• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do I Beat Olimar?!?

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
he pisses me off. if you get in close, he can roll away. if you're far away, he can beat our waddle dees with pikmin toss. one grab from him can equal 40 percent if you miss a dodge. how do i go about beating olimar? he's the only character that gives me problems (no matter who I am)

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
i have problmes vs olimar too. but YOU need to calm down.

dont make threads that curse in the title. dont be an idiot when asking a question and it helps if you describe what your doing.

i suggest using space arials because your hitboxes have a bigger hitbox than olimars. also since u cant CG him use your tilts. and good olimars will get u into that upthrow with instant 35% lol hes too good. so get him off stage and gimpppppppp. its the olny thing that makes him non broken

CervPurp63

Smash Apprentice
ok man. thanks for the advice. i dunno, my friend is frustrating at times because the only way he beats me is if he's olimar. i can beat any of his other characters. but olimar is alot to handle.

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
Hey - i lurked in here when I noticed the title - I'm a very active olly player and I have some vids of me beating up DDD's...you guys are really easy to beat. I have no idea why i'm saying this but I have a few tips.

1) NEVER LAND IN FRONT OF OLLY - DDD is the easiest character in all of brawl to use grab control - just don't do it...ever.

2) Stay away from waddle vs pikmin battles. You are not going to win them...however, pikmin are easy to kill - learn the moves that kill them...approach with those moves.

3) Go off the ledge - olly's recovery is his worst part of his game - repeat your bairs over and over and over - diminishing returns don't matter if you are pushing olly offstage.

Hope that helps.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeh, listen to shink. this is basically what you'd do with any character versus olimar btw.

R!S3

Smash Apprentice
against pikmin tossers...

jab attack stops throw pikmin...except the purple one...

use bair to approach...dont get grabed by him...

just dont do it...

very hard matchup

i use a diff character vrs olimar

Buuman

Smash Ace
I actually like this matchup just because of the soul reason it's a challenge. F tilt is your best friend in this match up. SAVE YOUR UP TILT!!!!!!!! Keep it at full power, so when you get oli up to the death percent, kill him with it. You can break his pikmin with f tilt and neutral A. Fair gets the pikmin of of you. Back throw alot this round..pure because it does 16 damage ---------> Olimar is light, once he's off the edge...and the king of edgeguarding jumps out there...he should be done for.

Evelgest

Smash Apprentice
I used to main Olimar before choosing D3. Olimar is a beast, whether in the air or on the ground, but off the stage, he's pretty much defenseless. Edgeguard. Get him off the stage and gimp his recovery, but if you're playing a GOOD Olimar, he'll Whistle to rearrange his Pikmen so his Purple one will be the next in line. Of all of the Pikmen, only the purple one can knock you off of the edge if you're grabbing it. Utilize Bairs and Fairs when Olimar's off the stage. It's a little risky using aerial attacks when on the stage, since you're such a large target for Oli's Fairs, Uairs, or Nairs. Note that Olimar also has a spike (Dair), but it's determined by which Pikmen is used.

Bair Wall of Pain as demonstrated by Romeo
romeo DDD vs dan OLIMAR

SKEET SHADY

Smash Journeyman
heres a set of me vs dope when hes using ddd, since my main is olimar and the fact that i might be picking up ddd, here's the set=p, btw shouldn't be telling u this since olimar is my main, but if you ever vs any olimar, counterpick to rainbow cruise or jungle japes =/ (3rd match is my fox vs dope just incase you want to see who wins the set, even though this isnt a fox thread=p)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=bkN2VMx9V9M
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y1YIBFT3j3w

http://youtube.com/watch?v=F858hLpXgko

Goodstyle

Smash Apprentice
I can't give advice other than gimp, gimp and gimp. I
hate when my mains are having problems with eachother.

TheFast

Smash Lord
when olimar is fighting DDD hes going to have mostly purple pikmen there is almost no way around it, unless the take the time to kill the purples, but back to the point with purples olimar's range on the ground will be cut in have and that is what DDD excells in. use back airs and occasional down airs when u know u can hit with it to pressure him to the ground then use f tilts and jabs to use your range to its full extent

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
word, olly is teh lame.

ledgeguard, a lot. lure em over and force em to tether and bamn. dunzo at less than 40% ;)

for non edge levels, i play with a similar tech.. involving Ds hiding off the level and grabbtossing olly off the screen :D

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
def a hard match up. i consider myself to be a pretty decent player.. and my friend who is good, but doesnt kno any ATs will not beat me unless he plays oli.

*pikman toss*
*pikman toss*
*pikman toss*
*pikman toss*
forces me to attack
*pikman toss*
*pikman toss*
*smash*

very frustrating.

my advise:

edge lvls: edgeguard the poop outta that nerd when he tethers. Ds has THE best edgeguard in the game.

non edge lvls: same tactic, except i hide offscreen and force em over to me. then i grapple throw em off the screen.

killing oli with less than 50% makes me all warm n fuzzy inside :D

Dotcom

Smash Lord
Though lookout when you edgegaurd good Olimars(myself included) will keep track of our Pikmin. WHile your hanging on the side edgehogging we can throw a Pikmin to get you off and then UPB. When you get an Olimar off the stage approach with Bairs and try to land some, just don't only rely on gimping.

Top Bottom