• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I become a famous player?

• Thread starter Deleted member 189823
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 189823

Hello, one of my "dreams" has always been to become a known player and all. I never cared for being the absolute best, as being just good enough (while following my playstyle, maybe) would suffice. But a problem I have, I think people need you to pit yourself against (what they consider, apparently) to be "good players". Like, you can go around, taking games and consistently being the best of your respective scene, but it seems that can only take you so far. What if your opponents hardly ever take games off you? Are you not a good player, because of that? And I can only become so good if my scene isn't the best out there.

tl;dr: Winning can only take you so far if people put the "your opponent is bad" excuse.

Last edited by a moderator:

kingman1

Smash Rookie
NNID
kingman1
Well, you need to go out. Like, "out". Search for tourneys far and wide and stuff. And I think to become known, you gotta WANT to be the absolute best. "good enough" won't cut it. There are alot of "good enough" players in the world... and alot of them have no idea that Smash has a competitive scene and all. No, to be famous & known, you've gotta aim for the top baby.

D

Deleted member 189823

Oh. By "good enough", I meant more like "among the best". Not the very very best, but good enough to be recognized. And by the way, the Smash scene in my country is only pretty much limited to where I live, the capital city. Going to the U.S is the only chance I've got?

Antunee

Dinkey King
NNID
Andami
Going to the U.S is the only chance I've got?
Basically. Look at ZeRo. He's probably the best Smash 4 player in the world as well as being one of the top Brawl and PM players. But, he only became widely known AFTER he travelled to the U.S. to play.

Taken from SmashWiki:
"Shortly before Apex 2013, ZeRo arrived in the United States to attend XSmash, and shocked the world by winning the tournament, defeating top professionals such as Vinnie, Nairo, and Mew2King during his march to victory."

Before that, he was a relatively unknown Chilean smash player.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
1.Win a major tournament , your best chance is to use a character that isn't top tier that way you'll get noticed easily. If you win with diddy then its not as impressive.
2. start a youtube channel and twitch channel aiming at helping lower level players, also don't be arrogant, people hate arrogance, be modest instead if you won the tournament.
3. make sure you connect and become part of the inner circle with the other prominent players. Get on Zero's twitch streams and try to get him to promote you for example.
4. you may consider practicing upwards of 20+ hours a week, the pros make this stuff a career.

To be quite honest its best to not go for this type of lifestyle, thats what it is, a lifestyle. You may win a tournament but in order to keep your popularity up you have to keep going and going and going. Take it from me, i know someone who is moderately prominent in the e-sports MOBA scene. But this person tells me he wishes he could just play the game for fun instead. Its too much pressure and stress.

Also, the professionals aren't living the high life. Typically this sort of dedication does not pay the bills, it may force you to bum off other people to support yourself.

You can try to do this, but if you can't win a major tournament consider yourself lucky. You'll be glad you didn't get into e-sports. If you still want to do this, then maybe you just have that kind of personality, just do some research so you know what you're getting in to.

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
Oh. By "good enough", I meant more like "among the best". Not the very very best, but good enough to be recognized.
Yeah, that mindset isn't going to work, as Leffen said "If you want top 8 you aren't going to get top 8, only people aiming for number 1 get top 8."

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
You should find a Smash scene near your area and start there. Travelling is expensive. I live in Ontario, close to Michigan, and that can get expensive for me.

You may not become well known worldwide by just playing there, but you will become well known in your area. Kickstarter campaigns have been started before by players to travel off the country, so if you become well known there, you could gather support from fellow smashers.

And if you go to the US, make sure you go to tournaments that a have good reputation of being organized well. In other words, don't go to Apex.

Toon612Link

Smash Journeyman
play all the smash bros competitively except smash 64, and brawl. You also got to have a weird signature look about you as well... Wear a scarf, Have a curly mustache, Look over normally normal, Dye your hair blue, Get tattoo's everywhere.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Have a match against Mew2king. Doesn't matter if you're good or bad at Smash Bros., since the plan it's to kill him on stage in front of everybody.

Waluigi is too big

Smash Journeyman
NNID
waluigi44
You could try to be entertaining and get famous doing other stuff.

Shofu is really popular without ranking high in any majors because of youtube.

D

Deleted member

There's a convention that we have here in SA called AVCon, they hold tournaments there including Smash (Last year we had Brawl and Melee). I compete there and play against friends whenever it's not on.

Pretty much, just play in tournaments around your area until you think you're truly good enough, maybe avoid trying to move out to tourneys like Apex until you've won a minor tournament near you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
  1. Play a character that is not often seen in tournaments and gain results.
  2. Gain crowd hype with said character in a competitive setting by playing well and playing flashy.
  3. Take sets off of highly ranked players.
  4. Rinse and repeat as often as possible.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
Attend the most tournaments you can, develop a (good) personality, go to some big tourneys, appear in streams, give interviews, look for new stuff (mainly tech), be a great player and do everything slowly. There is some time to get popular, everyone began in locals and little tournaments.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

Wise advice from a wise monkey.

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
Everyone starts at the bottom, the easiest way is attending numerous amounts of local tournaments. Improve your skill and train with some of the better Smashers. Ideally, you might gain more notoriey for quirky antics. Participating in Twitch streams also helps.

TL; DR: git gud and go 2 tourneys

ICXCM

Smash Cadet
No one has mentioned money. Go after the money. Money. Everyone has mentioned be nice and play the game. Sure, but money, get the money. $50 up for grabs at a local. Take it, take it all.

Godzillionaire

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Crit-Hit
3DS FC
3797-7329-5972
As people have already said, git gud. It's not to sound mean but that's really all it comes down to, that and your personality of course. People won't really pay attention to you if you seem like a boring person.

Toxiphobe

Smash Cadet
1.Get good.
2.Win tourneys.
3. You'll get recognition. Be the best in your state, never give up, and keep practicing. There will always be someone better than you no matter what so keep playing and learn new tricks.

Last edited:

MrMariosta1

Smash Rookie
You have to want to be the ABSOLUTE BEST. "Good", "great", "among the best", and "okay" aren't gonna cut it. You have to aim to be the BEST Smash player, better than ANYONE in the UNIVERSE.

Top Bottom