• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How come players side B the opposite way..?

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
How come some players side B with Fox/Falco away from the stage? Usually when they're close to the blast zone. At least it kinda looks like that's what they're doing. I'm relatively new to Smash (only been to 1 local) and it just confuses me :mad088:

Last edited:

bokunosmashbros

Smash Rookie
That's usually because it's impossible for them to recover no matter what they try, so they kill themselves just to make the match go faster.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
What bokunosmashbros said, plus it's a mental thing to keep their momentum going.

-Dubs

Smash Cadet
Yup, I do this too when it's literally impossible to recover. Same reason why players L+R+A+Start when they know they're just about to lose.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
I've always wondered, how come only some Foxes elect to shoot some randy lasers when they drop a stock? Why isn't that standard for Fox/Falco? The momentum thing?

AirFair

Marth tho
Any damage is good damage, unless the lasers won't hit. Then you side b off so you can quickly use your invincibility to get back into the neutral.

Code Bread

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1736-1424-9042
You would get invincibility either way. I don't see why it's better to not shoot randy lasers. It's like, 1 1/2 seconds of falling time that could potentially lead to tiny free damage.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
If they get back onto the stage faster after dying, it is easier to claim and retain center stage or catch the opponent on/near the ledge from the last edgeguard attempt. If they catch the opponent in a bad position, it might be possible for them to close out the stock.

Last edited:

ButterSoftly

Smash Rookie
Yeah it's mostly a mindset/momentum thing. On paper it's usually better to try to laser for damage, but it's not going to win or lose you the match either way

Top Bottom