• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~How can I improve my YL further? (Video)~

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
For the few that saw my first one (http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=92232) I have tried to improve a little, and made a new video. This time, fighting a human. He's not that great, just recently began beating level 9s, and doesn't know any advanced tricks, but he can hold his own.

Please note, I fought him at about 5 in the morning, after a whole night of no sleep on New Years Day, so my fighting isn't my best. Still, it was pretty close. We managed to get in 1 and a half fights. :p Because of the length though, I had to reduce image quality, and I STILL don't know how to get sound in. Oh well. :psycho:

Things I have to say: Yes, yes, I spam Dair too much. At least I'm starting to short hop Dair and L-Cancel it, much more than I do before, though I only L-Cancel about 50% of the time.
If you watched my last video, you would say I probably use the boomerang a lot more. I'm not even sure if I used it once in the first video. The usage of bombs is probably doubled as well, so my most significant improvement this time around is obviously projectiles.
I hardly ever teched. My reflexes need a long warning to remember that I should do that.
I did two grabs the entire fight. Mostly because I noticed I wasn't grabbing, and grabbed a few times. :\ I should probably do this more...
I still can't master SHFFLing. I'm trying, but it is very difficult, especially with YL.

Anyway, here is the video. Enjoy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tagOZKrT7HQ

(NOTE: The second fight starts at the 4:00 mark, if you needed to know)

Chip.

you know what to do
All right, you for surely amped up your spamming game by a lot. I also saw some L-canceling from you too. It's small improvement, but improvement. Pyro, when enemies are on platform, use a uair instead of an arial spin attack. Use nair a lot more and use your d-smash. Wavedash and SHFFL more too. SHFFL'ing increases your game, and I know you've been practicing. Overall, you've improved, slightly.

Was there a second fight as well? My laptop didn't load any other fights :(.

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
I also main Yl, and by no means am a polished YL at that, but I would suggest you nair alot more, and cut down on your dair's (I prefer to SHFFL nair's instead of dair's, just a thought). Also dsmash much more, and fsmash much less. Definately what chip. was saying about using your up-b move, its a much better idea to use an uair or nair. Also edge gaurding might be more effective with either a dsmash, or jumping out and using an nair or dair than just throwing projectiles. Again like chip. said you should SHFFL and wavedash alot more. Also sometimes it seems that you could air-dodge back to the platform safely, but instead you use your up-B move which leaves you vulnerable.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Well, I've pretty much known I should do those things. Dair has always been a favorite of mine over the past 5 years I've had this game...its really hard to break an old habit. :\ ESPECIALLY doing Up-B back to the platform. I've never noticed any times I can air dodge, and I never even thought of it as an option, because missing it would leave me falling to my doom.

I didn't wavedash the whole match. I can do it fairly well, as well as wavelanding, but I'm never quite sure when to use it, so I just shield roll.

I know I hardly did any edgegaurding. I'm not sure why, if I was more awake, I probably would have. I can't tell you how many times I practiced jumping off the edge and doing a nair, then getting back up. Wouldn't that be a little hard with Fox's Up-B though? It might do more harm than good, unless nair will go through the flames.

So, I guess now I need to try and break some old habits, and practice SHFFLing more. But learning when to use Wave techniques is hard, when my cousin only comes around once a month or so, and won't play very long because he gets really angry when I win. My brother isn't that great, and refuses to take a video, and my friends would probably just want to play, especially because we're either all over somewhere playing 4-player, or not there at all. Practicing with a human will help the most, and that's one thing I don't have. :\

P.S. Chip, it's all in one video, and the second fight is on Final Destinatino, at about the 4:00 minute mark. It cuts off near the middle though, because we ran out of tape. Still, 1 and a half fights are pretty good.

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
Yah old habits are hard to break, their were very few occasions I saw that you could have air-dodged back onto the platform, and they looked much safer than using your up-b move. Nair does go through the fox's up-b move, or atleast it will hit, but what i was really suggesting was to jump out and hit him before he executes his move.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Before he executes it? That would be pretty hard...

I'm not really comfortable with airdodging back. I'll probably practice that last.

Good news though, I've spent a long time practicing my SHFFL, and I think I've almost gotten down SHFFLada. (It seems the easiest to start with.) I can do the short hop maybe 90-90% of the time, the fastfall maybe 75%, and the final L-Cancel with perhaps 50%, making for a succesful SHFFLada at least 40% of the time. Not the best, but hey, it's an improvement. The problem is, it's hard to do it while moving, not just standing still. Sometimes I do a full jump in a full run, causing me to not fast-fall and L-Cancel.

EDIT: I've practiced a lot more, so those percentages are more promising, and I'm starting to get the hang of SHFFLana. Getting better. :) I've also been practicing the D-Tilt as an edge-gaurd on several different characters, and trying to find some combos that I like.

Top Bottom