• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I practice alone with Peach to get good?

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Well, Just as the thread title says, Thats what I want to know. I have a Big tournament on the 29 of Sept. And I really want to give it my all to make it top 10 or better. And Peach at tournament level is hard. I played a lil today and I played alil off. Like I could not do what I wanted to do. Or etc. And I started to do bad against my friends Marth. I only won 2 fights. And I usually do well against it and win. I guess I could say it was an off day. But I dont want that to happen when this tournament hits. Saturday sept. 1, Im going to a smashfest where I'm gonna meet a whole bunch of new people and play them. I wanna give it my all, but at the same time I don't wanna play the way I do know, cause I wont get much better that way, I want to try and work on things I have problems with and it may not go well for me in battle the first time around. thus leaving a first bad impression.

Though I know it's not important? what matters is I work at what I have to work on to improve, and not much of a change will happen. I will just want to go for the win all the time and forgot what I have to work on. Its a bad habit I have. Which is why I played for about a year and still have some of the common habit I should have banished a while ago. I have to work on how to think more faster. I tend to shield alot cause I have no clue what to do and Im pinned near the edge. Really against people swords. I cant afford this at this tournament. And I at times roll and get owned for it. I just cant seem to get an idea opf what to do. and I have to think of it fast. Im slow at times and before I even decided to rolll or sidestep I get grabbed or attacked and there goes Dark.Pch

Sorry for the long eassay. Just though I explain my current situation. I have improved seen last seen on the net. I'll get vids up soon. But what I wanna know is........

- How can I pratice and improve alone? (FC, speed, techs, etc.) With Peach

- When playing people what should I do? I know I should not focus on the win more. its about working on what I have to fix. But what should be my main target at this smashfest. What should I do in battle? I wont care if Something Im a weak player cause im trying something new and they get thier wins off me. Best to beleive when I got it down packed, revenge is on the way.

Thanks in advance for those that can help me out here and took the time to read this all. I really wanna go for top ten or higher. And I have about a month to get ready for this. This will indeed be hard.

Betrayed

Smash Ace
Alone? Tech skill is about all you can practice... maybe combo mechanics, but if you get too used to CPU movement you'll get destroyed.

But I used to just mess around against computers, learning my timing and practicing my tech skill, sure enough it DID help when I went back to play my friends. I'm a quick learner though, I can put what I learn alone to accurate use in battles without much trouble.

But yeah, practice combo mechanics (not actual combos, bad habit, esp if people know how to DI at this tournament) and tech skill.

Anyways, it depends on what kind of style you play... Isai had one of the most patient Falcons I've ever seen (and was great) while Darkrains offensive style worked just as well (though not as often)

Peach always struck me as a defensive person, taking opportunity shots whenever they could (just me). I'd say defensive and cautious is the way to go in tournies. I like to "go for the win" a lot in my casual matches too, I usually don't do as well.

Reading over the post some more... as I recall, Peach had a pretty quick sidestep. You could try using that in place of the shield sometimes (ask for better advice, I really don't know that much about defense on Peach)

I guess my last bit of advice is: Take it easy, no joke. The first random tournament I went to... jeez, we just stood in the back and watched people play looking at what they "did wrong" (quoted because we really didn't even know back then)

Yeah... take it easy, also, Falcons love Peach. Well, I do at least. >.>

Righto

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
I practice against Lv.1 Fox and falcon. I work On my FC techs. Trying to keep my fingers in a fast pase and not mess up. Though I find it hard at times against my friends, other times I own.

And for this tourny, Im brushing up on Falcon, Marth and space animals. I dont have much trouble with shiek, but I guess I could work on this match up as well, just to be safe

Betrayed

Smash Ace
I practiced against level 5 or 6, level one is... just a punching bag that moves around and taps A once in a while. At least with a level 5 it's not like playing home run contest.

I actually played Peach today against my friend. I never play Peach...

Don't get too comfortable using d-smash on computers, it was way harder to actually use in matches... uh, float canceling helps a lot but I found nothing wrong with still using shffl'd moves.

I really don't think Peachs game revolves around float canceling everything all the time, this that whatever...

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
@betrayed, no offense but you're trying to give advice to someone who's better than you. If you can't tell the difference between FC and shffl then you aren't playing people who are good enough.

@drk.pch, I have the same problem. The only thing I can ever practice alone is my FC speed and the "peach pillar"

:edit:
I meant the difference in their effectiveness, not the difference between what an FC and what a shffl is

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Lmao at this thread.

Betrayed, you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Well to be honest, to everyone's surprise. I've kind of started maining Peach. Maybe Marth is still my main for now, but I practice a lot more with Peach.

However, betrayed is right about Peach not really needing FCs as much as some Peach-players seem to think. However, shffls just plain suck for Peach.

So anyway... As a Peach I have concentrated on a few things:

1. Edgeguard:
You can't really practice the normal edgeguarding, but you can practice what to do after you have edgehogged for example.. Marth and Sheik after they land on the stage and are in their up B afterlag. Against Sheik, a sweetspotted usmash kills her around 90%, nothing they can do against it, and it's guaranteed to hit their lag if you time it properly. It's really tricky to hit them though. If they aren't that % yet, or you just simply can't do the usmash, do a dsmash to get them off the ledge UNLESS they are good in CCing it, in which case you should float to their other side and reverse nair them. In fact, the reverse nair is better in almost every case, the only exception being when they up B to stage, but are still in the air when you can dsmash, resulting in you not giving them their jump back.

Against Marth you probably should just dsmash, or fc reverse nair if you have the time. Simple enough. Oh yeah, if you have really good timing, you could do a ledgejump(the normal one, press X/Y while on ledge) and then aim very carefully and hit with a reverse fair. This is powerful and often surprises them.

2. Comboes:
Learn to uair combo every character, learn what you can do after every move, learn to tech-chase, learn to link your attacks, learn to chainthrow... Peach is really good at comboing, most Peach-players for some reason just can't combo. Learn to use uair to its fullest potential.

3. Getting close fast:
It's essential for Peach to be able to get close to Marth or Sheik or whoever who can outrange, outprioritize and outspeed them. Turnips are useful to some extent, but at least against the players I play against.. I never get the time to pull a turnip and when I do, I get severely punished for it. So when you pull a turnip, do it far away from the opponent and use it instantly. You don't want a turnip in your hand while you are trying to dsmash or something.

Then the getting close.. practice to jump/short hop backwards into djc forward, after which you'll instantly start floating and hit them with a nair or far. This is a quick way to counterattack against, say Marth. When you predict that they will fair you, you jump back, letting them miss, and doing this you can get a hit in before they can recover, after which you can combo them to hell.

One more thing, when you can hit your opponent with a short hopped nair, or a double jump-canceled bair or something, don't unnecessarily float cancel it. The 3 frames won't hurt, and by taking more time to execute the attack, you risk letting your opponent escape.

There's a little bit of other stuff, but this is the most important thing about practicing by yourself:

Don't concentrate on tech skill, or any of the useless stuff. Concentrate on what could work against your opponent. Think what they are likely to do after you fc bair their shield, for example, and how you can counter what they will do. Think of options with as little risk as possible, and learn to manouver yourself well, taking care of your spacing. Also learn to use your wavedash usefully, for example when you shield your opponents attack when your opponent is between you and the edge of the stage, learn to shieldwavedash into dsmash instantly if you have the time, resulting in an edgeguard..

Bottom line:

PRACTICE STUFF THAT WILL WORK AGAINST PEOPLE, NOT STUFF THAT WORKS AGAINST COMPUTERS!!!

Thank you.

Hope I could be of assistance.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty sure any areal comes out faster from an auto-float than a short hop, and it leaves you with far less lag on the tail end because you don't have to wait for peach to fall to the ground because she's still at ground level.

Jihnsius

Smash Lord
No, the aerials don't come out faster in a float, the only difference is if you land from a float whilst doing an aerial you will only have 4 frames of lag compared to the average 7 (L-Canceled) or 15 (not.)

Already all mentioned, but I'll reiterate; against CPUs there's really nothing to practice other than technical skill and combo mechanics. Try a level 3 CPU for up-throw chain-throw practice (or just go to training mode and set them to avoid.) You can also get most of your practice with turnips on single player, since there's not much to it other than trajectory and force.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
You can't just train in your basement and then one day emerge as the best player ever; you have to consistently play top level players to develop your mental skills and reactions to different situations. A computer can't grant you that. Also, it doesn't matter how much tech skill you can master at home; I can waveshine pretty well in my room, but against real people I'm kind of ****ed.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Thanks for the advice but it seems some people missed the point here. Of course I gotta go and play people to improve. Duh. Im talking about when Im Home alone, what are things I can do. I dont play people 24/7 ya know. Most peole can play people every day. I cant do that. All I want to know is how can I practice things alone. What can I do to train myself at home. and FYI, I dont play CPU as I would play a human, I takes hit from them at times to practice teching since im an odd one and suck at it. I always hit the floor or wall. And Im praticeing to wavedash out of the shield when I shield an attack. Since Lv 9. attack alot, I play them and work on those 2 things. I play Lv 1 Fox and falcon to combo then as quick as I can and not mess up, that way I can time when to put in the next attack and I wont do it too late of too early that I end up doing something else. and to put my frame data to work. so if you think I play them to get better over all and wake up one day and become pro, your way off track. No I explain 2 ways I play here at home. I put the time limitless and just play like that till I wanna stop. now my question was are there more ways I can work on stuff alone at home to improve something like get skills, frames, etc. When I play people its another type of training. I focus on the match, and putiing new things to work. and wont care for the lost cause im not use to it yet. I pratice my speed alone, now I have to put it to work on humans. Things like that. Hope this clears it all up on what Im asking.

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
No Drk.Pch, I'm saying you can't do anything to get better without playing people. You've hit a plateau and won't improve.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
You are lucky enough to live close enough to a lot of good players to find yourself some real human competition before the big tournament. Playing against people will help you a lot more than by yourself. Bad habits really only can be fixed by playing against people who are good enough to punish them. Computers might be able to punish your bad habits, but never because they made an educated guess as to what you will do, like a human can. A computer will be more likely to reinforce a bad habit into you than to keep you from doing it. If you want to practice tech skill when none of your friends are home, go for it..

Maybe your friends are beating you now because you are getting too predictable. Maybe your friends are having good days, and not just you having a bad day. When you are playing in friendly matches, feel free to experiment. This will help you develop more "things that you know" (as you put it). In the tournament itself, that's when you play it safe, doing what you know unless you are forced otherwise (as a sufficiently good player would be able to do to you). When playing people, focus on the match at hand. Not on past wins, future wins, or on getting top 10... If you can truly focus on one match at a time, you'd have a much easier time getting top 10 than if you are thinking to the effect of "I better get top 10 this tournament. Oh, crap. There goes Dark.Pch..."

Top Bottom