• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I be frame perfect with up air strings?

andrebound

Smash Cadet
I need help with stringing my up airs better. When should you start the up air for it to be a true combo for the next up air? And how to space them correctly. (moving forward slightly after each uair etc.)

Wyles

Smash Cadet
Just keep playing. The Stairway to Heaven should come naturally but it all depends on who youre fighting, how much rage you have, and their percent.

c23lui

Smash Rookie
I find that spacing them correctly has much to do with reading the opponents DI after the Downthrow and after the first Up-- Air.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
I need help with stringing my up airs better. When should you start the up air for it to be a true combo for the next up air? And how to space them correctly. (moving forward slightly after each uair etc.)
Those uAirs need to come out as fast as possible. Spacing is dependant on their DI. Try to find a DI pattern and try to react fast enough to whatever they are doing. Remember that you can reverse the uSpecial.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Actually one thing that hasn't been mentioned here shame on you @ Tobi_Whatever Tobi_Whatever is to determine which part of up air you need to hit with for example, It is significantly easier to chain up air to up air if you hit with the back side of up air.

Meaning for example grab-> down throw (pretend they are not ding because you were that fast like a ninja) to reversed aerial rush up air so that she hits them with the ending frames of up air which lets you jump and up air again a lot sooner and while they are still in hit stun.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Actually one thing that hasn't been mentioned here shame on you @ Tobi_Whatever Tobi_Whatever is to determine which part of up air you need to hit with for example, It is significantly easier to chain up air to up air if you hit with the back side of up air.

Meaning for example grab-> down throw (pretend they are not ding because you were that fast like a ninja) to reversed aerial rush up air so that she hits them with the ending frames of up air which lets you jump and up air again a lot sooner and while they are still in hit stun.
I actually never noticed this.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Hmm well I am pretty sure I seldom go from the down throw with the intent of doing that but it sort of makes sense to both not notice it (if you've been up airing like it's your job since the release) and to have the line of thinking make sense.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Hmm well I am pretty sure I seldom go from the down throw with the intent of doing that but it sort of makes sense to both not notice it (if you've been up airing like it's your job since the release) and to have the line of thinking make sense.
If the second uAir comes out earlier, can you get the combo to work earlier?
Like actually, more than 1% earlier? Guess I need to test this out.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Well that definitely sounds feasible considering hit stun stays relatively the same right?

I can't remember if up air has a sweet spot I'm generally using it for damage never really kills unless I can get the brawl zss up air off the top game going.

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn

So this will always work if you RAR your Uair instead of just popping it out with a quick jump and this is because your hitting with a different part of the hit box due to the RAR? Do you hit the ground or stay in the air after you land the first Uair?

Winnnn _AKA_Walt Piffney

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Winnnnnnnn
you should be able to just ff to the ground and rejump depending on % , positions and junk.
I experimented with it just a little bit. Its very good when your playing the game at regular pace. You know when ZSS is in super sayian mode like she should be... but is this something I should even bother trying to get down in for glory? I was missing my regular Uairs because the different timings for the animations were throwing me off.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Training is better then for glory to get timing because the game tells you of true combos and what's not one.

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
For glory is godawful for learning things, and awful for playing in general. The more dependant you get on good execution the less fun FG will end up being.
also what the nice person above me said. Practice stuff like that in training mode.

c23lui

Smash Rookie

The RAR Up air after a downthrow strings right into a back air most of the time. Nairo uses this all the time

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Yeah I know about that one although it's less frequent in my play when I do use it I definitely am subconscious about it.

Either that or I just think it's cool to reverse aerial rush someone because while simple the name of the tech itself sounds dope. ;)
and actually alot of the time I have seen nairo although granted I rarely look him up (busy johning) I see him to the up air to DJ fair which for some reason looks extremely satisfying to land.

Last edited:
Top Bottom