• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I convince my parents videogames are not bad?

LordLechuga

Smash Cadet
So here's the thing. I am 14 year old boy who really enjoys gaming I especially take Smash Bros. really seriously. I've just recently started making money on my own since I want to get Splatoon. My dad most of the time says that videogames are taking over my life, he won't even let me play unless it's Saturday/Sunday. My mom says that I am too lazy and I should do something with my life that videogames just make me rot. My grades average from B to A which means that definetly videogames are not rotting my brain. Mom keeps saying that I'm gonna get fat, but I weigh like 115 pounds. (Boniest kid everywhere lmao)

Whenever I ask my dad if I could play mid-week he always says that videogames are becoming a vice and that I should watch movies. I always answer him telling that there's no difference between watching a movie and playing VGs only that VGs are actually interactive. "But films are art." He says. "VGs are too."

If I get any grade below A-, he won't let me play for that weekend. So for example, if I get two Bs then no games for two
weekends. BUT if I get two Cs then no games for a month. Imo that's really unfair, and if I was in his position I would ground my kid only if he got anything below a B-

So the question is, how can I convince my dad to let me play videogames?
I need a good statement because my father is really hard to convince.

Thanks in advance! :B

Little Dipper

Smash Rookie
Hello there! I'm 19 years old now but when I was your age I went through some similar struggles. I have to say, just laying down statements is a bit tricky and you'll have to go a little deeper if you want to reach to your parents.

Let me share my story and give you some insight: When I was 13-14 years old, I participated in my first Brawl tournaments and placed in 4th place (the first time) and 3rd (the second time), I believed I was good (it was a small tournament but that's not important). I would tell my mom that I wanted to become a professional Brawl player but she told me it wasn't a "legitimate career" and I would never make money. She also worried that my grades would suffer (which they did but not for gaming reasons) and that I would become addicted like my older brother did. Both of my parents would constantly tell me that if I didn't get my life together they'd get rid of the N64, Wii, and SNES which broke my heart. Luckily they never did though!

As for convincing your parents, it's hard. It took me and my siblings many years to reveal the good from games. My brother started gaining wind on twitch.tv and was able to make a good amount of money. Once they saw that he was able to support himself they saw that it wasn't that bad. In addition, I kind of sat down my parents and told them about what gaming has done for me personally: built confidence and helped me make friends because I was shy. I told them that it was something to call my own and I was good at Smash.

For my parents (as I assume it was the same for many others), they didn't understand gaming. They didn't approve of it because they really only saw the outside of it with the stereotypical "mindlessly shooting" in Call-Of-Duty. But for most of us that play games, whether they be first-person shooters, fighting, RPG, etc., we see a story. We get to immerse ourselves into video games that let us escape. However, as gamers we understand that we take care of ourselves first: going to school, studying, socializing, working our jobs, being hygienic, service work, exercise, balancing our extracurriculars, etc. Perhaps try to inform your parents about what types of games you play besides Smash and how they make you feel, perhaps show them some graphics and artworks to show that it is an interactive story/movie.

Of course, being 14 years old, you do rely on your parents and you are still a minor. But just talk with your parents and don't argue (which is hard because sometimes my parents believe that I back-talk when I wasn't) and be civil about it. You don't need a flashy powerpoint. Ask them to simply hear you out and explain that gaming is important to you and promise to maintain your grades and health (even if you aren't physically overweight you gotta keep your heart healthy!). Try to work out a deal with them even!

Some advice I can offer is that things will get easier as you get older and I know that's a long time from now, but it flies by fast. The older you get the more freedom you will obtain, especially in college and if you choose to leave. For now, no matter the outcome, respect your parents because they are taking care of you. Being discouraged is normal. But don't let it get you down, if you are serious about gaming, stick around the SmashBoards and never let go of what you love no matter if your parents disapprove of it.

I hope this helps you out, even a little. Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes. :)
P.S.
There are some benefits to gaming too. If you do some research, you'll find that gaming boosts creativity! In addition, gaming and violence have shown no correlation!

koopahermit

Smash Cadet
Your parents seem like hardcore fundamentalists. I don't know if it's going to work for you, but straight up insubordination was how I dealt with my parents.

Theworstmaker

Smash Rookie
Well you can try to show them the documentary. My parents had similar ideas until i showed it to them

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You can't, they're parents.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
My parents are Mexicans they really don't tell me that video games are bad. Pretty much they see me play shooting games all they tell me is don't do that in real life.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Some parents just will never be convinced. You are probably better off not worrying about it.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
money match them until they are so far in debt that they are forced to rely on your savings to stay afloat. they won't question your hobbies after that

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Look up online the positives of the videogames and find the negative things and different ways to fix the negatives. Besides, it's ENTERTAINMENT not brainwash.

Last edited:

Little Dipper

Smash Rookie
Look up online the positives of the videogames and find the negative things and different ways to fix the negatives. Besides, it's ENTERTAINMENT not brainwash.
I agree, and even if your parents don't want to buy into it, it's always interesting to read!
Here's an article about how gaming positively affects your brain. :)

Top Bottom