• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I use Robin to punish a runner?

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
Had an infuriating match today. Shield on the entire time by my opponent, blocking all of my moves. Guy was constantly moving, and knew exactly my grab range. Always shielded just far away enough that I couldn't grab and then punished me with a hit when I failed to grab him.

Would have been mildly impressed if at the ability to run so much if we were playing tag.

Any advice? It takes Robin a long time to kill as is, with someone running away so much it was even harder. Couldn't seem to do anything about it either.

Last edited:

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
Just toss Fire somewhere to limit movement. Also, you're Robin. Why do you need to go in? Just charge up Thoron and hit him with it. Robin is the one who forces enemies to come in, and the opponent should realize that after a few beams to the face.

If all else fails, try to mix up Roll Cancel Grabs.

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
yeah seconding the mix up of roll cancel grabs
maybe predict some rolls with nosferatu too
if he's rolling behind you try reading it with a down smash
arc fire and lightning spells will help as well

Ultimastrike

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ultimastrike
3DS FC
0473-8335-5555
It really depends on who you're dealing with. If he's running away, he's trying to either draw out the match or trying to space you out so he has room to do whatever. Robin should be charging Thoron and using Arcfire to bring them in. Usually I just watch people from my little edge wind up getting hammered by UAir from my Levin Sword if they're stupid enough to stay by the edge.

Frenzy

Smash Apprentice
They were trying to run the clock, had one life over me.

CosmicFuzz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Masterphailure
3DS FC
4511-1602-4990
It seemed like you didn't know your grab range too well. That's a good thing to work on for next time.

Other than that, ArcFire to corner/limit their mobility, then lead in with your jab combo when he rolls towards you and mix accordingly. Arcthunder is a great tool to catch roll spammers as well. You want to rack up damage and force him into the air where he can't spam his rolls. Levin UAir and BAir kills pretty quickly from that point on.

Mac2492

Smash Apprentice
Use Arcthunder against shield-spammers, not Thoron. Arcthunder and Arcfire both provide a decent amount of shield stun and can earn you a (roll cancel) grab even if you hit the enemy's shield. These moves are also excellent against roll spammers. Against a predictable shield/dodge you should punish with Nosferatu as well, particularly when you're at higher percentages.

Roll cancel grab is superior to a standing grab in almost every situation for Robin. Grabs are the main punish to shields so mixing up Arcthunder/Arcfire with roll cancel grabs should gain you some mileage.

If the enemy shields a lot don't spam smashes or aerial into the shield. That only sets you up for punishment.

Last edited:

AA Ent.

Smash Rookie
Camp more often, no need to approach with Robin. Stay on the ledge, throw out some Arcfires as they approach you. Space with Elthunder and if they spam rolls throw out a Thoron. Well timed roll cancel grabs to back throw gets them out of your face and potentially can give you stage control. Jump off stage like crazy. Because of how floaty he is, you can go out pretty far without worrying too much. Dair/Bair LS while off stage, and switch it up with a spike elwind. I can't tell you how many times my opponent thought I would throw out an aerial, so they'd airdodge, I'd wait and spike them with an elwind. Also, his Upair is godlike. It is his best aerial, crazy amount of range and priority, and speed. Spam dat ****.

Robin is a defensive character; it honestly sounds like he was just playing better. You need to be patient with him; like a good tactician, you wait for an opening to attack. Characters like Little Mac, despite the amount of complaints here, are really easy to deal with once you get an idea of how they play.

Top Bottom