• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I beat Little Mac on a flat map?

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
I play a lot of casual, which means I occasionally go up against Macs on flat stages. The only thing I've found that works decently well it play as a character like Marth, get an upthrow, then try to juggle.

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
When I FG against mac players I try to play close to the ledge as much as possible. This largely eliminates his f B approach. I shield more and always throw him off stage when shield grabbing. As much as he tries to force center stage, I won't follow until he is atleast at 80%, so moves with high knock back can get him back to unfavorable ground.

I don't always win, but it brings me alot of success.

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
When I FG against mac players I try to play close to the ledge as much as possible. This largely eliminates his f B approach. I shield more and always throw him off stage when shield grabbing. As much as he tries to force center stage, I won't follow until he is atleast at 80%, so moves with high knock back can get him back to unfavorable ground.

I don't always win, but it brings me alot of success.
I'm asking about flat stages.

WolfmanDeerek

Smash Cadet
In short, I think it's best to make Mac approach you and keep the odds in favor of taking him off stage where he is uncomfortable. Mac is good at punishing approach, so take that option away and bait him into a game of ledge play and stage control. If you can mange a ledge trump you can almost guarantee a gimp or dunk, depending on your character. That's why I stay near the ledge. Always.

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
Don't be afraid to approach if you have to. Mac's grab game is extremely poor since it has short range with big start up and big cool down and all of his throws have almost no follow ups so you basically don't have a whole lot to lose if you get grabbed. Approach with shield, bait him to do something, and then punish.

If Mac perfect shields (or even regular shields) your punish attempt after he does moves like smashes, f-tilts, or rapid jabs, your reaction time needs some work because most characters have the tools to punish a shielded smash attack or rapid jab finisher by Mac whether it is a tilt, jab, and maybe a Smash.

Speaking of smash attacks, Marth is actually a solid pick since his smash attack comes out extremely fast.

Despite how much Mac haters like to hate on the poor guy because of his deficiencies, Mac is overall a character you should never sleep on despite his bad air game and recovery.

You may have already seen it, but ZeRo's video on "how to beat Little Mac" puts what I am saying extremely well. Here it is if you haven't seen it already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRw5KabiCjU&t=95s

EDIT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sObxGedLo4

If you haven't already, watch game-2 in this set featuring A Mac and Larry Lurr. Larry does an amazing job demonstrating how one should juggle Mac and what tools one should use in doing so.

Last edited:
Top Bottom