• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I improve my marth??

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
I have been playing ssbm for about 6 months and i don't know alot of people who play smash in my area, so i play practive against cpu. After getting down all the techincal skills i can't find a way to improve my marth in mindgames, since comps are too predictable. Does any one have any advice on how i can improve with my marth?

goateeguy

Smash Ace
it would be helpful if u could post some videos of yourself so we can see just what needs improving. my guess is that if ur playin comps ur not using many advanced techniques. watch the advanced how to play videos on youtube, if u havn't already, then practice shffling, wavedashing, and all that good stuff on a level 1 comp, infinite time on a course u like (my suggestion is mute city so u can smash cars while u play). that's how i got to where i am today, which isn't very far but im proud of it.

_the_sandman_

Smash Ace
Performing aerial bombing raids on the Marth forum
I'm assuming you tried everyone out right? If you haven't yet you should, its good to give everyone a shot.

Anyways, watching videos and other players can be helpful. Of course versing your friends, or even attending tournaments is helpful as well. Just remember to find your own style to smash and try not to impersonate someone else. I can't tell you how many times I've seen someone try to copy a "pro Fox" and fail.

Be open minded, and try to not devote your life to one move or technique.

-=Marth_n_Roy=-

Smash Ace
The best results i've had was to challenge someone that i had no chance of winning. Repeatedly
to the point where is massive ownages started turning into, matches ending with him a FEW points in the lead. To Matches ending in sudden Deaths, to me occasionally beating him.

This works best when you fight different high-skill people. Due to the fact that different people use different mains, and different techniques; you would be getting used to a wider array of challenge to overcome

you want to avoid training with JUST one person, all you learn is how to be THAT PERSON, not an entire armada of smashers.

start off with tourney winners you know that are close to you

in addition. . .watch any decent marth vids a few times if you havent already

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
and o yea one more thing....can someone tell me how to move this to the marth section.

Elen

Smash Lord
Try to use the edit button instead of posting multiple times in a row ^^ A mod will have to move the thread for you, just wait a little bit.

goateeguy

Smash Ace
@ the vid, sometimes ur playing really nice, breaking out some nice violent combos and chain throws, but the next second ur missing l-cancels (i think, can't tell from camera movement) doing full jumps where u shouldn't even be short-hopping and it's a bit of a mess (no offense). Practice ur advanced techs until u feel about to rip ur head off and feed it to rabid wildebeasts to get them more consistent, and then u'll be fine.

edgeswipe21

Smash Journeyman
ya i do mess up alot...but imo i lose because i get phsyced out when i play ( like when i lost my first stock) i watched the video and it was a stupid loss. How can i get over that...?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the only way to get better is to practice.
If you get psyched out, the only way to remedy that, is to practice practice practice all the time....go to the regional boards, there IS someone near you who plays this game, you just have to find them.
If you have a car that will help out.
If you don't, I'm sure that you can find someone to pick you up on the way to a tournament or whatever.
Just scour the globe for people to play with.
If your at school ask around, put up flyers...if your on myspace or facebook, look for smash bros. groups
it takes effort, but it pays off

Top Bottom