• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you transition from *previous game* to Project M?

SirDavidMandrake

Smash Rookie
NNID
AlphaDave
I find it entertaining having gamers from Melee & Brawl clash on PM, the difference in styles can be quite stark. Every Melee player I know who plays PM (myself included) are just all out tech skill assault while Brawl players are much more measured in their approach play, much more willing to wait you out.

Not that one is better than the other, I love the way the PMBR has created something that can work for both communities.

Ultima777

Smash Apprentice
I played all 3 games. Brawl was my favorite but I like the other games too. My transition was a little bit difficult but I now consider myself good at the game. I mostly played with my friends. Then 1 day we wanted to go to a tournament to see what it was like. It had Melee, Brawl, and Project M. We were like, "wtf is Project M?" I looked it up and I was interested because of the improvements to Ike. But I just decided to try it out at the tournament. We went to the tournament and didm`t do so well. But, I played Project M for the first time and loved it. I proceeded to download it. (This was when 2.6b was new.) I loved how Ike felt in Project M. (The other characters as well for the most part) He was more like he was in the games instead of being a slow strong type (like bowser or dedede). Now me and my friends play project M instead of brawl. I hope this game is played as long as Melee and smash 64 have been.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
Played Brawl with friends, first completely casually later a bit more serious but not competitive (items off and stuff but still wiimote :D) it was fun for me but got filled up at some point because it annoyed me going for the funny stuff will get you punished (didnt know melee at that point and now, theres pm :p) I first saw PM when the 2.5 was released and since I live in a PAL region but had to pursue my new addiction I knew all characters, their strategies combos and ATs before playing the game once (lol @ that), so transitioning was pretty easy when PM finally worked for me (execution is still challenging, but thats why you train)

D

Deleted member

I never really did. The fighter I always played, was Melee and I still play it along with PM.

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
For my ninth birthday (I believe this was 2003) I got for my N64, three Nintendo games. I got Mario Kart 64, Mario Party, and Super Smash Bros. I got hooked on Smash Bros instantly, and played against my bothers, and we free for alled with items on. That's just what nine year olds did.

One year later, and I borrow Melee from a friend. I was like "Smash Bros. 64 who?" because it was so much better, had more characters, faster gamepley, etc,etc,etc. I played it on and off from then until 2010, (items/FFA) and couldn't play Brawl because the Wii I owned didn't support it. By the end of 2010, the gamecube was broken. There was a period of time where I completely abandoned Smash from 2010 until the beginning of 2012.

For Christmas 2011 (Basically 2012) we got a Wii (Our old one broke and we never bothered to get a new one. Like I said, I'd abandoned Smash to pursue other hobbies) and Brawl, and I devoured it. I didn't like the slow speed, but I eventually got used to it. Sometime during then, I discovered the existence of the competitive community. Until 2012, I literally had no idea that people played this series anything other than in their houses or online. I never knew that tournaments and tier lists existed. I got excited and started playing Brawl competitively with people via WiFi, and continued this until late November 2013, where I finally decided to get Project M 2.6b.

I immediately loved it more than Brawl. I remembered why I had so much fun with Melee. About a week later, 3.0 was released, and I never looked back. Now, I've got 20 people on my friends list, and even made a Facebook group dedicated to solely Project M and the trading of codes/discussion.

The story doesn't end here though. To this day, I've never played against any human player other than through WiFi, with the exception being my brothers four years ago with free for all items. I recently found a group that plays Melee/Project M in Central Florida, and many of them live in the same city. I look forward to playing competitive Smash offline for the first time since I became a Smash Bros. player 11 years ago. It'll be another great chapter in the story of my Smash experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom