• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Can I Deal with Toon Link?

Uffe

Smash Hero
Hi. I main Ness, and so far, one of the hardest, but not impossible match ups for me is Toon Link. His arrows and boomerang shutdown my approach. When I get close, he blocks or jumps right past me while putting out projectile. Sometimes he'll roll. I'm not sure if even good Toon Link's roll as much as the ones I encounter. When I approach him from the air, he just shield grabs or do an attack afterwards. It's usually a grab, though. I don't think I need to explain my issues with being at a distance against him. As a Ness main, what can help me against this match up? I don't care if it's 60:40 in Toon Link's favor, I just want to know how to get around him.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Shield his projectiles and press on and punish rolls by using PK Fire, dash attack, or just predicting the roll and grabbing him. Also try to predict the evasive maneuver he takes when he gets close, and punish him with an aerial, grab or (in more extreme situations), PKT2. In the air, you can I believe do a n-air and then jump away. Do not land in front of him except as mind games. It leaves you wide open to grab/attack. Also probably would work with b-air/f-air. You can also reflect projectiles with f-smash, though it can be quite slow. Sorry if this seems ineffective. Despite being a Ness/TL main, I don't have much experience in these two characters going head to head, and it's always better to try things in action.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I kept landing in front of him like an idiot. He's such a small character, too. Some info is better than none. However, you said you never went against one or the other as your main or secondary, so I'd like to hear some info from people who have. I'm not disregarding your post, because I do feel it is good information. My PKF ended up getting escaped out of, so I don't think I can do much with it. I suppose some damage dealing is better than none.

Fangblade

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3454-0350-2864
I always forget to save replays of intense matches but I just fought a good Ness the other day. From what I remember, you can punish any of our missed Uairs w/ Air-dodge>Bair, as long as you have some height. Dash attack, Dsmash and sometimes PK fire are good for punishing rolls because our roll is horrible, rolls are easy to punish so just get better with your timing. I tend to roll when I don't have space to pull a projectile and am not sure what to do, it's a bad habit.

FF'd Nair is good for when you have to land on us, because then you can mash A and your jab will beet out our grab. Our grab can be interrupted really easily w/ jab, and if anything you'll clank with Ftilt/jab.
TL's like to jump up from the edge, so always be ready.
Since we're really floaty, Ness's Fthrow is good for setting up your PK thunder shenanigans (keep up the pressure with PK thunder on and off-stage, PKThunder 2 is crazy risky onstage). You can attempt to bait a Dair and punish, but we'll usually throw a bomb at you.
Both these characters don't do approaching but I'd say that Ness has the advantage in that case.

Hope this helps. I might add that if you have any further question about this MU the ideal place to post would be our Q&A thread or even our Official match-up discussion forum.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I always forget to save replays of intense matches but I just fought a good Ness the other day. From what I remember, you can punish any of our missed Uairs w/ Air-dodge>Bair, as long as you have some height. Dash attack, Dsmash and sometimes PK fire are good for punishing rolls because our roll is horrible, rolls are easy to punish so just get better with your timing. I tend to roll when I don't have space to pull a projectile and am not sure what to do, it's a bad habit.

FF'd Nair is good for when you have to land on us, because then you can mash A and your jab will beet out our grab. Our grab can be interrupted really easily w/ jab, and if anything you'll clank with Ftilt/jab.
TL's like to jump up from the edge, so always be ready.
Since we're really floaty, Ness's Fthrow is good for setting up your PK thunder shenanigans (keep up the pressure with PK thunder on and off-stage, PKThunder 2 is crazy risky onstage). You can attempt to bait a Dair and punish, but we'll usually throw a bomb at you.
Both these characters don't do approaching but I'd say that Ness has the advantage in that case.

Hope this helps. I might add that if you have any further question about this MU the ideal place to post would be our Q&A thread or even our Official match-up discussion forum.
I should have probably went with the Q&A instead, now that you mention it. :ohwell: Thanks for the advice. I'd say that this match up is in Toon Link's favor if we were to have a match up discussion, as I believe Ness has to approach. He can get away with PKT at a distance much like Toon Link can arrow and boomerang, but there isn't much freedom for him when he does so. As for dair, Ness' dair is pretty bad. It has to land nicely to spike this time around. But yeah, I'll take both advices in this topic to consideration, and again, thanks.

Top Bottom