• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you find your main ? And why do you like to play with him ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evmaxy54

Smash Champion
NNID
maXywashere
Can I just say, the OP is a better love story than The Fault In Our Stars.

To answer the question, decided to play Brawl again in Jan 2012 after not playing it for a good while. Decided to play as Zelda for whatever reason because I never really used her before. Tried to find stuff on her & whatnot, saw her placement on the tier list & 0 ****s were given that day.

Picked up Palutena in Sm4sh because Aerolink (because duh).

No idea why I picked up Ganon at all tbh.

Last edited:

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
:kirbymelee: In the past I used a lot of Kirby just because his multiple jumps really helped my air game and it was easy to play aaggressive with him. :ike: In brawl and project m I still used Kirby but also played Ike pretty well. His Nair was my bread and butter and his huge sword made spacing easy.

:4robinf: In smash 4 I play robin almost exclusively. I love using the spells, especially arcfire and arcthunder to rack up damage and easy follow ups with grabs and UPairs. Landing a nosferatu is especially satisfying. The levin sword is soo strong and gives many kill options, as well as a strong air game. The biggest reason I picked Robin is because she is so sexy! ;)

Iblistech

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NeosCross
3DS FC
3179-6577-8881
Switch FC
SW-7096-0760-2425
:4yoshi: and :4sonic: because I've got quite a bit in common with them, such as being born in the same year and month respectively.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
I play Samus. She just stuck with me ever since I picked up Project M. Ironically, I have played melee and brawl before Project M and I did not like using Samus then. Plus, the only Metroid game I've ever played was Metroid Prime: Hunters.

How weird that things ended up the way they are now. Even in smash 4 I main Samus. She will forever be my Universal Smash main.

Richard 89

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesker08
3DS FC
4768-7987-3562
I started out with fox when I came back to smashboards in 2012, but I became interested in finding different "mains" to expand my diversity in brawl, then I used marth and found him to be a perfect match to be one of my mains, I dropped fox to be a secondary of mine afterward. Then I started practicing with ike soon after, with a little help from a fellow ike user on smashboards I started practicing advanced techs with him.

I still wasn't satisfied with my number of characters so I went with falco. after I did some research of my own about falco techniques I then began practicing his dash attack- up smash combo, it was very rapid and I was impressed with the power it had. Then after I had three mains I wanted to expand with something harder, so I went with bowser. Sure he was the slowest in brawl, but with lots of practice and careful observation of my opponents movements, my handling of him was labeled scary.

I knew I had found my mains within one year and a half after my return, then I added wolf to my list. That's how I came to discovering all 5 of my mains in smash.

Grass

Smash Lord
I main my boy Marth.P.S. I also had the VHS of the Fire Emblem anime from like 98 or 99 so even then he was a familiar character to me :)
"But Prince Mars, we must go the other way."

Voice acting was terrible lol

Ahh, good times good times. It was still really terrible though.

As for my main, I just used whoever was easy to short hop with and it happened to be falco/peach.

Last edited:

Zink Imp

Smash Ace
"But Prince Mars, we must go the other way."

Voice acting was terrible lol

Ahh, good times good times. It was still really terrible though.

As for my main, I just used whoever was easy to short hop with and it happened to be falco/peach.
Well I had the VHS with Japanese voices and English subtitles lol.

kettering

Smash Rookie
So for like, a decade now, I have been playing smash. I started playing Fox the first day for some weird reason, got hooked instantly and I still main him now.

Fox is straightforward and got dat agility. He got them combos and follow-ups. So I guess you could say it's out of simple-mindedness but I do really like the flashy, showoff factor in certain characters, so he's going to showcase my sense of narcissism.

I've tried to find other characters that go well with me and it just comes out wrong. Fox is always there, accepting me once again with open arms.

Heroine of Winds

Smash Ace
I've been using Pikachu as my main ever since the first game. I guess it's because I love spamming his down+B move a lot. Lately I've also been maining Toon Link since I'm a Toon Link nut (yes, I admit this). Besides that, it's also because of how quick he is. Sure he's top tier, but it doesn't stop me from loving the little guy. :p

BerryBomber

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BerryBomber
I never truly "mained" someone until I was introduced to Smashboards and the competitive community. In Brawl I often played Lucas, Zero Suit Samus, and King DeDeDe, which easily transferred over to PM. I dropped Lucas afterwards however and threw in Charizard to the mix, thus my mains trio was born. Now going into Smash U I find myself maining a whole new cast of Captain Falcon, Duck Hunt, and occasionally Megaman and Lemmy. At this point tho, I call myself a Captain Falcon main.

V_x_I_D

Smash Apprentice
NNID
V_x_I_D
Ah, Falco.

I remember getting Melee and unlocking all the characters.
There was just something I enjoyed about Falco, I think it was the fact that he was a bit different than Fox and I liked the idea of using a character that probably a lot of people would've chosen Fox over, I played for years with Falco thinking that I was good until I discovered tourney play and saw what could really be done with him.

I've mained him ever since Melee. I pocketed Sonic in Brawl, but only because He's one of my favorite vidya characters. (I'm crossing my fingers for Knuckles to be released, that's my all time favorite... A guy can dream..)
Anyways, even in Sm4sh with his severe nerfs, I'm still maining Falco.

M.C.Jeducation

Smash Apprentice
:falcon64::falconmelee::falcon::4falcon:- I was a little kid playing Smash 64 and thought that Captain Falcon was the coolest looking character in the game. As I grew older I learned to love Falcon for less superficial reasons and found that his combination of speed and power was incredibly fun to play and was a style I gravitated to in fighting games ever since (Hence why I play Akuma in SF). As well as this, Falcon is the embodiment of hype, and I love bringing the hype.

missla

Smash Rookie
NNID
missla
3DS FC
5472-8401-1251
Yoshi's been my main since the very first game because as a kid, I was always an aggressive run-in-and-smash-you-in-the-face kind of player. I didn't care about projectiles or sneaky strategies, I just liked pounding things, so Yoshi just felt good to play. And because I always played him, when I started developing strategy as I got older, I just naturally applied it to Yoshi. He's fast, he hits hard, he's got great aerials. And I like the irony of slaying people with adorable characters.

Because I like hard-hitters and players you can be aggressive with, Little Mac was another clear choice when I started playing Smash 3DS.

Lemmy is my third main and I honestly don't know why. He's slower and definitely a strategy unit, which isn't typically my style. But I just always played well as him, so I decided not to waste a character I seemed to have a natural affinity to and picked him up. And also, Lemmy is my favorite koopaling. So there's that.

frobo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
fr0br0
Mine is Wario because I'm a guy who prefers to use underused characters to show they're equally as good as the overused ones and that I want to be perfect at things nobody else does. Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Karinole

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Karinole
Melee :falcomelee: Smash was my favorite game at the time and I was having fun playing a bunch of different characters like mewtwo and because my friend recently started getting me into fire emblem I like marth a decent amount. Then I unlocked him. The bird. Every time I unlocked a character I'd play them once to see how they felt and he felt okay at first. Then the next day I got curious and tried out a few more games with him and it felt amazing! He was able to do so many cool things and there were so many great options he had. The next time I played with my friends he beat them senseless to the extent that they no longer wanted to play with me. And that felt GREAT! Probably my favorite video game character to play as ever.

Brawl :ike::wolf: Man was I excited for brawl to come out. The one thing I wasn't sure of was who to main as at the time, I didn't know every character that was in the game. I thought pit looked cool so I figured I'd try him but when I got home and looked at the screen I saw ike. The ike whose game I'd just beaten the week before. Naturally, I had no choice but to play him until I unlock falco. And when I got falco my hopes were high but wait...wut..DAT AIN'T FALCO! They destroyed everything I found really fun about falcoso I left him. Then my friend told me about the third spacie. After a few shaky games with Wolf I found his move set to be very unique and fun so i picked him up too.

Sm4sh - :rosalina: So...the second I saw her trailer I knew this was my main. Mario Galaxy was easily one of my favorite Wii games and an was my favorite character in it as she was so different compared to the rest of the Mario universe. That and her inclusion in Mario kart made me like her even more. So the second I saw she was in smash I knew beyond a doubt that she would be my main. After getting the game she easily became the funnest character to use and ike always seemed to fall short in this game so the rest is history. (RIP in Pastaronis Wolf)

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
In melee i main Sheik and Peach

My brother nad I used to play opposite characters when we first got the game. He picked up Shiek so I played the other princess. I'm ashamed to say I picked up Sheik simply because she is the high tier character who isn't technically demanding, and since I don't own the game anymore I thought that was important. Its one of the reasons a part of me has grown to dislike melee lately, tiers are so steep in that game.

I've only entered one PM tournament but I suppose i main Peach, it a carry over from melee. I'll probably try a different character at my next tourney. Roy maybe.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Its one of the reasons a part of me has grown to dislike melee lately, tiers are so steep in that game.
Brawl has Meta Knight, so far Sm4sh has Diddy. Melee has 8 top tier characters as opposed to those games where 1 or 2 characters dominate. PM and 64 are really the only "balanced" Smash games though.

Vexor1011

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vexor1011
3DS FC
0559-7342-9512
I main Ike, Ganondorf, Peach, and here and there I use Lucario. Lucario is my favorite pokemon, but I'm terrible with him. I started using Ike in Brawl, because I liked how he looked, honestly. I liked how Falcon played, however I couldn't deal with how fast he was. I found Ganondorf to be a better suited play style for me. Peach was more impulse than anything, as after I saw how many amazing combos she had, I felt she would make me a better player. She didn't.

pershona

Smash Journeyman
I main:marthmelee: in Melee because his movement feels natural and he wasn't too hard to start using.
For Smash 4 it's:4sheik: because she has tools for everything.

D

Deleted member

My reason for maining Lucina is kind of odd. I actually played Smash 4 before Fire Emblem Awakening. Before discovering Lucina, I was dead set in maining Link, Toon Link, and Rosalina (I still play as them). But when I unlocked Lucina, I thought her moves were pretty cool even though they are the same as Marth (who I picked up shortly after too). Also I thought she looked awesome. That's when I found out she was in Fire Emblem Awakening and I decided to get the game and play it to become more familiar with her character. That's also the reason why I picked up Robin too. I loved Lucina in Awakening so I played as Lucina in Smash more and more. Like I said my reason is kind of strange and I kind of feel embarassed to admit it. >.<

Casval

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RX-104
these days I play Ike because he fights for his friends and Dedede because he's smiling 90% of the time.

But no really, I like Ike because he's a hard hitting swordsman who's incredibly fun and challenging to play.

My reason for playing Dedede was right the first time :4dedede:

EDIT: @Sanae don't be embarrassed for your reason for playing Lucina. She was my main for a while (and still an alternate) just because she's super cute. Also because she has the same moveset as Roy and Marth without the downsides of Roy or the need for precision that Marth requires.

Last edited:

Trieste SP

Smash Champion
For some odd reason, I always end up maining characters that are considered 'low tier'.

I guess it's a habit of mine to gravitate towards characters that are rarely seen in tourneys. Admittedly, I feel some guilt that these characters don't have much exposure.

I gotta be honest I'ts actually restricting me a bit on tournaments. But then again, I guess my goal is to push these 'low tier' characters as far as I can in tourneys and to see them have some representation in tourneys.

All in all, I think I just want to be an example towards people who are interested in maining these characters.

RyanMelon

Smash Cadet
NNID
RyanMelon
Most of my best mains come from my childhood. When I was 6 I played Pikachu, Pichu (my favorite Pokemon), Kirby (Favorite video game character) I ended up liking the way they played and sort of carried that on. When I got Brawl I played Kirby and Pikachu, and experimented with other characters, and ended up liking Toon Link because of his design (I hadn't played much Zelda at the time). Then I discovered a PM match on Youtube, Mew2King vs Ally. Ike vs Mewtwo, and it was like "THOSE TWO AREN'T IN THE SAME GAME WHAT!!!" So I picked up PM, stuck to Kirby, picked up Pit because I liked Kid Icarus: Uprising a lot, and started playing high tier melee characters. I played Jigglypuff inspired by Hungrybox, my favorite Smasher, Falcon because knee is cool as all hell, and Marth because spiking people is funny. Finally, Smash 4. Playing on the 3DS was too hard for me, I pretty much used the C Stick for everything, so I picked up Little Mac because I ain't using no aerials with him lol. Then Wii U came out, and I swear I practiced over half the cast at this point. I choose Kirby because I still feel comfortable with him, Pikachu for good combos, Lucina because she's like Marth but I ain't landing any tippers X3, and Pit because he's kind of like Kirby and Lucina combined!

Trishkebac0n

Smash Rookie
NNID
TheMexicanGaming
3DS FC
0216-1832-3977
I've mained a few characters throughout smash :)
My current main is the Wii Fit Trainer. I got there for a couple of reasons... When I first played smash for WiiU, I found that my Toon Link had been changed and I was no longer as good with him, so I went for my second, Jigglypuff. I hosted a smash tournament at my house one day with 6 friends and on the last battle we has a team battle. There was Team Retro: With two Megamans, Team Fan Service, Half naked Zero Suit Samus and Shulk and Team Wii Fit, which I was on, with a a male and female Wii Fit Trainer. We lost brutally. When the friend that was playing with me on my team (who was originally going to become the "Wii Fit Trainer Master") decided not to main Wii Fit Trainer, I determined myself to take his place. After playing with the trainer for awhile, I found that I was using a similar play style as I did with Mewtwo in Project M and Melee and I liked how when crouching, they went low enough to dodge most projectiles :D. Since the Mewtwo DLC is coming soon, I've been playing (and losing) faithfully online with the Wii Fit Trainer to practice with until Mewtwo comes out. Who knows, maybe I'll even continue to main with Wii Fit Trainer even after the DLC. Time will tell :D

SALUTE THE SUN!!!

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Although my profile is OMG megaman, I think a much more interesting story is how I picked up my luigi. One day I was watching a Sm4sh tournament on twitch, and saw this guy named boss just DESTROY with luigi. Considering I wanted one more character to cover my ness and megaman in matchups, I decided to pick him up. It only took two weeks of practice before I used him and megaman and won my first local tournament. Even though I will consider mega as my better character, luigi will forever be one of my favorite characters and one of my three mains

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Brawl has Meta Knight, so far Sm4sh has Diddy. Melee has 8 top tier characters as opposed to those games where 1 or 2 characters dominate. PM and 64 are really the only "balanced" Smash games though.
Diddy in Smash 4 isn't nearly as bad as fox and falco in melee. Also 8 characters that dominate is not only pathetic but inacurate. You hardly ever see Falcon in top 8 majors since Hax dropped him, and you also would never see if Peach or Kigglypuff in top 8 if Armada or Hungrybox didn't main them.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Diddy in Smash 4 isn't nearly as bad as fox and falco in melee. Also 8 characters that dominate is not only pathetic but inacurate. You hardly ever see Falcon in top 8 majors since Hax dropped him, and you also would never see if Peach or Kigglypuff in top 8 if Armada or Hungrybox didn't main them.
I think that Hungrybox and Armada getting to top 8 with those characters proves that they are viable. I honestly can't say all that much about Diddy in Smash 4, but at the start of the meta game it definitely seemed that way.

Vexor1011

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vexor1011
3DS FC
0559-7342-9512
I think that Hungrybox and Armada getting to top 8 with those characters proves that they are viable. I honestly can't say all that much about Diddy in Smash 4, but at the start of the meta game it definitely seemed that way.
Any character is viable. It just depends how how much you're willing to learn. How long you're willing to fail.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Any character is viable. It just depends how how much you're willing to learn. How long you're willing to fail.
Not necessarily. Like, I main Bowser in Melee. He is not viable under any circumstances. I've put in hard work, dedication, and I've surely failed a fair bit, but I keep at it. I'll never argue that you should pick a character just based on how good they are, but tier lists do exists for a reason.

TopKek.GG

スーパー かわいい <3
I mainly play PM, and I main Squirtle.

It took me a little while to find Squirtle as my main. I didn't start playing him until 3.5 came out. I used to play Peach mainly, but that's because I played Peach in Melee. I started getting tired of Peach because I played her in both games and I wanted to find someone else.

After trying out a bunch of characters, I realized that I liked Squirtle the best for two big reasons:

1) Pokemon Blue was the first game my dad ever bought me when we moved to Canada from South Korea in 1998. As an immigrant kid who barely spoke English, videogames was a natural way for me to spend my time because I had no friends yet. I remember being so enticed by the Blastoise on the game box, and so naturally, when I started my first game, I chose Squirtle as my starter. Coming home from Wal-Mart with Pokemon Blue will always be a memory I keep close to my heart forever.

2) Nobody seemed to play Squirtle and I loved the way he played. His movement options, and his various random tech that seems to be so unique were all very attractive to me. Plus he is slippery and quick and I like that.

frobo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
fr0br0
Mine is Wario because I'm a guy who prefers to use underused characters to show they're equally as good as the overused ones and that I want to be perfect at things nobody else does. Yeah, that's pretty much it.
Oh, and there's another reason too. Back in the 8th grade, we would have snack time for a good amount of time before having to read and then go to lunch. ...Or something like that. I don't really remember it that much. Anyway, my friends and I would play SSF2 (Super Smash Flash 2) often. I usually played Mario because he seemed very basic at the time, and I was often named the best Mario in the whole school. My friends often teased me about my weight, and saying I was like Wario; fat. I never thought to consider him as my main, but I played Brawl, and saw how good he was in there. I carried that on over to 4, and that's why Wario's my main.
TLDR: We're both fat so we're a good match.

#DarkWing

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3067-7088-3304
I chose :4luigi:, :4falcon:, :4wario2:, and :4falco: for my mains because of my original liking for each of them and their playstyle.

:4luigi:: I never liked my Mario as much as I liked Luigi. I always thought it was ironic that Mario's nickname is "Jumpman" when his younger, awkward brother can jump higher than him. Luigi is such a wildcard in Melee and Brawl which kept my opponents on their toes when facing me. I'm sad that his Green Missile and recoveries are nerfed this time around, now it's more risky to use the Green Missile.

:4falcon:: Whenever I play Falcon in Melee, I feel like a relentless killing machine. I would combo my friends with his N-air then punish with constant Knees of Justice and spikes. I honestly haven't played every F-Zero game but I've seen the anime. I always think of Falcon as the only Smash character that can translate well in traditional fighter. His Brawl transition was unbearable, I'm glad he's buffed again.

:4wario2:: Despite disliking Waluigi, I always had a soft-spot for Wario. His games give him a more humorous personality compared to the Mario Bros. and his play style also captures a wild card element. His air game was unbelievable in Brawl. I always preferred his classic look over WarioWare. His Brawl Shoulder charge should return, the new one leaves Wario more open if it fails.

:4falco:: Falco easily was one of the most entertaining co-pilots in Star Fox 64. He reminds me a lot like Han Solo, a jerkass with a heart of gold. In Melee I never got use to Fox's blinding speed and lightweight. Falco suited my play style: fast and controllable, can take huge risks for huge rewards, and for scoring easy kills on my friends.

Up until recently, I picked up :4mario:(received huge buff compared to Brawl), :4darkpit: (2edgy4me his side-b is fun to use in sticky situations), :4yoshi: (he's a monster this time around), and :4duckhunt: (his hit box is unreal!).
Much love for the Falco players! Although Captain Falcon players are my sworn enemies. Haha!

#DarkWing

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3067-7088-3304
I'll be honest, as a kid I wasn't too knowledgeable about video games at the time so Smash (N64) became my window into the Nintendo world. I played with all of the characters in 64 but never really had a favorite. But there was something about Falco that struck me when Melee came around. He looked edgy, and cunning. He looked just like the Baltimore Ravens logo, BAL is my favorite football team. I was instantly drawn to the smasher.

When I looked up who Falco was as a character, I started to realize that embodied the spirit of the Ravens' philosophy. Play your heart out. So I started playing with him. I was horrible with him at first (still am), but I kept at it. Now I know him like the back of my hand. Fast-forward more than a decade later (22 years old), the Ravens have won their second Super Bowl, Ray Lewis has retired, but Falco is still my main smasher!

"Play like a Raven!"

I will say though, my arch-nemesis is Captain Falcon. Haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom