• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do i beat IC

bdance23

Smash Cadet
I can't beat these little f***s, how the hell do i beat the ice climbers.

My friend uses them and he is a bit better than me, however I caught up to him when he was Lucas. Now he's gone to ice climbers and I don't know what the hell to do. He grabs the hell outta me. That stupid spin i can never seem to avoid. and icicle throw spams whenever I am far. His timing is almost perfect, as I can never seem to dodge his attacks. Combos don't work, if i get him up in the air he just dairs.

I use Diddy, Wolf, and Toon Link.

Help me.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
.......do you honestly think we're going to tell you how to beat our main character? You should be posting in the board for you main characters to ask that question. Either way I'll give you some advice, try separating the IC's and killing Nana off early, Popo is much easier to deal with after that.

HolyChef

Smash Ace
i know this is pretty good. make sure you ask the next guy you play in a tourney about his weaknesses and how to beat him too.

what a concept. instead of discussing ic's strengths, we'll talk about his weaknesses.

Delphiki

Smash Champion
Getting to know your character's weaknesses is arguably the best way to improve your game. In line with that, the best way to improve is to play those people who know you best and exploit your habits most thoroughly.

bdance - Toon Link can spam a lot vs. ICs, but try not to stay in the air often. While they only have a couple of good aerials, it will allow them free reign on the ground, and that is something you don't want. Also, as a general tip, ICs don't have a huge range of approaches - they have their three special attacks, and in the hands of better players have pistoning w/F-tilts, Bairs, Fairs...or pretty much anything, Also, I believe Toon Link outranges them by a small bit. But be careful when you get close. If I played the match (Toon Link is one of my two secondaries), I would try to stay at about medium range - that is, close enough to take advantage, or at least pressure, if they miss a smash attack, but also far enough away to pressure them with projectiles. Also, I think bombs have a strong tendency to split up the Climbers. Like Corner-Trap said, it will then be a pretty easy match. One of Popo's strongest points against Toon Link is a running shield grab, and if you can just use light attacks and reversed D-smashes (so that the SECOND hit is towards Popo - that means less punishable lag) you should be able to finish him off while taking minimal damage.

Sorry I can't help with the other two matchups, I don't know those characters very well. Though I do know I hate bananas.

@ Holy Chef - I did that at the last tournament I was at. Granted he didn't know yet that we were playing next round, but that doesn't change the fact that I won the set.

J.L

Smash Ace
its really as simple as dont get grabbed. Space yourself really well.

I would suggest picking zss, her forward b has a huge range and it can go thorugh almost everything iceclimbers has. Space forward b intelligently. even if they block there is a good chance nana will get hit, then chase after them and follow through.

salaboB

Smash Champion
.......do you honestly think we're going to tell you how to beat our main character? You should be posting in the board for you main characters to ask that question. Either way I'll give you some advice, try separating the IC's and killing Nana off early, Popo is much easier to deal with after that.
People on the other boards say "Go to X's board if you want advice on how to beat them, people there actually know how to play them." so if someone listens to you they'll quite likely just get sent in circles :p

ss118

Smash Master
Wolf has Nairs, Bairs, Shine and an f-smash that will easily seperate the ICs. Diddy can spam bannana's and dash attacks. The best way to beat ice climbers is to use a move with enough momentum so u can't get shield grabbed. An example of this is Snake and Sonic's Dash attack. Snake can further pressure by adding in his u-smash after the initial hit on the dash attack.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Let's not forget that grabs don't make 100% of the IC game. Blizzards, squalls, dsmashes and utilts can rack up damage very very fast and they can gimp people with upB.

Top Bottom