say no, they kick up a fuss and get themselves permabanned from events. Be nice, explain what it is and why you do it. And kiss ***, make them a cup of tea or coffee or something every now and then. Like DoomCake196 said try hard at school and hopefully they might let you go.

Don't worry if you can't go now since your 13 that is definitely quite a young age for parents to be letting there children out, in the next few years most parents tend to be a bit more nicer when it comes to letting there kids go out to tournaments and stuff. The smash scene isn't going anywhere any time soon so its just about having patience.

Also probably the last and best tip would be to have a friend who goes as well, preferably a close friend that your friends know well or know there parents. It's common for parents to be hesitant to let there children go but if they go with close friends or you have arrange for one parent to take the two of you it can always help you get a shot at it.

Good Luck getting to tournaments, you won't regret it once your there!

:)
I'll try to keep this all in mind. Thanks!

Last edited:

DoomCake196

Smash Apprentice
I'll try to keep this all in mind. Thanks!
And also when you kiss up to them catch them right after you do something good like washing their car or getting good grades like I said before. Hope you can get to tourneys!

Last edited:
Top Bottom