• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I avoid grabs

Osmosis124

Smash Cadet
As a Bowser I feel like my worst problem is that I can't avoid getting grabbed.

Getting grabbed OoS isn't a problem since I can space shields with jabs, ftilt, and aerials but I can't stop characters from grabbing when they approach.

Say I'm against Sonic, and I get the player to respect UpB OoS, but now they have this excellent option to run and grab me. It doesn't help when they constantly get the super armor frame grab (This happens to me ALOT).

I feel like I'm doing something wrong, maybe shielding to much and being to aggressive and predictable with UpB.

A few other questions
Is there any reason for Bowser to use Spot dodging?
I keep trying to DI out of sonic's U air chairs am I DI'ing wrong?

CPU?

Smash Apprentice
From what I've read you're relying on up-b OoS too much. You kind of answered your own question as well. If your having a problem getting grabbed use more forward and down tilts to space the opponent out. Up-b is best used when the opponent is approching with short hop arial attack giving you ample time to you an upB safely. Although it is still good as punishing grounded attacks you shouldn't expect to use upB its more of a reaction thing IMO.

Vysetron

Smash Cadet
NNID
Vysetron
Think of upB OOS as a reversal in other fighting games- it's really good, but you should use it sparingly in non-guaranteed scenarios because it's easy to punish. CPU pretty much nailed it otherwise: zone them out with tilts, especially dtilt because it's fast and safeish. Bair is also a good spacing tool just because of how fat the hitbox is, but use it too much and you'll just get punished for it.

TL;DR: it ain't easy being huge. Throw out awkward hitboxes at the right range and hope. Or just grab them first.

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
Bowser is one of the few characters who doesn't much benefit from staying grounded; he effectively has no wavedash and his dash dance is situationally useful at best - I only use it to set up pivot grabs and bait for bairs myself.

Taking that into consideration, simply short-hopping either straight up or retreating slightly when your opponent approaches will set up a fair punish or, if you think they're going to shield, a side-B. Bowser is a commitment-heavy character so don't just throw moves out - make sure you save his heavy hits for when they'll either connect or they can't be punished. If your opponents are using shield pressure to force you into a grab, either use an up-B reversal or even just roll back (normally rolling is bad but unless you're fighting a spacey they shouldn't be able to follow you before your lag ends if you roll while they're hitting your shield) and wait until you can bait an opening or zone your opponent into a bad position.

And the nice thing about Bowser is that you only really need one or two favorable exchanges to turn the match; if you can bait or zone your opponent into even one mistake you can easily get a stock out of it if you know your options and make the most of it.

Last edited:

FakeKraid

Smash Apprentice
Oh, also: never forget that while Bowser's standing grab is slow and short, his dash grab outreaches almost everyone else's that isn't a tether. So if you have a chance to grab, you can always improve your chances by dashing first unless you're grabbing from shield, which is rarely the safest thing to do anyway.

Top Bottom