• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I improve on my movement with sheik?

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
I'm having alt of problems with this cuz when I play against my friends, if I can get a grab I can usually get some good follow ups and my edgeuarding can be decent but the problem is I rely too much on that grab and if I miss I get punished incredibly hard. And become extremely readable. So does anyone know a guide where I can help improve my movement to make my grabs less obvious?

Grass

Smash Lord
I'm having alt of problems with this cuz when I play against my friends, if I can get a grab I can usually get some good follow ups and my edgeuarding can be decent but the problem is I rely too much on that grab and if I miss I get punished incredibly hard. And become extremely readable. So does anyone know a guide where I can help improve my movement to make my grabs less obvious?
You wanna know a secret? Mango understands this game at a conceptual level which is why he is so good. There really isn't a guide for experienced players to tell newcomers or people who want to improve. Based on what you said, it just seems like you should just be careful when you choose to make grabs. Just bait your opponents out and you should be fine. Melee is just a fast paced chess game. Think before you make your move, just think fast.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
Still anyone know how I can improve my movement with sheik?

And thanks for that secret :chuckle:

beanwolf

Smash Apprentice
A couple of things you can work on are just simply ensuring you can utilize a full-length wavedash consistently. If done correctly, it should only take sheik 6 wavedashes to cross dreamland. Also work on polishing your WD OOS game, which will allow you to better utilize approach mixups like run-up -->shield --> punish out of shield.

Something I particularly do too much of is platform movement (it gets me in trouble a lot, but it's too much fun to stop doing), but having a good platform game and being comfortable traversing platforms with wavelanding can help give you an edge. You can also do things like run off-->needle or slap into grab depending on the situation. Sheik has a high short hop and jump in general, so you can reach platforms quickly and abuse vertical movement to try to gain an edge. Be wary of using this too much though because Sheik is honestly best on the ground, but it is an option if you feel too restricted staying grounded.

You can also implement tree-dashing, otherwise known as "that cactuar thing", where you move from your run into your crouch and back into your dash, allowing you to turn around at any point during your run state. Look up Marth's "Fast-like-tree" grab for videos on how to perform this, except instead of pivot grabbing, you just do whatever you want out of it. Partiucalarly good options are doing it into an ftilt behind you or uptilt in front of an opponent.

Not sure if any of this is what you're looking for.

Gいたん

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GlitchG
3DS FC
3797-5929-4063
Movement can be improved by doing drills.
At least that's how I did it
I did drills of 100, you could lower or higher it according to the level of your seriousness or the time you want to spend on getting it down, but here's what I did.
I would wavedash in place 100 times( for you the number could be 20, 50, or 200. Up to you), if I messed up start over from 1. Usually this was the easiest so I would move past it onto Wavedashing the distance of the stage 100 times, back and fourth. Restarting if I messed up.
Then I tried dash dancing the length of the stage counting 100 wavedashes In between my max dash distances , and restarting if I failed
Then for wave lands I just learned how to waveland across all 3 platforms, if sheik doesn't make the "haah!" Sound she makes when she airdodges you're doin it rite

I would eventually get to just practicing moving around the stage, l canceling as I landed on platforms and ran off platforms, etc
Here's a video example of some
Movement practice I did a while back, could possibly help
https://www.facebook.com/MrPorkyMinch/posts/714321858653319

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
I mean as in I'm not fast enough and am predictable (which you've already answered).

Grass

Smash Lord
I mean as in I'm not fast enough and am predictable (which you've already answered).
so don't be predictable? If you still feel unsure of yourself read the last 2 posts that those 2 guys made. If you still think that's not enough watch a few matches of Mew2King's Shiek. Maybe that will inspire you.

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
anyone else know any other good mindgame tools
Thanks for all this help

Last edited:

The Prince: SDJ

Smash Apprentice
go to battlefield with single player glitch.
practice Fast fall air attacks off of platforms.
L-cancel.
Get back to platform asap.
Repeat.

The Lemon

Smash Cadet
I have some thoughts on movement improvement that I would like to share as well! Let's begin with the point/goal of movement!

Melee is a game where, for the most part, your character should always be doing something. Seldom should you be waiting and just standing. If we wanna get philosophical about it, we could be like, given that some positions are better than others, there exists a position(s) which is the best position.

So if you're position is not currently optimal, then you should change that, and you're wasting time (frames, really), not improving your position.

So to me, when working on movement, I wouldn't just like, drill l-cancels on the 20xx pack and see how many times I can avoid the red flashing in a row. That's a good start, but I would drill inputs after the l-cancel, and try to get actions out on the fastest frame possible. Examples of what I do to practice:

SHFFL fair> dash back
SHFFL fair> dash forward (both of these can allow you to avoid being shield grabbed, or lead to a follow-up)
SHFFL fair> SHFFL fair (defensive/spacing tool)
SHFFL fair> jab (frame trap that can lead to follow-ups after the jab)
Run> WD back> Dash forward (useful/safe option)
SHFFL bair> turn around ftilt (another frame trap)

Also, you should check out KK's movement drills. They are pretty sick, and are actually pretty hard:
http://myneverendingbrainstorm.blogspot.com/2014/10/diy-ssbm-movement-drills-part-12.html

Grass

Smash Lord
Thank you all for the help! :-D
No prob, definitely go watch a few matches with shroomed (imo I still think his Doc is better) and Mew2King's Shiek. If you want to look even further back there's Azen, I believe. I think he used shiek.

HolyHam

Smash Rookie
Melee is entirely about movement. At all times you want to be trying to move yourself to a position where you have the advantage against your opponent.

1. Become comfortable with the game and your character
1a play melee relentlessly, learning its mechanics, practicing every movement option and tech, and learning the little things for sheik, like reverse needle cancel.

2. Don't let emotions cloud your judgement, stay calm and detach yourself from your emotions. Always be analyzing your opponent, learn their habits, and use that to punish them with sheiks combo game. (read them before they can read you)

3 Variety in gameplay is crucial, don't go for the same grab setup every time. Sometimes just slow down and bait out your opponent instead (become unreadable and keep your opponent guessing)

4.Watch some pro sheik players, like m2k, and try to implement their strategies into your game play.

TL;DR: Learn capabilities of the individual characters, vary game play, analyze opponent, watch pros.

Top Bottom