• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I build a perfect controller?

Berble

Smash Apprentice
For some time I have been having trouble doing a lot of precise techniques on the left side of the stage that I can do easily on the right side. I can moonwalk, hax dash and pivot well going from the left to right but hardly at all in the other direction. I know that its not just me being bad at the inputs on one side because I tried a brand new white controller and I can do everything better than ever going/facing both directions. However there are a lot of problems with white controllers like issues with dashing back and the triggers jamming. Does anyone have experience with mixing and matching controller parts to make one really good one? Also, side question does anyone know if theres any difference between the non white gamecube controllers? I've heard the platinum ones are the best but I don't know if thats true or if theres even any difference at all. Thanks for any help

flwns

Smash Cadet
I have no tips on building a pefect contoller. But I am interested in doing so.

Also, since the new smash branded controllers just came out, im wondering if anyone can comment on how good they are at performing advanced tech in melee.

Last edited:
There's not much you can do to mod a Gamecube controller. you could take out the rumble motor to make it lighter. It also makes the weight more balanced. you could also swap the stick caps for Wii stick caps. The sticks are longer, so it'll take longer to move it. The good thing about then is that they have more friction than Gamecube's stick caps. This might be better for nontechnical characters though. I play Peach, and I'd never want to go back. Just sharing info

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
For some time I have been having trouble doing a lot of precise techniques on the left side of the stage that I can do easily on the right side. I can moonwalk, hax dash and pivot well going from the left to right but hardly at all in the other direction. I know that its not just me being bad at the inputs on one side because I tried a brand new white controller and I can do everything better than ever going/facing both directions. However there are a lot of problems with white controllers like issues with dashing back and the triggers jamming. Does anyone have experience with mixing and matching controller parts to make one really good one? Also, side question does anyone know if theres any difference between the non white gamecube controllers? I've heard the platinum ones are the best but I don't know if thats true or if theres even any difference at all. Thanks for any help
I just did this yesterday. When it comes to the left->right discrepancy that's just your hands. Most people are that way (because you play port 1 and spawn on the left side of the stage when you practice every single time). If you're describing the problem correctly cause sides of the stage don't actually affect anything.

But as for the controller, get a tri wing and open it up. Take out the parts that you want from your "good" controller and put them into your other one.

There are 3 parts:
Top half
Electronics
Bottom half

The top half contains the buttons. The buttons themselves don't actually make a difference, it's the rubber padding underneath that makes a difference as that provides the resistance for A/B/Y/X. If you have loose buttons from a old controller and you want to replace the super stiff white buttons all you need to do is change out/swap the rubber. And you'll more or less get the same feel.

The electronics/circuit board is pretty much just a circuit board that connects the wire to the gamecube. The chord is not easily removable so if you want the white extra long chord you're going to have to keep the white electronics. It has 2 stick boxes, one for the analog and one for the c stick, and those electronically read the inputs you put on the joystick. The joysticks are replaceable, you can just pull them off the stick box and slide a new one on. This was helpful for me because I have a worn joystick that has built up notches over the years and that helps me shield drop, it's harder for me on brand new controllers. (I basically go from 95% to 15% lol). Not much you can easily change here but you can replace the electronics out of any controller and put them in a new shell. You can replace the stick boxes I believe but that's harder than doing the stuff I did below.

The bottom half contains the shoulder buttons and those are also hard to remove. If you don't like the white shoulder buttons slap on a bottom half from another controller. It's an easy fix and doesn't affect anything else but the color.

Hopefully that's everything, you can actually do a good number of things. And I almost got my set up perfectly, I wanted a new Z button, old rubber button pads, new electronics, old joysticks, old shoulder buttons and a new white long chord. Only thing is my joystick is a bit stiff cause it's reliant on the white electronics/stick box but the buttons and the shoulders are loose how I like them and I now have electronics that actually work.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
Yeah, you can only really just change the parts through triwing. Hopefully mixing and matching can get you what you want.

crimsonfail

Smash Rookie
There's not much you can do to mod a Gamecube controller. you could take out the rumble motor to make it lighter. It also makes the weight more balanced. you could also swap the stick caps for Wii stick caps. The sticks are longer, so it'll take longer to move it. The good thing about then is that they have more friction than Gamecube's stick caps. This might be better for nontechnical characters though. I play Peach, and I'd never want to go back. Just sharing info
I'm a spacie main and I can confirm that this also helps me be more precise with tech stuff.

Top Bottom