• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can you deal with Ness in PM?

Matthew

Smash Apprentice
I have trouble with the Olimar vs. Ness matchup because of pk fire and pk pulse. I hate how pk fire activates on shields and when I get caught in it and I cannot SDI out soon enough, I get grabbed, thrown off stage, and edgeguarded by pk pulse, which is very effective on Olimar. When I cross it with a spot dodge I end up getting punished. I feel like there is almost nothing I can do about it. I guess I should apply more pressure and not give him the chance to pk fire. Any other ideas?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Do you mean PK Flash? Neutral-B?

Ness is annoying to fight against regardless of who you are, but there are things Olimar can do about it.

When you know PK Fire is coming, jump. Doing a full jump, while not right in Ness' face will make it whiff usually because it has to be fired diagonal. You can usually punish it with an aerial afterward. If you're on the ground, and you know a grounded one is coming you can also throw a Pikmin at it, but don't make the mistake of throwing the Pikmin and running into it anyway.

If you're getting PK Flash edgeguarded, you're not recovering from low enough. Olimar can go pretty low if he still has his double jump and Air Pluck. PK Flash can't go too far under the stage. But you have to watch out, because if the opponent is good he's going to try to follow you downward and you'll get spiked or N-Air'd instead. Basically just watch him. If he's already using PK Flash go under it. If he's not recovery mid/high.

Matthew

Smash Apprentice
Do you mean PK Flash? Neutral-B?

Ness is annoying to fight against regardless of who you are, but there are things Olimar can do about it.

When you know PK Fire is coming, jump. Doing a full jump, while not right in Ness' face will make it whiff usually because it has to be fired diagonal. You can usually punish it with an aerial afterward. If you're on the ground, and you know a grounded one is coming you can also throw a Pikmin at it, but don't make the mistake of throwing the Pikmin and running into it anyway.

If you're getting PK Flash edgeguarded, you're not recovering from low enough. Olimar can go pretty low if he still has his double jump and Air Pluck. PK Flash can't go too far under the stage. But you have to watch out, because if the opponent is good he's going to try to follow you downward and you'll get spiked or N-Air'd instead. Basically just watch him. If he's already using PK Flash go under it. If he's not recovery mid/high.
Yes, thank you for correcting pk flash.

You are right, I am recovering too high. I should probably DI the throw down so I can go right to the ledge, unless I am at a high percent, where DI like that could KO me. Letting pk fire hit pikmin does work, but it creates a column of flames that makes it difficult for me to approach and provides Ness with an easier one. You are probably right, the best option is to read the pk fire and punish with an aerial. Either that, or surprise the opponent with a sidestep or roll. Thanks for the helpful tips!

Top Bottom