• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I not get gimped?

R-E-D

Smash Rookie
As I climb up the metaphorical smash ladder, I find as I go further and further that people know more and more ways to gimp ness. I need some ways to counter this because i'm getting sick of dying at 23% because of stupid stuff.

ShortRound

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShortRound
Try timing your double jump better. If you end up having to use your PK Thunder to recover, try using it a bit further out than normal so you have a bit more time to aim it better.

Just be careful not to use it TO far out because even if they get hit by PK Thunder 2, your range gets shortened which could end up causing you to die anyways.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
For the most part, you should be trying to recover with the least amount of PKT2 use as possible. Always try to use your DJ to either get you back to the stage alone (or basically alone), or to cover your recovery before you use PKT2.

What I mean by "basically alone" is that it's pretty much safe to use PKT2 to recover as long as you're super close to the edge, and your DJ basically brought you all the way there. You use PKT2 to auto sweetspot the ledge as opposed to jumping over it.

At other times, use your DJ in conjunction with aerials or air dodges to get through opponents who are actively trying to edgeguard you with aerials. Cover your recovery. You should rarely be in a situation where you need to recover with PKT2 in such a vulnerable state because you should have used your DJ to either knock the opponent away, or bait out their attacks with an air dodge.

Also remember, PKT2 has invulnerability during the first 1/3 of it's travel. Don't be too afraid to challenge other moves. However, PKT2's distance is cut significantly if it hits anything. Try not to hit things on the way back if you know you have a large distance to cover.

Another thing to remember is to mix up the timing of your PKT2. Don't always use it at the same angle, and the same distance. That's how you get gimped. It really helps to KNOW the distance that PKT2 can cover too, so you know just how long you can wait to use it without dying. Use it early to get into your invincible state and get to the ledge if they're trying to rush in and edgeguard you, or use it late after a well timed air dodge or aerial to get opponents off of you.

And one last thing. PKT can't get eat by the opponent's body if you hit them with the early frames of it. Sometimes, it's safer to be INSIDE your opponent if they're actively trying to eat the thunder.

Those are most of the basics. It's actually something that I don't think about a lot because a lot of it just comes naturally over time. Realistically, you shouldn't be dying at low percents like that even with Ness' recovery. It'll come over time, but don't just give up and blame it on "bad recovery." Ness' recovery is really quite manageable in this game.

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
Pretty much the best way to keep recovering safe and simple is to treat your double jump preciously. Observe your opponent and note if and how they are aggressive offstage. You're Ness and usually a rising fair will keep you safe, that or a rising air dodge can work as well as not a lot of characters can keep up with Ness' dj height and you'll pass right through them. As stated earlier, try to only use dj to get back which isn't hard since Ness' dj is godlike.

At higher %s and if you make mistakes there are times when you inevitably have to use PKT2 to come back. Try to learn as many PKT2 angles as you can. The mistake most new Ness players make is only being able to recover from below stage, which is basically asking to get gimped. One of my most used ways of PKT2 recovering nowadays is actually from above and offstage since it throws off people off a lot since they were expecting the normal PKT2 recovery. So learning to recover in a downwards right/left angle will give you more options in recovering. I've also learned to make the slight adjustments in my PKT looping so I can mixup PKT2ing onto the ledge or simply directly onto the stage since Ness' endlag on PKT2 is short so going directly onstage with it is a very viable option.

If people are really adamant about eating your PKT then do what EB360 said and get really close to them. PKT has some invulnerability on its startup and will knock them away Lucas PKT style. If that won't work then there is also a technique in Brawl called the reverse PKT2 which is pretty much looping the PKT in half a heart shape so that your PKT2 goes in the opposite direction then you were looping it in. I really recommend hitting up training mode to practice that in regularly since it's a tad tricky but I personally learned the muscle timing of it and I can still to this day do it consistently.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
Most of the key stuff has already been said, but I'll add that the idea of preserving Ness' double jump is at least somewhat easier than one might think. Ness' intermediate weight and slow fall speed mean that he can frequently take a solid hit and still be able to float back to the proximity of the stage (either above or to the side of it) without jumping, and you can then choose another option based on the situation.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
When i'm recovering, I always try to mix up my actions.

I like do DJ air dodge sometimes, or DJ Nair (don't underestimate this option) or try to trick my opponent into thinking i'm going to the stage and the kickly fastfall and grab the ledge.

What's really important here is to preserve your DJ.

Last edited:

PKBeam

Smash Lord
NNID
PKBeam64
Switch FC
SW 0386 4264 7224
if they're being too cocky on the edge i nail them with an aerial PKF

Last edited:

rosetta_stoned

Smash Apprentice
Mix up is pretty much a universal answer.

Some of your tools: (missing some im sure)

-DJ
-PKT
-PKT2
-Airdodge
-Fair
-Nair
-Uair
-FF
-PSI Magnet... I don't see enough of this. while situational (isn't everything?) this combined when rising from a jump can really throw off the timing to your opponent. I use it for recovery, edge guarding, and when underneath opponents to bait out an air dodge. Jump -> PSI Magnet -> insert appropriate aerial if applicable.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Just be careful doing this. If you land or get blocked during fair you're free as hail.
The autocancel window on it is reasonable along with how little falling speed and gravity he has so he can do it a little before the peak of a jump and usually be OK. Also you can use his average aerial mobility and shield lag caused by it to move backwards a little if blocked

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Oh, but hitting the opponent with a landing fair is a no no too. The thing has such little hitstun that you can get grabbed during the landing lag even if you hit with the weaker hits. If you land the last hit then you're fine.

Manbeartigerphoenix

Smash Apprentice
If you're expecting a shield you can simply just fast fall, land, and then grab. Good mixup to throw off your opponent, especially ones who like to play really defensively.

Link24a

Smash Journeyman
Oh, but hitting the opponent with a landing fair is a no no too. The thing has such little hitstun that you can get grabbed during the landing lag even if you hit with the weaker hits. If you land the last hit then you're fine.
Oh yeah I always **** myself when I land mid-fair in neutral. I don't let that happen when coming up on stage

ExigeOlimin

Smash Cadet
If you don't PKT2 too far off the stage you should be fine, always get back with a DJ and grab the ledge or just barely clear it.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
-PSI Magnet... I don't see enough of this. while situational (isn't everything?) this combined when rising from a jump can really throw off the timing to your opponent. I use it for recovery, edge guarding, and when underneath opponents to bait out an air dodge. Jump -> PSI Magnet -> insert appropriate aerial if applicable.
I actually used to use PSI magnet to mix up my recovery in brawl, but now, since it barely gives Ness any momentum in the air I don't use it anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom