• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I not suck at Project M?

PrimeTF

Banned via Warnings
How do I get better? Every time I compete in Melee/Project M, I lose all of my matches. I think I have an aggressive playstyle, but I also want a somewhat easy character. I have no idea what character I'm good at, and I constantly change my main looking for something that works. So far, I can't be good with any of them. I just have instincts that tell me how to react and half of the time I get bodied. I just don't like committing to learning any advanced tech. I don't know what to do.

Last edited:

PrimeTF

Banned via Warnings
Which character in Project M and Melee has a reactionary playstyle. And NO I'm not picking Bowser.

MartinWolfe686

Smash Rookie
Ok first pick one character. switching between 5 different mains every week will stunt any improvement. Choose a character based off of playstyle. watch videos of each character your interested in played by a few different people to see how they play (ie: marth is very patient and tries to stiff arm opponents, toon link is a run and gunner, fox is super agro, etc.). Just remember when choosing a character to be aware of the tech skill required and decide if you want to play a very technical character. From what you've said, I think falcon is a good pick for you. He's good for beginners, low tech, very similar between melee and pm, and you already play him.

Once you've chosen a character, lear about them. Look for any guides and join the discord (www.smascords.com). Start practicing tech (character specific stuff, movement, recovery), and find someone to play. Watch vods of other people who main the same character (preferably ones who get good results) and see what they're doing that you aren't. You should be focused on getting comfortable with your character's movement/tech when practicing alone, and work on achieving a greater understanding neutral game as well as implementing new things you've learned when playing with other people.

One last thing, where do you play? Do you go to weeklies, play on anther's ladder, or play somewhere else. Once you're comfortable, you should start competing and get experience competing with something on the line, even if it's just playing ranked on anther's, a $1 money match or whatever, you don't strictly have to enter bracket.

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
I was in your position for along time so I understand what you are going through. Since you asked this in the pm thread im guessing you want more pm help then melee so I need to know how you practice. Weeklies, friends, netplay or solo? As for finding a main just pick a character who you have fun playing, if you are like me I easily get bored of a character so I would recommend picking two, just so you can switch off when you get bored but no more then that till you start seeing progress.

SmashMaster35

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-6374-6291
PrimeTF if u r getting pwned trying to win, i suggest u probably try and play it safe. Not very easy with Falcon though...

PrimeTF

Banned via Warnings
That's ok. I'm already finding some bread-and-butter moves. Although it's from grabs, so I might need to discover non-grab combos.

D

Deleted member

pick a character you like

practice a lot

when you hit plateaus, talk to other people

repeat indefinitely

SmashMaster35

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4914-6374-6291
Whatever for ideas, here are my mains:
Melee Light: Main: :marthmelee:
Brawl: Main: :luigi2:Secondaries: :yoshi2::dedede::fox:
Smash 4: Main::dk2:Secondaries: :4drmario::4mario::4sheik::4yoshi::4bowser:

PrimeTF

Banned via Warnings
Is Pikachu still reactionary in Melee, or is there someone else more reactionary?

Mentor

Smash Cadet
What do you mean by reactionary? Pika has an above average dash dance, so are you hoping to dash dance and react to their whiffed attacks/grabs? There's nothing wrong with that game plan, but you should have a good idea of what you're going for in game imo.

If you're looking for combo starters, grab->dthrow, utilt, uair, and soft fair are your easiest combo starters (soft fair->usmash is totally a thing for most characters at kill %). Once you get those squared, you have to get more creative depending on the stage & player eg. Nair should technically never combo into anything, but you can totally get away with nair->grab on some characters at some %s.

Pika naturally has a crappy combo game & you should rarely get more than 3 hits in a row, which means you need a really good neutral game and/or be really good at "staggering" your opponent (Strong Bad's term not mine, see his DK guide). On top of that, you need uber good spacing due to both not getting hit while dash dancing on reaction, tail spiking with uair, and grabbing.

PrimeTF

Banned via Warnings
"I found my main. It's Project Ganondorf." Kappa

(tis a joke.)

Last edited:

MachuAchoo

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Morgoth422416
Which character in Project M and Melee has a reactionary playstyle. And NO I'm not picking Bowser.
Ok first pick one character. switching between 5 different mains every week will stunt any improvement. Choose a character based off of playstyle. watch videos of each character your interested in played by a few different people to see how they play (ie: marth is very patient and tries to stiff arm opponents, toon link is a run and gunner, fox is super agro, etc.). Just remember when choosing a character to be aware of the tech skill required and decide if you want to play a very technical character. From what you've said, I think falcon is a good pick for you. He's good for beginners, low tech, very similar between melee and pm, and you already play him.

Once you've chosen a character, lear about them. Look for any guides and join the discord (www.smascords.com). Start practicing tech (character specific stuff, movement, recovery), and find someone to play. Watch vods of other people who main the same character (preferably ones who get good results) and see what they're doing that you aren't. You should be focused on getting comfortable with your character's movement/tech when practicing alone, and work on achieving a greater understanding neutral game as well as implementing new things you've learned when playing with other people.

One last thing, where do you play? Do you go to weeklies, play on anther's ladder, or play somewhere else. Once you're comfortable, you should start competing and get experience competing with something on the line, even if it's just playing ranked on anther's, a $1 money match or whatever, you don't strictly have to enter bracket.
Sorry for the late reply but pretty much what MartinWolfe686 said. Choose a character that fits your playstyle, etc. But, in my opinion, advanced tech is crucial in order to get better. Start with the basic ones such as wavedashing which will open up new options for your punish game and neutral game. Also, experience comes into play. It's simple: the longer you play the more better you get. Friendlies are also helpful because that way you can try new things you are normally uncomfortable with at no cost. Hope this helps! :^)

Last edited:

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
don't think about who your 'main' is, try to stop thinking like that, your goal isn't to find a main, it's to become good at the game. your destination is not finding the right character and moving forward with it no matter what but finding out who you are and how you play the game. just remember that when the announcer says GO! you are in a fight with another human being, at the end of the day, you want to outsmart him and beat him of the stage. you need to teach yourself how to react with purpose and not on instinct, then eventually your instinct becomes reacting with purpose. idk random comments here

Nohbl

Smash Journeyman
Oh, Who's aggressive in melee?
Falco I think, maybe Luigi. Wavedash in down-smash can lead to so much for Luigi so it's very tempting to do. Falco's laser allows him to go in when he wants to and meanwhile still exert pressure from afar.

Top Bottom