• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how can i do this ?

teekay

Smash Journeyman
it's just hugging, it can be done with every character.

practice by standing right next to the edge and doing it, then once you get the feel start doing it by running from a distance. You just have to keep doing it for a while until you get the hang of it, it shouldn't take too long.

Chaudgobay

Smash Apprentice
it's just hugging, it can be done with every character.

practice by standing right next to the edge and doing it, then once you get the feel start doing it by running from a distance. You just have to keep doing it for a while until you get the hang of it, it shouldn't take too long.

i know, but with wolf is way tooo hard compared with other chars

TheTickleMonster

Smash Rookie
With most characters in Brawl, you can just tilt at the right time, directly in the opposite direction that you are running (in this case, the edge) and grab the ledge free of lag when you run off the stage.

Some characters however, including Wolf, cannot.

Instead you have to run off the edge and immediately as you clear the lip, rotate the stick in a clean half circle, to the opposite direction. The difference between the two is that in the other, easier version, one may just tilt in the opposite direction- as opposed to in this one, where you must rotate from the initial direction to the desired, hitting all degrees on the way. think of it as a compass.

if you are headed right off of the stage;

tilt east > tilt southeast > tilt south > tilt southwest > tilt west.

you'll grab the ledge every time. Be careful though, if you fail it, you will most likely fastfall and die.

for this and all ledge techs, try making a level that has a nice long floor, with a platform of regular blocks floating above the stage, then when you fail it you dont die. I made a level for wolf and falcon, just to practice without having to wait for falls and respawn.

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
With most characters in Brawl, you can just tilt at the right time, directly in the opposite direction that you are running (in this case, the edge) and grab the ledge free of lag when you run off the stage.

Some characters however, including Wolf, cannot.

Instead you have to run off the edge and immediately as you clear the lip, rotate the stick in a clean half circle, to the opposite direction. The difference between the two is that in the other, easier version, one may just tilt in the opposite direction- as opposed to in this one, where you must rotate from the initial direction to the desired, hitting all degrees on the way. think of it as a compass.

if you are headed right off of the stage;

tilt east > tilt southeast > tilt south > tilt southwest > tilt west.

you'll grab the ledge every time. Be careful though, if you fail it, you will most likely fastfall and die.

for this and all ledge techs, try making a level that has a nice long floor, with a platform of regular blocks floating above the stage, then when you fail it you dont die. I made a level for wolf and falcon, just to practice without having to wait for falls and respawn.
can i see this stage...i might just try that

TheTickleMonster

Smash Rookie
Heres some pics of my ledge practice level. Ive had great success here- its called AT Zone. Its also great for all kinds of ATs, lots of room for practice, and you can have whatever music you want. anyway here they are

great for practice with any character. If you fail at some kind of ledge technique, you just fall on the giant floor before, so no inordinate and unneeded SDs.

Sirus109

Smash Apprentice
cool thanks...i practice it but i never seem to get all the time...but it was mention that certain characters can do it but diagonal tilt in the opposite direction of the stage....which characters?

metroid1117

Smash Master
The way I learned it is to just roll to the edge of the stage, and then do a quick half circle with the control stick, starting with the direction away from the stage and ending with the direction to the stage (example: if you're trying to grab the left edge, do left -> down-left -> down -> down-right -> right). Eventually, you'll be able to do it just by going diagonally down and then in the direction of the stage.

TheTickleMonster

Smash Rookie
cool thanks...i practice it but i never seem to get all the time...but it was mention that certain characters can do it but diagonal tilt in the opposite direction of the stage....which characters?
Threw a list together- I apologize if there are any mistakes, my brother helped me, and he just learned about ledge grabbing when i asked him to help (idk how he is a pro but somehow neglected to learn that yet, but w/e)

Characters that can just tilt opposite to ledge grab (aka. the easy way);

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Wario
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Zero suit Suit
Samus
Toon Link
Ice climbers