• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I improve myself as a player?

arman2c3

Smash Rookie
I am relitively new to project m I started playing as soon as 3.5 came out. We have a club for it at my school that started this year and it motivated me to get better. I play as peach and I believe I am good with the character but I need to be better. I know overall I am not a great player but I want to improve however I can. My technical skills are lacking so I have been working on them. Ive played smash for a while but I just now wanted to join the competitive scene. I want to become the best player at my school and work up in the rankings until one day i can play with actual pros. If anyone has any advice on how to train or what to work on could you let me know? Every piece of advice is helpful. I will do whatever it takes to become better I just need to know where to start.

Mean Green

Smash Lord
Watch and learn all of this, and for Peach, learn her Float-Cancel. In PM, her forward-smash is in a fixed order of Pan->Racket->Club, so keep the best one ready. Abuse your projectile, use it for camping/racking up free damage, for edge guarding, to help with approaches, etc. Once you land any hits, or use a throw that you can follow up with, get as many more followups off of it as possible. Learn how to defensive spacing in neutral and spacing on offense. Stay a step ahead of whoever you're playing, and always expect perfect/smart play on their part.. so try to play as unpredictably and safely as possible.

Watch your gameplay and figure out what you did good and bad. Learn and use various techniques to improve your play. Watch top players play. Have knowledgeable players watch your play and give you feed back. Practice Practice Practice. Use smashboards to gain knowledge. Pretty much all that basic stuff. Study well.
Also all of this. Good luck.

Last edited:

Broccoli

Smash Cadet
Read this entire article, it's a good mindset for all fighting games and some great things to look out for and think about while you're playing. http://www.sirlin.net/articles/playing-to-win

All in all, you've got a long way to go (****, most of us do), but the best thing you can do is read and watch all you can. Learn her ATs as well as the general ATs for every character. Immerse yourself in the smash community, play a ton of games, read a ton of articles/threads, and watch a ton of sets.

Learn all you can and the ability will come. Try to never auto-pilot while playing, every decision you make in-game should be a conscious decision depending on the current state of the match, this will allow you to more easily recognize an opponents habits and punish accordingly. You can be REALLY good at this game without most ATs if you just know how to play the game.

Be sure to frequent her forum on this website and also go to the subreddit for random combo videos and discussion (/r/ssbpm).

Good luck man, see you at the top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom