• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How come you cant JC FSmash?

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
Heyyy peoples,

I know this probably sounds like a newbie question but i just need to know, why can you jump cancel into upsmash but not into any other attack? What makes upsmash so special? From what i've gathered when you jump cancel your essentially, canceling the dash and going into a jump squat, so why cant you do anything else from that?

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
Because if you're doing a jump, the game assumes you're doing an up motion. To do an F-Smash, it'd have to ignore the up motion of the jump and do a completely different action, which could mess with jumps in game already. It'd suck to be able to jump cancel things other than up-smash because people could randomly mess up their jumps.

It could also be the same reason why you can't F-Smash/D-Smash out of a run

You just can't.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Up smash with the control stick would require precise inputs for tap-jump players. The system has to accommodate for this by allowing the up-smash input during jumpsquat frames.

Last edited:

ChefKef

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hayesey
3DS FC
3368-2641-2915
This is an interesting question. It's almost the same as asking "If developers noticed wavedashing, why didn't they have momentum stop from an air dodge when you hit the ground?" And the answer is, that's just how they decided the game should be. My guess as to why you can do JC Usmash at all is that JC Usmash uses the jump squat animation, in which you can buffer aerials. You also can't input smash attacks in the air, so my guess is that Usmash has properties of an aerial and a smash attack, so when you go into jump squat, you buffer the aerial, the up smash, but since you can't smash attack in the air, the game decides to cancel the jump and up smash.

But that's just my guess.

Llumys

Smash Champion
If you were unable to cancel a jump squat into an up smash (or up special), you would have to input up and A (or B) on the same frame. Otherwise, you would just jump. A small window for leniency was required. For further perspective, this mechanic would probably not be present if it were not for tap jump.

Similarly, you are unable to cancel your initial dash frames into a forward smash.

Top Bottom