• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How big of a difference does a wired ethernet adapter make?

Earthboundy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Earthboundy
3DS FC
0173-1290-2436
I'm considering getting one. My wireless is 50mpbs and wired is 100. MY lag depends on the game. Sometimes, there is no lag and other times it is unbearable.

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
Wired is always faster than Wireless. Even if the device is right next to your router/modem for Wireless, a 10m wired connection is still faster (right?). If you want a reliable and faster connection go with wired, but if you experience no problems with your Wireless I'm sure you can stick with that.

Also keep in mind that thise matches where you get unbearable lag may be because of the other person having a connection where they're downloading/streaming/online in another game while they play which will cause extreme lag in the match.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I had alot of lag and disconnects with my wireless, with this adapter my games are running damn near PERFECTLY.

SlyChoober

Smash Cadet
I had alot of lag and disconnects with my wireless, with this adapter my games are running damn near PERFECTLY.
I'm thinking about getting this http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Ethernet-Adapter-Nintendo-Port/dp/B003XWD1G2 can I get your opinion? I'm using WiFi right now and have D:30mbps/U:5mbps, my internet is fast but the best game I have played had half second input lag and in the friends list the connection was blue meaning the best possible. If you tell me you have experienced zero input lag I'll buy the adapter in a heartbeat.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'm thinking about getting this http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Ethernet-Adapter-Nintendo-Port/dp/B003XWD1G2 can I get your opinion? I'm using WiFi right now and have D:30mbps/U:5mbps, my internet is fast but the best game I have played had half second input lag and in the friends list the connection was blue meaning the best possible. If you tell me you have experienced zero input lag I'll buy the adapter in a heartbeat.
The only lag I have experienced with this adapter was one match, a pikachu who I never froze against or disconnected, just pretty noticeable input lag, other than that one match, they all seem near perfect if not perfect, i've played around 100 matches online.

SlyChoober

Smash Cadet
The only lag I have experienced with this adapter was one match, a pikachu who I never froze against or disconnected, just pretty noticeable input lag, other than that one match, they all seem near perfect if not perfect, i've played around 100 matches online.
Sounds good, Which adapter do you use and do you recommend the one I posted?

SlyChoober

Smash Cadet
I purchased this one http://www.amazon.com/HDE-Ethernet-Adapter-Nintendo-Port/dp/B003XWD1G2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1416853364&sr=8-1&keywords=wii lan adapter

I have played online and had completely lag free matches. It is basically like I am playing someone local, seriously its that good. I definitely recommend it as it made my Wii U overall atleast double the speed when connecting to eshop, etc.
Perfect I just bought it an hour ago, will get it Wednesday hopefully it all works out. My experience with the game over wifi is not bad by any means but if this adapter will rid of all input lag then I'm all for it

SaturnFrost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SaturnFrost
A must get if you plan on playing online. i got mine when Mario kart 8 came out. If both players are using the lan adapter the games smooth like butter online. But You can feel the difference when the opponent isn't using one vs when they are. its a cheap item that makes a world difference with online play.

genesis_SOC

Smash Cadet
NNID
genesis_SOC
If your wireless doesn't suck, you won't notice any real difference in gameplay. Wired becomes more necessary for things involving uploading like when you're livestreaming.

But nothing will help you if you have a bad ISP or don't pay enough for good Internet anyway.

Last edited:

SlyChoober

Smash Cadet
Like I said before my Download is 30mbps and Upload is about 5mbps. I think thats pretty good, every other game works really well. But I guess I gotta try wired and see if it makes a difference. I'm willing to do anything if it means no input lag

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Stability. That's the name of the game.

Speed doesn't matter so much, it's about the stability and ping of the connection.

Wifi connections also have all sorts of finicky issues with modems and routers and firewall settings and bla bla bla. I'm sure 50% of all internet data is allocated to forum threads where people are trying to fix their wifi issues for online gaming. The other 50% is adult material.

Last edited:
Top Bottom