• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How did you unlock characters?

Zero Suit Wario

Smash Ace
NNID
Candytechnics
3DS FC
4081-6017-8838
Switch FC
SW 3576 5099 8787
I was surprised to unlock Wario through 100-man Smash.. all I wanted was the challenge box.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
i imagine everyone did the quick-match (1stock and just suicide over and over again) since 120 games that way goes up in about 20-30min. All the other methods are annoyingly specific or time consuming (beat the classic mode 25 times...really lol)

pikafire

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2509-2906-9493
I'm just letting the characters unlock as I happen upon them, not in a rush. Played about 3 hours tonight and I unlocked Ness and Dark Pit. The others will come!

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I just randomly did Classic with a bunch of random characters and unlocked most of them, the only one I had trouble with was ROB with the trophies..

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
i imagine everyone did the quick-match (1stock and just suicide over and over again) since 120 games that way goes up in about 20-30min. All the other methods are annoyingly specific or time consuming (beat the classic mode 25 times...really lol)
I did the same thing as pikafire. I just played for fun and unlocked the whole roster (I've only played 70 matches). It's not as time consuming as you make it out to be.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
VS mode, 1 stock, CPU level 1, handicap on, handicap set to 300% on CPU.

Got all the characters in a little over 2 hours this way.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Wario was the only unlockable i actually cared about. I only continued the spam-death to get the rest because i was waiting for my computer to do things that needed regular inputs anyway.
Surprisingly, Wario was the only character i had interest in playing that wasnt default. talk about a wide roster to start with. I expected Megaman, Pacman, and Sonic to be a pain in the butt to unlock because of the "Four Gaming Icons" theme with them and Mario on the same screen duking it out. Yet, all 4 available at the start waaaaaaaat? lol

Last edited:

Chronocide

Smash Cadet
So far I've just been playing casually and doing what I would normally do whilst playing smash, I've had a look at the character unlock requirement and they seem a little tedious. I'll probably see how I do with most of them and if they get to annoying I'll just spam death.

PeterJude

Smash Ace
About 3 hours of play, 12 odd classic modes (mostly for fun), and all I've got left is ROB and Jigglypuff. A damn site more fun than throwing through 120 matches as well.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I unlocked Falco through classic mode as Mega Man. I unlocked Wario after I played smash run for the first time.

Every Single one via 1 v 1 Smash. 2 Stock with the CPU at 7 or 8 difficulty. Took about 4 hours, give or take.

I figured if I was going to play 120 consecutive matches. I might as well use the time I learn as many characters as I could, and try every stage I could. I unlocked a lot of challenges in the process too.

I'm feeling a lot more confident with Mac, Pac-Man, and Zero Suit Samus thanks to not super cheaping my way through. Also I didn't mess up my records with a ton of suicides.

Last edited:

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
100 man for Wario, 1 stock suicides for Lucina and Ganon, and 3 hours of online fights with sister and friend for all of the characters before Lucina. Still need to unlock 4 I think.

WhuTom

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-9000-8776
Same as OP, just 1 stock 1 on 1's but I didn't suicide. Random picked for a lot of matches as well to get a flavour of the new characters and old ones with changes.

haydyn

Smash Cadet
i just unlocked them by doing classic mode on 4.5 - 6.5 and i unlocked them all but used a guide on the last few (mainly rob because of the whole get 200 trophies and do a match). it was a surprise that i got jigglypuff for no reason after doing only 20 matches and the way wario didnt come after i beat 100 man fight and that i realised you had to do a match afterwards

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
So far I unlocked them in this order:

Falco - I believe he appeared after clearing classic the first time.
Ness - He appeared after about 10 vs. matches.
Dark Pit - After clearing classic four times.
Wario - Can't remember, think it might have been related to a multi man match.
Lucina - After 40 (I think) or so vs matches
Dr. Mario - Completed classic with Mario.
Duck Hunt Duo - Completed classic 8 times.
Jigglypuff - After my 60th vs match, I'm certain because I had checked the stats and saw I had done 58 matches, so I played another two to see if anyone would unlock. (I heard they unlocked in the 10s.
Mr. Game & Watch - Just a few moments ago, completed classic for the 10th time. (With Jigglypuff)

Also I heard someone say if you collected 200 trophies you'd unlock R.O.B. That's a load of baloney because I'm sitting at 202 trophies right now with no unlock. Edit: I guess not, just did a match and he appeared.

R.O.B, Ganondorf and Bowser Jr. are still missing in action.

Last edited:

MSCowboy

Smash Rookie
I did it through classic mode for every single one that can be unlocked through classic, then went to grab the rest. I played a lot of classic...

SoraYoshi

Smash Cadet
NNID
xNinjaYoshix
3DS FC
0130-1855-1624
I kept doing classic mode til I got them all.

Erureido

Smash Hero
NNID
Erureido
3DS FC
5301-1552-4121
Switch FC
SW-4754-8756-2004
I first started by playing classic modes three times, so Falco, Ness, and Dark Pit were my first unlockables. I then did the cheap-suicide method to unlock everyone else, mainly because I didn't want to get 200 trophies to unlock ROB.

Top Bottom