• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How bad is Melee's lag on Nintendont?

D

Deleted member

For anyone who plays Melee on Nintendont (a Homebrew app that lets you play GameCube games on your Wii/Wii U without a disk needed), how bad is the lag for you? Does it depend on what controller you use? I play Nintendont on a Wii U and use both the Pro Controller and Classic Controller and it feels rather wonky. Would its feel better if I got an official GameCube adapter considering the game is natively made to run with GCN controllers?

pershona

Smash Journeyman
vWii mode on Wii U atleast adds 10ms of delay and your monitor could also add lag depending on what monitor it is.
If you want to play it with the least amount of lag use an CRT+Wii.

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Nintendont on the Wii U is completely unusable, (even with the GC adapter) as for me it will often randomly drop frames, lag (especially on FoD), and speed up. Whenever I use it on Wii, problems rarely spring up.

So, yeah. It's certainly much better on the Wii.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
Just make sure you turn on native control in the settings so it doesn't emulate the gc controller input.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
With native control on, Nintendon't on the Wii (not Wii U, I have yet to test this on the Wii U) has no (known) issues for Melee that are game changing. Nintendon't has no input lag from my tests, so if you're getting some it's probably display lag from your TV or monitor (or controllers if they are Bluetooth, which would be around 6 frames of lag).

Nintendon't has far less problems than DIOS-MIOS, and unlike the latter mentioned, is still being improved. In response to the post above that mentions of 20XX crashing, that's probably the ISO's problem. You may have built it incorrectly, or added extraneous things (ex: custom music) to it. 20XX is prone to crashes and is relatively unstable with any booting method.

The only problem Nintendon't has with Melee is loading HPS files at times, which is the file type Melee uses for it's music. Sometimes there is minor beeps, but that's literally it. Some hardware like the Gameboy Player/GBA-Link Cable/Modem support is not supported by Nintendon't as well, but this is due to the Wii/Wii U's hardware limitations. The hardware may be emulated in the future.

Last edited:

Nickel

Smash Rookie
I used to use nintendont for multiple games, including melee. Cant say ive had ANY problems with it.

LobotomyPop :^)

You fricked up, mister.
I use 20XX on my Wii and a CRT and there's zero lag (Or ridiculously little). If you're using a Wii and CRT you're fine. The only problem with Nintendon't is for some odd reason R and L won't work if they aren't springed? I haven't seen this first hand but a friend of mine had told me that so I could be mistaken.

Last edited:

KinGly

Smash Journeyman
I use 20XX on my Wii and a CRT and there's zero lag (Or ridiculously little). If you're using a Wii and CRT you're fine. The only problem with Nintendon't is for some odd reason R and L won't work if they aren't springed? I haven't seen this first hand but a friend of mine had told me that so I could be mistaken.
My L is unspringed. works fine

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Make sure native control is turned on.

Last edited:

HoDANG

Smash Rookie
Everybody here said that there is no lag with Nintendont.

But on my Wii there seems to be a lot of lag. At smash club I go to the other TV with the Gamecube and the lag is way less.

Does anybody know if this is possibly an issue with my video cables? When I bought the Wii on ebay, the guy said that the video cables were 3rd party, but everything else is Nintendo branded. That shouldn't matter though, right?

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Everybody here said that there is no lag with Nintendont.

But on my Wii there seems to be a lot of lag. At smash club I go to the other TV with the Gamecube and the lag is way less.

Does anybody know if this is possibly an issue with my video cables? When I bought the Wii on ebay, the guy said that the video cables were 3rd party, but everything else is Nintendo branded. That shouldn't matter though, right?
The video cables might matter and new ones are only a couple dollars, but before you buy new ones make sure Native Control under the Nintendont settings is on and make sure you are playing on a CRT TV or a set up of equivalent laglessness (what TV / monitor are you using?)

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Nintendont on the Wii is fine, I use it all the time and I know some setups at my local use it. As for the Wiiu, not much I can say there except for you should try a gamecube controller.

HoDANG

Smash Rookie
The video cables might matter and new ones are only a couple dollars, but before you buy new ones make sure Native Control under the Nintendont settings is on and make sure you are playing on a CRT TV or a set up of equivalent laglessness (what TV / monitor are you using?)
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the Native Control setting is already turned on. And to answer your question, yes, we do indeed use CRTs.

I've been searching around google and have seen mention of lag in relation to SD cards with slow read speeds. Maybe I need to buy an SD card that has a faster read speed.
Do you have any idea if USB memory sticks function any differently than SD cards on Nintendont? If not, I can just put my games onto my USB memory stick that already has decent read speed.

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the Native Control setting is already turned on. And to answer your question, yes, we do indeed use CRTs.

I've been searching around google and have seen mention of lag in relation to SD cards with slow read speeds. Maybe I need to buy an SD card that has a faster read speed.
Do you have any idea if USB memory sticks function any differently than SD cards on Nintendont? If not, I can just put my games onto my USB memory stick that already has decent read speed.
While I don't know for sure there are people I play with who use USB's to load games and I don't notice any extra lag

Pauer

The Pauerful
Do you have any idea if USB memory sticks function any differently than SD cards on Nintendont?
It probably isn't the SD card. Even very poor performance SD cards will offer more than enough read speeds. If anything, a bad SD card would cause stutter and slow loading times and not input lag.
Try bringing your wii to your smash club and test it out there.

HoDANG

Smash Rookie
It probably isn't the SD card. Even very poor performance SD cards will offer more than enough read speeds. If anything, a bad SD card would cause stutter and slow loading times and not input lag.
Try bringing your wii to your smash club and test it out there.
Yah, the only time I use the Wii is at smash club(sorry for the misunderstanding). I play on dolphin at home. I notice more lag on my Wii than on other setups at club but I'm still not sure why.

I will try updating Nintendont to the latest version and see if there is any difference. I"ll report back the next time I have Smash club.

Last edited:
Top Bottom