• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How dedicatted are you to your main??

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
In a rather sudden turn of events...
I think I randomly decided to play :4sheik: exclusively (in serious matches) next year. She's good, and I like her enough for this not to be a sacrifice.

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
Wait, you dislike new Yoshi over the old games?

Anyways, I'm pretty dedicated to Mario in Sm4sh, since he's my best fighter. I only play Jigglypuff or Peach in Melee (depending on the matchup) since my hands aren't fast enough for advanced tech skill. Smash 64 has always been Ness, and PM has always been Sonic. Forever.

33percentgod

Smash Apprentice
There is some validity to this... at the same time very few players are going to get anywhere near a character's potential. (I am certainly not one of them.) I can safely say if the best haven't found something in a character, I sure won't.
1. Don't doubt yourself. Those people didn't start as "the best" either.

2. How can they find any thing if they play a few hours in training with one character and then 5000 hours and all tourneys with another? It's simple math, it doesn't add up. Put that many hours into a Bowser, or Olimar, or etc and I'll say "ok, the meta has been dissected to nothing left." Nobody playing the "low tier" chars, of course there's no advanced techs coming, it's simple lack of PLAY TIME. Put the time in and find the true potential, not basically prematurely kill an entire section of the roster because you can't jump from day 1 into money matches.

Last edited:

kii

Smash Cadet
I play about 6 characters.

While I've tried to pick a main based on who I'm best with in the past, there have just been too many times where certain matchups feel impossible with my "main", and yet by using a different character I can wreck the same opponent who just two stocked me.

If I were dedicated to one character, it would be more about learning every matchup with that character. Since I'm not in the competitive scene, though, it's more about playing whichever of the six I feel like playing, and just picking the best character for the matchup when I want to win.

It also doesn't help that the character you're best with isn't always the one you enjoy playing as the most. Ike is generally my go to character when I want to win, but I feel he's somewhat boring to play and so I don't usually open with him.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
I don't know Where I will be with this if I didn't pick up :4pacman: He was never a Character that was planning to pick at all at first. Was playing a lot of :4yoshi: at the time. When I first played :4pacman: on FG there was something about him that just clicked with me. That and Other :4pacman: players motivating me really got me into him.

I'm going to my First Tourney some time this month and I don't think I would even have the Motivation to go if it wasn't for :4pacman:

Last edited:

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
In the early days of 3DS, I mained :4bowserjr:, but dropped him because I knew that he was holding my results back. I'd noticed that :4sonic: was really good in this game (unlike Brawl, where I tried to main him but he sucked), so I picked him up and he is who I play for 80% of serious games. The other 20% goes to :4mario::4sheik:. When I'm playing casually I still pick :4sonic: often, but I'll also dabble in :4falcon::4diddy::4metaknight::4wario::4pit: for variety. As long as he is not trash, I'll probably stick with :4sonic: in future games, at the very least as a secondary, because I like both the character and playstyle.

Pale Tuna

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sdarian
I am not very dedicated to my main. I constantly change them due to my inability to decide. When questioned, I always reply that I do not have a main. I love too many of the characters to really choose a specific one. Would be nice if I could legit choose one as my "main."

ScarletRed012

Smash Cadet
NNID
ScarletRed012
3DS FC
2079-4334-7623
Personally, Lucina is my always go-to character. A lot of people don't like her compared to Marth, but personally I prefer Lucina over Marth ANYDAY. Why? #1 - Looks. She looks overall better than marth. And the second? Tipper. I don't feel a tipper does much when you wanna play normally. When you strategically play with tipper in mind then yeah you will wreak havoc but I never do and I don't want to. I prefer to play normally, and that's why Lucina is my #1 always use character (but I will play others if I find Lucina to be boring one day)

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
1. Don't doubt yourself. Those people didn't start as "the best" either.
True, but they have a lot more time to put in and a lot more access to opponents/training partners near by... It is a bit if a drive to the weekly Sm4sh tournament in my area, fuel and time wise that doesn't always work out. I am lucky if I can get 4 hours of time in training mode a week... the best have a lot more time to put into it. I will improve, but it is safe to say with the time I can put into the game I won't get to that top level.

2. How can they find any thing if they play a few hours in training with one character and then 5000 hours and all tourneys with another? It's simple math, it doesn't add up. Put that many hours into a Bowser, or Olimar, or etc and I'll say "ok, the meta has been dissected to nothing left." Nobody playing the "low tier" chars, of course there's no advanced techs coming, it's simple lack of PLAY TIME. Put the time in and find the true potential, not basically prematurely kill an entire section of the roster because you can't jump from day 1 into money matches.

The cause and effect argument of this can be debated for years. On one hand, I find it impossible to believe that when this many characters, most of which are completely different, and the clones are at least slightly different from each other, are all equal. Someone is going to have an edge over others under a certain rule set, played by the best in the world. You are right though that someone may discover some things that show a character is better than perceived... but then they get bumped up the tier list and more people pick them up so...

Raven the Obsidian

Smash Cadet
NNID
RavenTheObsidian
3DS FC
3866-8144-2758
Not tremendously dedicated. Triple D is my main, and he is by far one of my favourite characters in any form of media I have ever consumed, but I have been using Cloud a lot lately, and I like using Roy and Pit. I also have several characters I use casually. Dedede is the one I use best and am most comfortable with, though.

Once Bayonetta comes out, though, she's going to be a serious threat to Dedede's crown!

Zethoro

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zethor
I've changed my "main" a million times, but no matter how many times I switch or how hard I try, I always come back to Bowser.

_gold_

Smash Master
I've attempted venturing out to other fighters, but no matter what, I always come back to :4samus:

Rohaun

Smash Rookie
:4link: Since 64 boys. Don't care that he's never been top tier in any game he's been in. #rideordie

:4feroy: My boy! I gathered all the dragon balls to bring him back to Sm4sh and now that he's actually good, it's not a chore to play as.

:4shulk: I'm really feeling it! I always thought he was good, but since he got buffed he's has been an absolute treat to play as.

Last edited:

starbolt89

Smash Cadet
NNID
starbolt89
3DS FC
0860-4559-7031
i don't have a main i can't seem to find one that works for me right now am trying Lucina and Greninja having been going to locals for 8 months and have no luck with anyone

pepi1197

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pepi1197
I've gradually split more of my time with secondaries than just straight up :4gaw: because playing G&W exclusively tends to bring out my worst habits via autopilot. I lean on :4duckhunt: and :4jigglypuff: a lot to get my mind loose before jumping back in with G&W if I find myself getting into a rut.

Tizio Random

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TizioRandom
Switch FC
SW 1700 2165 1827
The first time I played Sm4sh was with a friend of mine: I asked him which character I could use to get used to the commands because I never played Smash with a GC Controller and the last time was with my cousin when I was like 6-7 years old on the N64. I first chose Pit and then Sonic but then I look better at the selection screen and I noticed Rosalina and I was like: "OMFG SHE'S THE GIRL FROM SMG IN SMASH!!!". I picked her immediately because I loved her in that fantastic game and from that moment I never changed my main.
I chose to pick Robin as my second main when I played against a CPU and saw his moveset, in particular his down-b (I screamed OP when I saw that lol) and I thought he was the coolest fighter I've ever seen.
However when I play with my friends I always choose random because I like to try every character, although there are some like Sonic and Pikachu which I really suck with; the other characters that are in my sign are the ones I really like to use.

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
I have a tail fetish, and as such I truly would like to say that I am committed to all of the characters that have good tails in my opinion (Charizard, Mewtwo, Yoshi, Lucario, Fox) but I never truly gave Fox and Lucario a chance, and after a year of using Charizard and Yoshi, Yoshi doesn't feel like he fits my style and Charizard, despite how much I love him and his tail, just has some matchups that are so SO unfun, and his air speed hurts me inside.

Now, I'm finally deciding to break from my dumb obsession and learn Cloud, since he fits my style perfectly. Bayonetta as well, because I just love her as a character. Mewtwo as well because those buffs made him a threat and I should give the other large tailed character another chance after them. I plan to learn Fox and Lucario as well for friendlies so I can at least use all the tailed characters for fun. So yeah, I used to be dedicated to using tailed characters, but now I'm trying to branch out.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I have a tail fetish, and as such I truly would like to say that I am committed to all of the characters that have good tails in my opinion (Charizard, Mewtwo, Yoshi, Lucario, Fox) but I never truly gave Fox and Lucario a chance, and after a year of using Charizard and Yoshi, Yoshi doesn't feel like he fits my style and Charizard, despite how much I love him and his tail, just has some matchups that are so SO unfun, and his air speed hurts me inside.

Now, I'm finally deciding to break from my dumb obsession and learn Cloud, since he fits my style perfectly. Bayonetta as well, because I just love her as a character. Mewtwo as well because those buffs made him a threat and I should give the other large tailed character another chance after them. I plan to learn Fox and Lucario as well for friendlies so I can at least use all the tailed characters for fun. So yeah, I used to be dedicated to using tailed characters, but now I'm trying to branch out.
That... is interesting. I actually have a crazy fetish like that, but I never based my character selection on it. Okay, never is a lie, but very rarely.

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
That... is interesting. I actually have a crazy fetish like that, but I never based my character selection on it. Okay, never is a lie, but very rarely.
it was a bit silly how much I tried to make my Yoshi and Charizard work just because of my tail fetish, Yoshi's tail is nothing special but the way he attacks with it was really nice (http://gfycat.com/GlumFirstDuck). Yoshi just never really felt...right to me, it's time I broke away from my fetish and found my true character for tournaments...after I give Mewtwo another chance...and still play the tailed characters in friendlies.

DERPFISHsaysNO

Smash Cadet
Kirby.
When I started playing 4, I struggled to find a main, as Luigi's drastically changed gameplay and Marth's ridiculous loss of range left me disliking both of their 4 incarnations.
After a month or so, I played Kirby jokingly against my friend's ZSS. I was doubtful because of how awful he was in Melee, but his new combo game (particularly from dair and down tilt) were intimidating. Coupled with his excellent ability to recover and good kill power, I very easily and naturally picked him up. He is now the ONLY character I use when I mean business.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
Out of my three mains, I dedicate most of my time to :4rob:. I really like his playstyle surrounding his gyro, its just a thrill to preform hype kills by landing a gyro setup!! For this reason, I prioritize most of my time to him to enable myself to reach a highest possible skill level.

I main:4lucas: and :4greninja: because I just happened to enjoy their playstyle and I have the most fun while playing as them.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879

>likes good tails
>doesn't mention Pikachu

Sir, I'm a little upset. I implore you to try out Pikachu because his tail is godly.

TailLover

Smash Apprentice
>likes good tails
>doesn't mention Pikachu

Sir, I'm a little upset. I implore you to try out Pikachu because his tail is godly.
it's flat man, props for how he's able to use his tail, but I like other tails muuuuuuch more.

That said I have tried Pikachu

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Well I guess if we're going for aesthetic I see your point since that boils down to preference, although even then, I like the jagged lightning bolt look. But moreso I was referring to mechanically, as a lot of Pikachu's tail-based moves are really good.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
At the 3 or so tournaments that I've been to, I've only used Iggy competitively except for one game where I used Charizard to test my secondary since I 3-stocked him with Iggy.

I've been using Iggy since the day the game came out, and I have no plans of dropping him as my #1 dude.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
While the game was in development i always told people how cool it would be if Little Mac from punch out was in smash bros. And wouldn't you know, Sakurai granted my wish :D. Since i got the game a year ago ive always mained him and played him in prob like 90% of matches. If he wasnt in the game i would have stopped playing smash 4 after probably only a couple months cuz the only reason i play smash 4 is because i get to play as little mac c:

Suzukipot

Actual Mother trash
NNID
em12498
3DS FC
0404-9964-5652
I'm pretty dedicated to my main, but I like using my secondaries along with other characters I just like when I play for fun.

Viv1d

Smash Rookie
Definitely Have put the most time in as Pika, but ZSS is a close second followed by Peach.
If i'm playing anyone else, then i'm not trying to win, i'm just casually playing.

Ih8heels

Smash Cadet
Why would I not be?

I Enjoy the play style of the characters. It takes skill to be good with my mains. Winning isn't everything you know. But beating a high tier character sure is satisfying.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I do think of myself as being dedicated to King Dedede, and want to keep getting better with him, but I don't solely play him, and that will never be the case. The game has too many characters that I like, both personally and because of the playstyles they offer. If I only played as one character, regardless of how much I enjoy playing as him, the game would get boring for me pretty quickly. I like to keep things changed up and interesting.

Rocketman287

Smash Rookie
Fox is my bro, but if I'm fighting in a tourney and the matchup is better for Captain Falcon I'll switch to him for the time being.

Last edited:

SuFiRo

Smash Rookie
NNID
UmRine
I've been playing Mac since day one, and I don't plan on dropping him anytime soon, even to a secondary.

Top Bottom