• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I tech chase consistently?

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
The main problem for me is I get beat by spotdodge a LOT and usually I punish with d-smash but I can't really do that against peach because she'll get like 60% on me with her d-smash, advice?

zedy

Smash Rookie
If you are losing to a peach's down smash when trying to tech chase try and use a bit mind games when tech chasing, chase after the peach wavedash back and try and bait out the down smash and get a free punish.

zedy

Smash Rookie
like wavedashing in place before tech chasing
running after the peach as if you are going for a grab and wavedashing back instead, a lot of Peachs will try and cc down smash if you tech chase. In other words once the peach sees that you are chasing they will try to down smash by wavedashing back you can bait out the down smash and you get a free punish after the down smash

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
If you are losing to spotdodge from a certain player, make note of that player being a spotdodge-heavy player, and bait it out of him.

fami

Smash Rookie
Can someone link the guide to techchasing via camera movement?
Also, how do u deal with Falco shine / spotdodge? That ****s me hard :-(

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Can someone link the guide to techchasing via camera movement?
Also, how do u deal with Falco shine / spotdodge? That ****s me hard :-(
http://smashboards.com/threads/ministry-guide-to-tech-chasing-spacies.302446/
is easy to find in the sheik boards, but I don't know if that's what you wanted.

When somebody starts shining/spotdodging on me, I start mixing up stuff by giving him time to do it and then boost grabbing him out of it. It's supa hard, but this is a hard game.

fami

Smash Rookie
I saw that post and wondered if there's anything specific for camera tech chasing.
So you don't immediately regrab on standing tech? I currently do it as you say but I'd love a guaranteed regrab if that's possible but I guess I'm just too slow

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Not always. I just try to pick up on their habits. I try to condition them into doing things that I can punish.

TRb

Smash Cadet
Things to note: Usually scrubbier players will DI the same way they will tech. So if they land on the right side of your body then bias yourself towards a right roll.
And it may be because I have been trained on street fighter but try to hear an L press. Its tough in large tournaments or whatever but hearing a spring means I am not dealing with a missed tech.

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Things to note: Usually scrubbier players will DI the same way they will tech. So if they land on the right side of your body then bias yourself towards a right roll.
And it may be because I have been trained on street fighter but try to hear an L press. Its tough in large tournaments or whatever but hearing a spring means I am not dealing with a missed tech.
And if you hear 2 clicks, they messed it up.
You could also do the hbox and fake a cough but actually watch their DI.

Last edited:

Scroll

Smash Ace
For increasing your success rate of d-throw tech chases, the best thing is to learn how to do it on reaction and sticking to that method throughout your career.
Step one of that method is to learn how a given character's animations look so you can recognize them instantly.
Grind 20XX techchasing as well as with a sparing partner.
Real resuslts will show over longer periods of time

Btw. if you get tricked by spot dodging you are by definition not doing a tech chase or even an attempt at one

Last edited:

dude it's raining

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, considering how often you are going to be doing it, you should do it by reaction. Hbox's Dthrow -> Rest is a nice lil mixup tho.

Jmook11

Smash Apprentice
If you are losing to a peach's down smash when trying to tech chase try and use a bit mind games when tech chasing, chase after the peach wavedash back and try and bait out the down smash and get a free punish.
Like what he said. Outsmart the player: SH Fair after a quick WD back..mix up your movements and wavelands and use baits to make HIM come to YOU

Top Bottom