• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I Condition/Neutral vs Defensive Playstyles as Dark Pit?

Rucent

Only strive for first place.
Hello everyone! I am a Sonic main who is trying to bring Dark Pit out from pocket to secondary for matchups like Rosalina. Although I probably will be using the blue blur for most cases, I want to bring Dark Pit out when I believe Sonic isn't working out. My question is obviously the title mentioned above, but I also wouldn't mind any tips outside of combos. :D Thank you!

Rucent

Only strive for first place.
Well, I was thinking of defensive play vs Dark Pit in a general sense. Like, if I decided to meet the enemy half way, and do something like a short hop retreating fair to bait something or as I approach the opponent they remove shield to do a jab or tilt that I can't punish after shielding myself. I know these types of things can go a million different ways, but I was thinking, in the case that I am forced to approach or my opponent doesn't have to approach, what could I do to initiate a beneficial response? That might be a better way of explaining my question?

I did happen to look at the match up thread and alittle of the meta game thread before making this thread, and it gave me lots of ideas I could use some of his moves for. I really only looked at videos of Nairo & a Japanese player (Earth, I think?) before I decided to research and take Dark Pit more seriously as a character I want to use when my back is agianst the wall.

Again, thank you. :D

:drflip:

Dr. Snakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueDaBeast
3DS FC
4511-1428-9509
Pit's approach options are actually a bit sketchy imo. SH Fair is pretty good vs taller characters and SH Aerial approaches in general. SH Nair is pretty decent for stopping some grounded approaches, but it's smaller range makes it so that it's easily stuffed but longer ranged moves (the animation is a lot bigger than the hitbox).

Pit's mostly a defensive character. He baits approaches and tries to place the opponent in awkward positions where you can punish them to the fullest, mostly with Grabs. He's particularly good at catching landings via a variety of different ways (Dash/Pivot Grabs, Dash Attacks, Aerials, Arrows, SideB).

But that's his punish game and a different topic. You wanted to know how to deal with Defensive play. That's actually one of the hardest players to play; the Reactive Player. They let you make the first move, and Pit doesn't really have a bunch of moves that are safe on shield. The closest is maybe Landing Bair at max range. For these people, I like to try to figure out their main go-to defensive options, be it rolling, spotdodging, or holding shield. From that point on, I try to continuously punish that option to force them to either switch options, or play more aggressively.

Ex. The enemy Luigi knows we want to grab them. He'll sit still and when you run up to his face, he'll spotdodge. We can cover spotdodge in a variety of ways. SH Nair will last longer than the Spotdodge's invincibility, Pivot Grab will get him right as spotdodge ends if timed correctly, or you can just read the spotdodge, run up to him and SideB/Pivot FSmash/whatever. He eventually gets sick of taking damage, switches to rolls. Same story there. Cover his options and force him to mix it up.

Basically do whatever you can to put them out of their element, or make them play more aggressively. Once they play more aggressively, then we can go back to our original gameplay of baiting out moves and punishing them.

Every option they do can be beaten with something. A correctly spaced SideB will stuff their faster attacks if you space correctly and get the super-armor. Depending on how strong the move is, you can space FSmash to get only the second hit and completely outrange almost every Jab/Tilt in the game, and beat it out. This will eventually force them to shield more often, which is what we want, meaning that we can Grab them more. See how that all works out?

(Now for the shameless advertisement!)

I've written up this Pit Guide detailing a lot of different things about Pit. Check it out when you get the chance!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Va9GvzFaCZnF4xtyGPScFFJ9gEGaTO-xZDELbBJLe7Y/edit#

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
It works like this. If you play a game of rock-paper-scissors, you choose rock and he/she chooses scissors. The next time it happens, he/she will probably choose paper to beat the last action you made (rock). What do you do? Scissors can beat paper.

If you dash attack, they will most likely be putting up their shield to block the dash attack. When the same sitution comes up, that's when you can go in for a grab upon either running up to them, or grab them upon landing. Tomohawk grabs are very useful against super campy/defensive players because they can't react quick enough to avoid your tomohawk grabs. Fortunately, Pit/Dark have multiple jumps to fake players out and to get a reaction out of what they will do next. It's all about reacting to what your opponent is doing and making sure you carefully follow their movement.

Top Bottom