• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How complex is Robin?

Metarai

Smash Apprentice
I have watched a video where the guy (Gamexplain) answered questions about SSB4 for 3DS. One of the questions was "How complex is Robin compared to the other characters?" What are your guys opinions/experiences?

Last edited:

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Which guy?

And Robin looks very complex:

• The breakable weapons mechanic forces high strategical play based around using the correct move for defense and offense while at the same time keeping mental notes on what your opponent does and which spell to use. Once the tomes break you're stuck with a short range yet deceptively good sword that can also break.
  • With 10 seconds to wait for weapon recharges, mobility is key. You don't want to be a sitting duck for speedsters like Meta Knight, Marth or even Little Mac.
  • He plays a very complex zoning game with a general use charged projectile(Thunder tome), a projectile that acts as a temporary mine(Arcfire), a downwards hitting recovery move(Elwind) and a short range recovery command grab(Nosferatu), with the aforementioned sword and Nosferatu being his only means of close range defense not called jabs. His jab series, however, does a respectable chunk of damage.
  • For other fighting game character comparisons; Chris Redfield and UMVC3, Dhalsim from Street Fighter, and Colonel Radec and Isaac Clarke from PSASBR. For comparison:
  • Chris and Isaac Clarke share the element of zoning with few close range options and a temporary mine.
  • Dhalsim shares a somewhat weak close range game.
  • Colonel Radec shares a full screen projectile, acceptable close range game, wide array of options with creative uses, and deceptive combo ability with close range attacks.
So yes, I've given my insight on Robin's complexity.

Metarai

Smash Apprentice
The guy was Gamexplain.
Thanks for replying! I wanted to know what I was going for when I get the game.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
You should edit that(gamexplain being the guy) in the original post.

No problem.

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
Here's the thing- he's going to be difficult to learn and learn well, but he's not too complex that he'll alienate new players. Yes, his Levin Sword and tomes will break and that'll be frustrating. However, they recharge quickly and shouldn't be a lasting problem (but could cause angst on a newbie who likes to spam). The moves themselves are rather reliable, and his aerial smash attacks are easy to figure out and use well. Yeah, there are advanced strategies that will separate the good Robin users from the bad, but he shouldn't be so difficult that newbies won't use him (unless they're turned off by his tomes breaking).

Fire Tactician

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4596-9948-4995
If he misses an attack, will it still count towards the "break limit?"
Yes, but considering that all of the tomes barring Nosferatu recharge in less than 10 seconds, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Last edited:

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
If he misses an attack, will it still count towards the "break limit?"
Yes, it will. :)

EDIT: Ninja'd. :p
Out of curiosity - did the Levin Sword expend uses in FE:A when its attacks missed? I know tomes did and that standard swords didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Levin Sword worked differently. :p

Last edited:

•Col•

Smash Champion
Robin isn't really complex. He's actually way more simple than what people were speculating.

Most of the newcomers implement new mechanics, and I find Robin's to be somewhat tame compared to say, Rosalina or Duck Hunt Dog.

Hong

The Strongest
Out of curiosity - did the Levin Sword expend uses in FE:A when its attacks missed? I know tomes did and that standard swords didn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Levin Sword worked differently. :p
It did not. It stays true for all swords, axes, and lances, not taking durability unless it hits (including blocked attacks via Dual Guard).

Aside from tomes, bows were also a weapon that seem to always expend durability regardless of a successful hit.

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm getting the feeling that Robin's quirks more so make the game complex for the opponent than Robin himself. But then again, what do I know, I haven't played as Robin in smash yet.
Aside from tomes, bows were also a weapon that seem to always expend durability regardless of a successful hit.
I don't believe that is the case in Awakening. I specifically remember trying to waist a dark mage's mire durability by keeping Lissa (with very high resistance) in range but the durability only decreased when they hit so it ended up being an unpractical strategy.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Can't honestly say I paid attention in Awakening, but the Elibe, Magvel, and Tellius sagas all drained durability on a miss with a tome. Can't remember on archers, I only use one per game, whereas Sages are my favorite class in the series.

Robin's got a lot of room for creative thinking and an above-average skill floor due to the weapons dropping. But at the same time, both Robin and his opponents can catch the sword and tomes when they drop, giving you an occasional item to toss, further increasing your options and skill ceiling. Also worth noting is that his jab finisher (whether Wind or Fire) will also use up a charge of his tomes. Not that critical for Arcfire, but if you only get one pop of Elwind due to using your rapid jab too much, that could cause issues.

Last edited:

Yorsh

Smash Apprentice
He is more unique than complex IMO. It's not hard to learn and do decent sutff with him, but it can still feel weird to play him.

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
Compared to characters like Greninja, Shiek, Peach, and even a character like Tink, we have very little AT's to utilize, and the things we do have are very easy to learn and use. The most complex thing I can think of is Arcfire > Nosferatu which isn't reliable at all. Robin is very unique don't get me wrong, but is she difficult to use. No not at all.

The biggest change that I can think of since Smash4 barely came out from me personally is that I use Thoron a lot less and use the other thunders a lot more.

She has a moderate skill floor due to items dropping, and being able to catch them, but because they flash before they run out you don't even really need to know how much your using in battle. You just have to be aware.

She has a very low skill ceiling from what I have seen. The best Robin's know how to space, using the right thunder and that's all Robin is. Spacing, Arcfire, and thunder for the right moment. Yet, there is better characters with more options to space then Robin.

Overall I believe she is not hard to learn or master (if you are in the right mind set).

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I think he's in the middle. For not seasoned Smashers or those too used to fast characters with reliable setups or combos, Robin might be difficult to pick up. But his gameplay hides quite effective style when bolstered enough to the needs he asks: reads and conditioning can be very effective along with playing defensively. My Robin's quite a punisher while also exhibiting a lot aggressiveness when I close in.

Top Bottom